Cooper 5 Campbell County 4

I have seen plenty of matches that were a tale of two halves, watched one this morning actually, I have no clue what you call the match I witnessed tonight.

Cooper got off to another bad start today, early in the match they gift wrapped a goal for Augspurger. Fullback tried to play the ball back to the goalie, which was 30+ yards away, the pass was poorly struck and went about 5 yards. Augspurger took the ball to goal and planted a shot in the corner. During the rest of the first half Cooper had a couple missed opportunities during the run of play and one free kick that just missed the upper corner. As the half was winding down, Cooper was pushing forward to try and get the equalizer but failed to keep their shape in the back, Campbell Co played a long ball to Augspurger and he was able to one touch it for a nice finish in the side of the net. A very uninspired first half from the Jags.

Cooper seemed to pick up the level of play at the start of the second half but was not having much luck getting anything going. While pushing forward, Cooper let a speedy Adam Clark get in behind them and he took a well played ball (I think by Augspurger) to goal to make it 3-0 Campbell Co. At this point Cooper seemed to be a beaten squad, they were down 3 goals and you could hear a lot of bickering. They were getting completely outplayed by the Camels. Just a little while later, the thunder arrived and we went into a weather delay.

When play resumed there was just over 30 minutes left in the match. Play seemed to be a little more even once they started back up but Cooper was not getting any attack going against what I will call a defensive minded approach. At the 22 minute mark, Snow was able to attack the back line with the ball, a hack from behind resulted in a PK and Cooper was finally on the board. As the clouds continued to roll through, something must have changed with the barometric pressure, Cooper seemed to wake up and start playing some soccer. From this point on in the match they started to control the run of play and actually did a good job of controlling the midfield. During the next 10 minutes Cooper was able to fight back and tie the game up at 3.

I think there was only about 10 minutes left in the match when a questionable PK was awarded to the Camels. The Cooper defender made what appeared to be a nice slide tackle, as the offensive player ran through the play he caught the defenders knee and tripped over him. Colton Schneider converted the PK and put his squad back up 4-3.

Cooper continued to attack what I will call a very packed in defense, they were able to find a hole and tied the score once again. Both teams attacked for the next several moments but were not able to get any clear shot attempts. Cooper played a long ball into the box that bounced around before being cleared out, Snow was there to trap it and ripped it into the upper corner from about 30 yards out. Cooper did a nice job of managing the clock from there to hold onto the 5-4 win.

Goals

CC Augspurger (2), Clark, Schneider

Cooper Snow

Although the Jags fought back and got a win tonight, they will need to find a way to play as soon as the whistle starts the match.... and play for the entire 40 minutes.

I must add, the Camels coach was less than pleased after the match, to the point that he made them run sprints after the contest. I felt they played hard today but were just bested by some terrific play, and goals, during a 20 minute period of the match. It is my opinion that making them run sprints after the match does not serve as a way of preventing something like this from happening again. But as my friend Flops says.... what do I know.

Having watched this play out after the match, I tend to think it was the wrong approach. He chewed their butts and definitely made his point known, even well before the match ended. I just think there are times that a coach should see it for what it is and move onto the next match, I am not sure running the sprints has turned them into shutdown defenders.

YC, thanks for the great match analysis. I agree, it's unfair to punish kids by making them run sprints after a game. Especially in warm, humid weather. What does the coach hope to achieve by doing that? Or perhaps it was not a punishment for losing, maybe for some other infraction we don't know about.

Good point, I guess it could have been for some other reason.

Thoughts amongst the players, and crowd, was it centered around a certain 20 minute stretch in the second half. But further to your point, I could be off base and painting an unfair picture of the situation.

OK, you sucked me back in gameplayedright....

I tried to see it both ways, and may still be incorrect but I will stick with the thought that it was because of the 20 minute stretch in the match. I feel that there are times that coaches could easily step back and see that their players were actually giving it all they had and just were not able to outplay the other team. I know that it had to be tough to watch from their bench, they had controlled almost the entire match but there seemed to be a sudden change in momentum after the PK that was awarded to Cooper. This was confirmed when they were able to add 2 more goals in the next few minutes to pull even.

As the match played out, it seemed like Cooper had taken the wind out of them and no matter how hard CC continued to play it was not enough to regain control. If his actions were based solely on the result of the match, I think they were unwarranted. There are times you could tell your players that although you gave everything you had it will not always be enough, recognize what just happened and move on.

Also.....sounds as if after they went up 3-0 CC packed it in and pulled back extra people . That makes them play a formation that they aren't used to. Players in positions they aren't used to, and it has to affect communication on the back line

They definitely had enough defenders back but I cannot tell you what formation they were playing towards the end. There was a lot of "chase the person with the ball" which really caused the backline to loose their shape and opened up some shooting lanes.

The coach should be running sprints. They have one of the best keepers in NKY who started. After being taken out at the second half he sat the rest of the game. Why? Politics/additude? IDK. I certainly was not due to his play on the field.

