8th region forecast

First of all Blue and Black, I am glad you support the Titans, but to say Conder doesnt know anything about basketball is wrong. You better hope your new coach knows some basketball then, Spencer is much better and I could see them being the #4 seed, the Titans are young, Fedderle (Spelling) is a nice player, Pullen and Roberts have a chance at all region maybe. The are not better than Williamstown just a fact, as they have 2 legitimate all region players. Improving all year is a must for the Titans, but remember that Shelby/Spencer/Anderson all have young talent, strong district, should make for an intersting tourney. Conder did a great job for Collins last year with their growth process and moved onto greater and better things for him.

I think most Collins fans would agree that it was time for him to move on to greater and better things and are really glad for him and his new position. I don't mean to bash him, I just think Collins will benefit from having a new coach. I haven't seen their schedule but I assume it will be favorable for them to pick up a decent amount of wins again this year. Like you said it is all about improvement for Collins. I'm sure Spencer has some young talent, but that's a bit of a stretch to say the 2nd/3rd worst team in the region is going to beat Collins twice, let alone once. I know Collins still has a long way to go, but they aren't that bad. Spencer hasn't won a district game since 2010/2011 when Eminence left the district. Anderson and Shelby still rule the district but hopefully Collins (and Spencer) can improve enough to make it interesting.

I think WV may be a little too high. They did not impress me this summer, with returning most of their core.

I agree - I'm not sure that Walton will be able to stay with the bigger schools. And the Walton Player of the Year candidate referred too? .... Haley Ison I guess? Is she a candidate for Kentucky POY? Or you 8th region POY?

I agree - I'm not sure that Walton will be able to stay with the bigger schools. And the Walton Player of the Year candidate referred too? .... Haley Ison I guess? Is she a candidate for Kentucky POY? Or you 8th region POY?

The game that I saw over the summer, they lost by around 30 points and had their entire stating 5. Summer or not, I just don't see them being as much of a contender as what has been said.

Triple sevens you are correct, 20 games against competition would be different. Looking at their schedule they didnt play anyone last season outside of their district really. W-town plays Simon, Walton twice each, and maybe again in the ALL A with Trimble Co. That All A could be fun to watch, anyone know the draw for the girls and where it is held?

At Owen County. First night matchups are Carroll County/Eminence, Gallatin County/Williamstown, Owen County/Trimble County. Walton-Verona has the bye.

Another team not mentioned, that is very hard to gauge preseason is Gallatin County. They have a new coach, which I am hearing great things about, and they look to take up the slack left by the graduation of last seasons POY, Hannah Dossett.

I think it will be interesting to see where they are after a few games. They still have some pieces and a couple of nice younger players. They will be led by a talented veteran and 1000 pts plus Senior, Autumn Bowen.

The game that I saw over the summer, they lost by around 30 points and had their entire stating 5. Summer or not, I just don't see them being as much of a contender as what has been said.

Was the scrimmage that you saw at the Ludlow team camp?

Well...

I am not sure what scrimmage you are referencing, however, I can tell with 100% certainty, that Walton did not play ONE scrimmage this summer without missing at least 2 very important varsity players...or to use your wording "starters". (One was in PT for an injury, and another plays travel softball)

After the first week or two of June, the number raised to 3, as a couple were in Utah on Walton-Verona's annual Quest program trip.

I know one evening, at the Ludlow team camp, they faced a very good Campbell team, with yet, an additional 3 (total of 6, minimum of 4 "starters") gone to either church camp or vacation.

It is totally cool if you think Walton should be lower in preseason considerations...it really is. Who knows...you may be right. I just wouldn't base it off of what you saw in the summer.

Personally, and hopefully without bias, I do believe that, Lord willing and they can be blessed to be injury free, Walton will be a legit top 3 team in the 8th region. They return almost all of a team that competed just fine last year. They will have too much Senior experience, too much talent, and too good of coaching to not be in the mix.

I think the 8th will be very competitive with the following being my top 5:

1) Simon Kenton. They are loaded and a top 10-15 team.

2) Trimble. Lots of talent coming back, and will be a match-up nightmare.

3) Walton Verona. They bring most everyone back, with who might be the pre-season POY.

4) Shelby. Martin is the toughest player to match-up with in the region. The supporting cast is very underrated.

5) Collins. You certainly could make a case for Williamstown, but Collins returns everyone from a team that nearly won 20 games.

I have to say that I agree with LtDan in terms of his rankings. I would list Oldham County as a darkhorse that may battle for the 3 - 5 spot.

In the end, SK will have a much better team than they did last year even with the departing of two valuable Sr's. They have young talent coming up that will be really good for years to come and I look for them to be not only the Region front runner but with a little luck and good draw could make a great run much like Mason Co. did last year. SK biggest kink in their armor is their inability to guard out in the open space so will see what adjustments coach Stowers makes this year to hopefully allow them to pressure the ball more in the open court. As good as their PG is offensively she struggles equally defensively guarding much quicker players. If this team can extend their defense then look for them to be really good as they have a ton of options.

Trimble will be a tough team with the amount of talent they are returning. I don't see them matching up with SK's bigs but fully expect them to put their stamp on the 8th Region this year. They return their two top scorers and top rebounders from last year so I expect them to pick up where they left off. While they have several great athletes, I'm not sure they go deep enough talent wise to win it all.

Walton returns a lot this year as well, I just don't know if they have the team speed to match some of these quicker teams. There coaches are very good and I'm sure they have a plan in place already. They have some very heady players that get the most out of there talent so you can never underestimate a team like this.

I think these are your top three but in the end I think SK controls their own destiny.

Agree with you somewhat about Simon, however, Bosse was a beast, got alot done for Simon when no one else did. May have even been best senior in the region last year. I think the jury is out on them until I see them play without her. Neice is a really good and transfers help. Saw their JV a couple times last year, lost to Shelby, and beat Walton but it was close so their younger talent is good but so are others. I think Anderson, Walton, and Shelby can beat Simon, Shelby has size and very athletic, while Anderson can really shoot it and get after you. Regional semi-final vs Shelby was a great game, Shelby loses 5 seniors that only scored 8 points in that game, and they host the region.

1. Simon

2. Shelby

3. Walton

4. Trimble

5. Anderson

6. Williamstown

7. Collins

8. Gallatin

9.North Oldham (dark horse) actually to make it out this year for once

10. Spencer (young but getting better)

Agree with you somewhat about Simon, however, Bosse was a beast, got alot done for Simon when no one else did. May have even been best senior in the region last year. I think the jury is out on them until I see them play without her. Neice is a really good and transfers help. Saw their JV a couple times last year, lost to Shelby, and beat Walton but it was close so their younger talent is good but so are others. I think Anderson, Walton, and Shelby can beat Simon, Shelby has size and very athletic, while Anderson can really shoot it and get after you. Regional semi-final vs Shelby was a great game, Shelby loses 5 seniors that only scored 8 points in that game, and they host the region.

1. Simon

2. Shelby

3. Walton

4. Trimble

5. Anderson

6. Williamstown

7. Collins

8. Gallatin

9.North Oldham (dark horse) actually to make it out this year for once

10. Spencer (young but getting better)

I think that ranking looks pretty good. Can't debate that too much.

And oh yeah...Bosse was huge for her team, I agree, but I'm sticking with Hannah Dossett as best Senior in the 8th last season.

Yes Hannah was the best Player in the region last year in my opinion, Bosse was a monster for Simon

And I thought Dossett was a softball player. Great all around athlete and a pleasure to watch on the court.

Now we will see who becomes the best in the region this year. Will it be someone that's already been mentioned or will someone else step up and stand out? I can't wait to see!