AAU Top 5 Rankings

Just because a kid doesn't play for the Travelers doesn't mean that kid can't cut it in the EYBL.

I guess we will never know.... The Best want to play against the Best. No other league compares to the EYBL and to State otherwise is just absurd IMO.... Almost all of UKs team and the primary players on Dukes team played in the EYBL.

Are there talented teams in the other leagues? Yes... The top 4-5 teams in Adidas and UA can likely compete and win in the EYBL. Outside of those 4-5 the depth of talent is not as prevalent...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to say Travelers DO NOT have the best players in the state, so the other 39 teams aren't playing the best comp they can get. So to say they are getting cheated would not be absurd.

The 2016 graduating class in KY would likely have a consensus Top 4 for most that follow BB recruiting closely. Goodin with many D1 offers, Wright, Beverly, and Carson Williams. All hold some nice offers and are going D1 without question. Not to knock any of the other state players, but those 4 are a bit head & shoulders above the rest in the 2016 class based on most opinions. They are split evenly (2 & 2 to the Nike/Adidas state teams). To say who is the best team or not the best team is of one's own opinion. Some programs have the ability to take reclassified players and also you can ad border state kids (up to 3) which also impact how good a team is.

The debate will last all summer, but the level of competition is good on the shoe circuit sponsored leagues due to the $$$ that fund travel. Follow the money and you usually will find the best gathered. Some leagues are better than others, but there are great players in all the leagues. Under Armor has arguably the #1 2016 kid in Josh Jackson and UA does not even sponsor any team in KY on their UA Association circuit this season. While we pat our backs then kick our foes, fact still remains there have been few and far between elite D1 recruits from our state that make the shoe companies drool over us. DeAngelo Russel who left the state to go to HS in FL and ended up playing for E1T1 out of FL is by far the biggest catch that each of the shoe companies are eager to shovel out endorsement dollars to now that he will be a Top 5 lottery pick.

I guess we will never know.... The Best want to play against the Best. No other league compares to the EYBL and to State otherwise is just absurd IMO.... Almost all of UKs team and the primary players on Dukes team played in the EYBL.

Are there talented teams in the other leagues? Yes... The top 4-5 teams in Adidas and UA can likely compete and win in the EYBL. Outside of those 4-5 the depth of talent is not as prevalent...

I have never said the EYBL wasn't the top league in AAU. What I am saying is that just because a kid plays for the Travelers doesn't make him the best player in his class. Just because a kid doesn't play for the Travelers doesn't mean he can't play in the EYBL. I get everyone goes hard for the organization that they are affiliated to but to act like some kids that don't play for the Travelers can't cut it or won't cut it isn't a correct opinion.

I don't know why you have to constantly tout the EYBL as THE circuit. Along the lines of someone else's comment, there's not a KY kid that could dominate any of the 3 leagues being discussed. AND there's not a KY kid that would not be challenged going against the competition in any 3 of these leagues. So, should we be touting the league or doing our best to tout (all) KY kids? Which league is best is irrelevant in that regard.

If you're good enough coaches will come watch you regardless of which league you play in. No doubt though, when it comes to talent the EYBL has more talent than any other league.

Gregg Marshall and I were discussing this last night while watching Jayson Tatum v Michael Porter Jr after he asked "What happened to the KY kid?" in reference to Goodin.

Has anyone in the 2016 class performed better than Beverly against elite competition for 2-plus years? The answer is no.

Are there better players in KY in the 2016 class? Maybe, maybe not. But Braxton has performed much better and much more consistently on the biggest stage for the longest period of time, and that isn't arguable.

Based on production to this point, there is no debate.

100% agree. There are no better basketball players in the state than Braxton. There are better athletes.

The tone is that those not in the EYBL can't cut it. If they were that good maybe they'd do something easier than playing in the EYBL like guide their teams to a region title.

No offense to you Coach Q or Hoop Dreams or any other AAU program in the state but if Quentin Goodin and Eli Wright truly believe that not playing in the EYBL is their best option than they were given some bad advice. Plain and simple. I realize that their are other great programs (my son plays for one of them) out their but if you are a top kid in your state/class their is no better option. Especially this year when one of the tournaments is in your own state.

Cheers to all the KY AAU programs though!!!! gives kids an opportunity to play at all levels.

No offense to you Coach Q or Hoop Dreams or any other AAU program in the state but if Quentin Goodin and Eli Wright truly believe that not playing in the EYBL is their best option than they were given some bad advice. Plain and simple. I realize that their are other great programs (my son plays for one of them) out their but if you are a top kid in your state/class their is no better option. Especially this year when one of the tournaments is in your own state.

Cheers to all the KY AAU programs though!!!! gives kids an opportunity to play at all levels.

I coach in the EYBL and I don't believe that this is true. Best option for what? While the most talent and best teams might be in the EYBL as a whole, there are tons of top players that are doing very well for themselves that never played one minute in the EYBL. College coaches go to all three circuits now and if you perform, you will be seen and recruited. I think there are a lot of people with a false sense of how scouting, rankings, and recruiting works.

I coach in the EYBL and I don't believe that this is true. Best option for what? While the most talent and best teams might be in the EYBL as a whole, there are tons of top players that are doing very well for themselves that never played one minute in the EYBL. College coaches go to all three circuits now and if you perform, you will be seen and recruited. I think there are a lot of people with a false sense of how scouting, rankings, and recruiting works.

I agree with this sentiment. I would suggest that when you compare win/loss records there is a tougher level of competition that EYBL provides in terms of depth and a .500 team playing an EYBL schedule may be better than an .750 winning percentage team in another circuit or team that does not play a circuit. But Elite players who are playing in the 3 top circuits are not better than other Elite players just because they happen to be playing EYBL. There are even a few that slip out of the shoe sponsored circuits that may be just as Elite, but very few slip off the radar of those teams sponsored and playing in the shoe circuits.