Begs the question, could he have saved one to at least tie? I think so.

Also, after Cooper got a couple goals, defenders were constantly being subbed as if it was punishment for allowing goals.

I dont see CC going anywhere until there is change in coaching philsophy to play the best players you have and build up your players instead of humiliating them.

CC did have some talent and should hold their heads high. Its tough going against one of the best players in the region.

Agree with some of your comments Codor...

Not sure what is going on with the goalie situation, just heard there were some issues. As for the starter making a difference, it is possible that he stops one of them. Watched some of the video after it was posted today, three shots went into the side net and the last strike was in the upper corner, I think it is possible that he gets to the second one but this is something we will never know.

I actually thought he was doing the constant subbing after scores because the defense looked exhausted, maybe this was not the case. I am not sure if you could see, or hear, the coach from where you were but it looked like he threw something and on a few occasions you could hear him screaming.... "it is only one guy". To your point, maybe he should have been running also if he was not able to come up with a plan to stop "one guy".

As I mentioned above, I felt the CC boys played hard and gave everything they had in the match. I hope they get their season turned around and have some better results the rest of the way.

I have seen plenty of matches that were a tale of two halves, watched one this morning actually, I have no clue what you call the match I witnessed tonight.

Cooper got off to another bad start today, early in the match they gift wrapped a goal for Augspurger. Fullback tried to play the ball back to the goalie, which was 30+ yards away, the pass was poorly struck and went about 5 yards. Augspurger took the ball to goal and planted a shot in the corner. During the rest of the first half Cooper had a couple missed opportunities during the run of play and one free kick that just missed the upper corner. As the half was winding down, Cooper was pushing forward to try and get the equalizer but failed to keep their shape in the back, Campbell Co played a long ball to Augspurger and he was able to one touch it for a nice finish in the side of the net. A very uninspired first half from the Jags.

Cooper seemed to pick up the level of play at the start of the second half but was not having much luck getting anything going. While pushing forward, Cooper let a speedy Adam Clark get in behind them and he took a well played ball (I think by Augspurger) to goal to make it 3-0 Campbell Co. At this point Cooper seemed to be a beaten squad, they were down 3 goals and you could hear a lot of bickering. They were getting completely outplayed by the Camels. Just a little while later, the thunder arrived and we went into a weather delay.

When play resumed there was just over 30 minutes left in the match. Play seemed to be a little more even once they started back up but Cooper was not getting any attack going against what I will call a defensive minded approach. At the 22 minute mark, Snow was able to attack the back line with the ball, a hack from behind resulted in a PK and Cooper was finally on the board. As the clouds continued to roll through, something must have changed with the barometric pressure, Cooper seemed to wake up and start playing some soccer. From this point on in the match they started to control the run of play and actually did a good job of controlling the midfield. During the next 10 minutes Cooper was able to fight back and tie the game up at 3.

I think there was only about 10 minutes left in the match when a questionable PK was awarded to the Camels. The Cooper defender made what appeared to be a nice slide tackle, as the offensive player ran through the play he caught the defenders knee and tripped over him. Colton Schneider converted the PK and put his squad back up 4-3.

Cooper continued to attack what I will call a very packed in defense, they were able to find a hole and tied the score once again. Both teams attacked for the next several moments but were not able to get any clear shot attempts. Cooper played a long ball into the box that bounced around before being cleared out, Snow was there to trap it and ripped it into the upper corner from about 30 yards out. Cooper did a nice job of managing the clock from there to hold onto the 5-4 win.

Goals

CC Augspurger (2), Clark, Schneider

Cooper Snow

Although the Jags fought back and got a win tonight, they will need to find a way to play as soon as the whistle starts the match.... and play for the entire 40 minutes.

I must add, the Camels coach was less than pleased after the match, to the point that he made them run sprints after the contest. I felt they played hard today but were just bested by some terrific play, and goals, during a 20 minute period of the match. It is my opinion that making them run sprints after the match does not serve as a way of preventing something like this from happening again. But as my friend Flops says.... what do I know.

The bolded. In general I hate it when players do this. Makes me so nervous.

Edited by hoops5

The coach should be running sprints. They have one of the best keepers in NKY who started. After being taken out at the second half he sat the rest of the game. Why? Politics/additude? IDK. I certainly was not due to his play on the field.

Begs the question, could he have saved one to at least tie? I think so.

Also, after Cooper got a couple goals, defenders were constantly being subbed as if it was punishment for allowing goals.

I dont see CC going anywhere until there is change in coaching philsophy to play the best players you have and build up your players instead of humiliating them.

CC did have some talent and should hold their heads high. Its tough going against one of the best players in the region.

I guess this is why the coach sent an email to the parents yesterday about criticising kids from the stands. Must have been a whole lot of complaining from the Camel parents watching the lead slip away.