Auto Insurance

NKY Bandit

Bought a new 'used' car to replace my daily driver. Same car, just a different color and four door instead of 2. Just two licensed drivers and now 3 cars- I was planning on keeping the 'old' one as a spare. I call the insurance company and add the new one to the policy. I get an email with the new rate and it doubles ($75/mo to $150/mo). Keep in mind, nothing but liability on the two cars. When I call, they say the rate goes up because of the extra car. I explain that I can only drive one of them at a time, so why so much. 2 cars with 1 driver means one will always be sitting while the other one is being driven. If insurance rates are based on the driver (age, history, etc.) not sure this makes any sense.

I must have failed to mention all of those speeding tickets. Still, shouldn't make me pay for two full time cars when I can only drive one.

:sorry:

Before you mentioned the tickets my first reaction was you should get a muliti-car discount. I just had to shop around for auto insurance a few months ago and the difference in premiums from company to company was crazy. Also make sure the insurance folks put in the right info for the correct car. When I switched companies they entered incorrect information and had the five year older car valued higher than the new one. Took a few weeks to get it corrected. Also, was told that old discount when you turn 25 was no longer used. You also may have to increase deductibles to decrease the payment.

I must have failed to mention all of those speeding tickets. Still, shouldn't make me pay for two full time cars when I can only drive one.

:sorry:

Sucks, but that's just how it is. The company sees more risk when another car is added, even though you are right, you can only drive 1 at a time. But someone else could be driving that car and the company not know, that is why. I know what you mean, I deal with this everyday.