Cantrall Ratings a Mystery

Juke

Cantralls ratings always leave me dumbfounded. I have a hard time with a system that puts so little importance on head to head match ups. I understand that just because you beat a team one time does not mean you are the better team, but it should carry some weight. If you beat a team two times, you are the better team in my opinion and should ranked accordingly. If this is not the case then why do they play the games?

Cantralls ratings always leave me dumbfounded. I have a hard time with a system that puts so little importance on head to head match ups. I understand that just because you beat a team one time does not mean you are the better team, but it should carry some weight. If you beat a team two times, you are the better team in my opinion and should ranked accordingly. If this is not the case then why do they play the games?

Does any have the ratings broken down by region? If so, could you print them. Thanks.

Guest 11th insider

So team A is 5-13. Team B is 15-3. Just so happens team A has played well and beat team B twice. Does Team A need to be ranked ahead of team B? Not happening unless it's crazy strength of schedule differences. Have to look at total body of work. Does not always mean you are the better team!

So team A is 5-13. Team B is 15-3. Just so happens team A has played well and beat team B twice. Does Team A need to be ranked ahead of team B? Not happening unless it's crazy strength of schedule differences. Have to look at total body of work. Does not always mean you are the better team!

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous example. How about when team A has a better record than team B with comparable opponents and even common opponents and they have beaten them twice. There are two examples of this in the Eleventh Region that I noticed. In my opinion it takes away some credibility of the ratings.

LOL. I've ben on this site since almost it's beginning and it seems every week during the basketball season people are always complaining about one of two computer rating systems that have nothing to do with seeding or anything else important. In fact, I think we had a thread last week too, lol.

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous example. How about when team A has a better record than team B with comparable opponents and even common opponents and they have beaten them twice. There are two examples of this in the Eleventh Region that I noticed. In my opinion it takes away some credibility of the ratings.

How is that ridiculous? Your first post said "If you beat a team two times, you are the better team in my opinion and should ranked accordingly." So now that he gave you a good example, you want to change your question in attempt to fit in with your displeasure?

How is that ridiculous? Your first post said "If you beat a team two times, you are the better team in my opinion and should ranked accordingly." So now that he gave you a good example, you want to change your question in attempt to fit in with your displeasure?

First, I have no "displeasure" with it. I said it leaves me "dumfounded" and I was not trying to be argumentative. Second, it's a ridiculous, or at least extreme example because it references teams with polar opposite records (5-13 and 15-3). Though it has probably happened, I would think his/her example is somewhat rare. As I mentioned in my previous reply, the teams that were ranked lower have better records, comparable and common opponents and to my recollection they have beaten the higher ranked team on two occasions. I should have made this clear in my original post because I know people are always looking to prove someone else's "opinion" wrong. Lastly, I don't know why I am wasting my time responding to someone who uses "Lol" not once, but twice in a reply.

Lastly, I don't know why I am wasting my time responding to someone who uses "Lol" not once, but twice in a reply.

You may want to rethink the above. ;)

As I mentioned, and I am sure that anyone who has been on this site a week will mention as well. This argument about Cantrell is bizarre, it happens every week, and the same questions and answers are posted every week. Once the computer has been programmed, that's it. The rankings have no effect on the teams for the playoffs, unlike Ohio in football, so it's senseless to even put any stock in this, or any other rating system. If people are upset, then prove the computer wrong in the postseason.