Morehead State University Football

nikeman49

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be true but those kids that put on the pads on Sat. have just as much pride as anyone.....

I'm not downing the kids at all. I'm an Eagle all the way. It's still very difficult to do much of anything without scholarships.

Could someone please explain to someone like me as to why Morehead cannot afford to offer football scholarships? In-state FCS schools EKU and Murray State are able to offer them with very comparable tuition rates. I just don't see why Morehead State cannot do the same. I would love to see them on an even playing field with EKU for rivalry purposes.

Could someone please explain to someone like me as to why Morehead cannot afford to offer football scholarships? In-state FCS schools EKU and Murray State are able to offer them with very comparable tuition rates. I just don't see why Morehead State cannot do the same. I would love to see them on an even playing field with EKU for rivalry purposes.

I'd guess a lack of historical success in the OVC combined with a limited amount of available local talent for recruiting prompted the decision to drop scholarships. Remember, too, schools that play Division I basketball and wish to also play football, are required to field a Division I or I-AA football team. So their three options are no football, I-AA scholarship where they struggle to compete, or I-AA non-scholarship football where they can play a schedule of like-minded schools and now also have the ability to win their conference and make the playoffs.

Incidentally, Morehead is the only public school in the Pioneer League. The other ten schools - Butler, Campbell, Davidson, Dayton, Drake, Jacksonville, Marist, San Diego, Stetson, and Valparaiso - are all private.

I know at some universities, tickets sales and state money is used for facilities maintenance and athletic department personnel. Scholarships are paid by donations to the athletic department.

I can tell you that I am positive my donation does not cover the cost of the scholarship for one student athlete for the year.

Does EKU and Murray pay the enhanced stipends to the players, now?

• 2 weeks later...
How much is that travel costing MSU for those games? Wouldn't it be cheaper to go back to the OVC and reduce those travel expenses. Get a D1 game and you can just about support a small program for the season with the proceeds.
Agree 100% with you......makes way too much sense

I'm not sure if the stipend applies to FCS. It may only be a FBS perk. Couldn't Morehead do what EKU does and schedule a couple of FBS teams every year to help pay for the scholarships? I know EKU gets $500,000 from playing UK and then they usually ask for $800,000-1,000,000 (plus travel cost) for the other game depending on the quality of the opponent.

I'm not sure if the stipend applies to FCS. It may only be a FBS perk. Couldn't Morehead do what EKU does and schedule a couple of FBS teams every year to help pay for the scholarships? I know EKU gets $500,000 from playing UK and then they usually ask for $800,000-1,000,000 (plus travel cost) for the other game depending on the quality of the opponent.
Would be excellent idea

• 2 weeks later...