NKY Legends - Boys 13U

Guest BBParent

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was listed that way because the Legends 14U team had entered the tournament as well, but then dropped out due to scheduling conflict. It was listed that way just to differentiate the two teams on the initial schedule that was posted. We have two 14U players, which is why we played last week in the 14U DII and then this week as well just so all the kids could play together. Majority of our team is comprised of 13U players.

I was down at KBA this weekend, and got to see the Legends team for the first time. I know it was D3 of U14, but if they are really U13, they were impressive. I watched portions of their game against Shining Stars and Ky Lightning, and they won both of them by double digits. The Legends team didnt really looked like they had any superstars or kids that made you say, "Wow". But, they are really good at moving the ball, and getting a quality shot on each possession. They played full court, man to man defense the entire game. They play really hard, and they had about 12 kids that seemed to come in waves. They were fun to watch.

So is your question whether the Legends have any older kids that won't be eligible for 13U, i.e. 7th graders who turned 14 before August 1? Anyone know?

I know of one. He and my boys had similar issues in 1st grade. His being held back was legit, and this rule punishes him. Like I said, the rule dropping now punishes kids b/c it is too late to find similar teams in the U14 age group. Not to mention how much he loves his team and coaches. Now the Legends are playing in U-14 events to accomodate which is awesome on the coaches' parts.

I forgot to add that Legends did win the U14 D3 tournament this weekend. The games I saw were the semis against Shine Stars and the finals against Ky Lightning. They won 13U D2 last weekend; and 14U D3 this weekend.

Who played for the U14 Shining Stars?
Shining Stars has 7th grade team that played in 14U last weekend.

There is a 13U & 14U SS team in Ohio. But the NKY team is a 7th grade team that played in 14U. There are a couple kids with August birthdays that prevent us from being a 13U team. We also could have played in 13U with out those kids but we chose to play in The Bearcat as a 7th grade team instead.

I watched those two play at the end of last year and this past weekend. Someone in stands mentioned that The Legends hasn't been beated by a team in the same age group since SS beat them last summer in the RGB event that ICE won. I recall SS beating The Legends handily and taking ICE to OT in that event last year. I was actually surprised at the margin The Legends won by this past weekend. They looked really good. Does anyone know where the little point guard SS had last year is playing? He was dynamite little firecracker.

The PG for Shining Stars, Mason, is a really good player. He was not there on Sunday. Likewise, two of the kids that usually start for Legends missed the semifinal game due to baseball. One of them did play in the Championship game though.

I believe Legends beat ICE the weekend before in the U14 D2 bracket.

This Legends team has probably changed 50% of their roster from a year ago.

The PG for Shining Stars, Mason, is a really good player. He was not there on Sunday. Likewise, two of the kids that usually start for Legends missed the semifinal game due to baseball. One of them did play in the Championship game though.

I believe Legends beat ICE the weekend before in the U14 D2 bracket.

This Legends team has probably changed 50% of their roster from a year ago.

You help coach the Legends 13U team, correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Legends played the Eddie Ford in Lou a few weeks ago. The field was only three teams (Wisc & Ala). They had to shuffle the tournament and make it double elimination. Legends beat a bad Wisc team twice by double digits. They beat Ala by 12 the first game, and then lost to Ala by 2pts and 5pts in Championship game. The Ala team was Bledsoe Ice a very good organization out of Birmingham. While the field wasn't big, good competition was provided by ICE for 3 games.

This past weekend, Legends played in the Spring Jam at Courts4Sports. The field of 11 teams wasn't great, but there was a very good Ohio Ballstars-White team that beat Legends at the buzzer in pool play. Legends played them again in the Championship game after beating Dayton-Metro & Dayton Pilots, and beat Ohio Ballstars for the Championship in a very close and exciting game. The Ballstars team actually made it to the semis in the Silver Div of the Lebron James tournament before losing to George Hill a few weeks ago. They are really good.

It seems that most of the U13 / 7th Grade tournament divisions don't have as many teams as they have in the past. There are usually 1 or 2 pretty good teams, and the rest aren't as strong. Legends have won 8 of the 11 tournaments that they have entered.

Legends played the Eddie Ford in Lou a few weeks ago. The field was only three teams (Wisc & Ala). They had to shuffle the tournament and make it double elimination. Legends beat a bad Wisc team twice by double digits. They beat Ala by 12 the first game' date=' and then lost to Ala by 2pts and 5pts in Championship game. The Ala team was Bledsoe Ice a very good organization out of Birmingham. While the field wasn't big, good competition was provided by ICE for 3 games. This past weekend, Legends played in the Spring Jam at Courts4Sports. The field of 11 teams wasn't great, but there was a very good Ohio Ballstars-White team that beat Legends at the buzzer in pool play. Legends played them again in the Championship game after beating Dayton-Metro & Dayton Pilots, and beat Ohio Ballstars for the Championship in a very close and exciting game. The Ballstars team actually made it to the semis in the Silver Div of the Lebron James tournament before losing to George Hill a few weeks ago. They are really good. It seems that most of the U13 / 7th Grade tournament divisions don't have as many teams as they have in the past. There are usually 1 or 2 pretty good teams, and the rest aren't as strong. Legends have won 8 of the 11 tournaments that they have entered.[/quote']

This is Coach Godwin from Shining Stars.

I think you've just had bad luck in some of your tourney draws this year. The Eddie Ford thing was a joke. I can't believe they turned so many teams away and then ended up with so few. The Mid Ohio Puma team that was in it is truly a great team. (One of the best I've faced in this area) not sure why they didn't play.

We've played in 7 events this spring. We've won four of the seven. But, the best tournaments that we've been in have been in Greater Cincinnati.

Cincy Shock/SP Shooter event had 12

Ohio Players had 14 (I think)

Bearcat had 32 teams

Viking Classic had 17 teams

Under Armour Queen City Cup had 12

The Kings Island event next weekend will have close to 30 also. (You guys need to join us and The BallStars in it)

The BallStars White are a great group. We beat them in the Ohio Players in another spirited event. Thursday we are actually going to their gym to have an instructional scrimmage. Should be interesting.

I've also talked to their coach Trey Hardin about playing in a KY/OH final four event. My plan is to invite his BallStar team, your Legends team and one other team form Cincy. Maybe AirKev. Trey and I agreed that these 4 teams are probably the top four 7th grade teams in Greater Cincy this year. Excluding SWOH Elite on purpose .... Not my idea ;-)

This would be a very fun event to do during the week. I'll be contacting you about it soon.