Reliever Minimums

Can't find the ESPN thread, but found an interesting piece earlier today about relievers having to face a minimum of two batters (unless the inning or game ends) being tossed around as a suggestion for speeding up the game. I personally think it's a great idea and that it could hurry things along. The piece had some interesting numbers on the number of roster slots that are currently held by relievers and how the trend is moving toward them individually pitching to fewer batters.

Not a bad idea to look into it...

Personally, I've grown tired of the lefty vs lefty and righty vs righty crap....

Maybe if you can't hit very well against both righties and lefties... And if you can't pitch effectively against both righties and lefties...

Just maybe someone else deserves to be in the big leagues more than you do.... Maybe ;)

Personally, I've grown tired of the lefty vs lefty and righty vs righty crap....

Maybe if you can't hit very well against both righties and lefties... And if you can't pitch effectively against both righties and lefties...

Just maybe someone else deserves to be in the big leagues more than you do.... Maybe ;)

Agree there. The example the ESPN article used: a game this year was the first in which 7 different pitchers only faced one batter. Something like 11 pitchers were used in the last 3 innings. As a fan, or even a purist, I don't see how you can say that's something that's just awesome for the game.

Don't you think if they had someone that was effective against LHs and RHs that they'd already have them on the team?

I think eliminating the warmup tosses for relievers and making the batter stay in the box along with the pitch click will shorten it enough.

Don't you think if they had someone that was effective against LHs and RHs that they'd already have them on the team?

I think eliminating the warmup tosses for relievers and making the batter stay in the box along with the pitch click will shorten it enough.

You could very well be correct, but I think it's mostly a product of pitchers have grown up the last couple of decades being used that way...

Even the Nasty Boys, pretty long ago, but not ancient... They could go against anyone, all 3 guys. I miss it... Plus it would add more offense that so many people seem to be craving.

They just warmed up for 10-15 minutes the majority of the time. They don't need to come in and throw 15 pitches.

They just warmed up for 10-15 minutes the majority of the time. They don't need to come in and throw 15 pitches.

I know you were exaggerating but they only get 8 pitches. On top of that, a lot of the time they aren't throwing those 8 to warm up. They are throwing them to get a feel of the mound and so the game catcher can see how their pitches are working that day.

Silly to consider.

Just have a tighter leash on batters stepping out and time between pitches. Don't change strategy and rules regarding personnel.

Totally agree Clyde. Let's not change the game because some guys are too slow. I love Sean Casey but what he did between every pitch was ridiculous. Others do it too. Also, MLB is guilty too. I am pretty sure they have added at least 30 seconds and maybe a minute of commercials between each half inning. Think about it, that adds 9 or 18 minutes to each game right there. Limit mound discussions to 30 seconds and limit a manager/pitching coach to maybe 3 total per game. Punish (fine) the umpires if they do NOT enforce the rules too...that will ensure they don't try to be "nice guys" and let stuff go...