Cooper 72 Highlands 47

Ok not ripping....but pointing out their awful performance might be better stated.

First year players definitely need all the minutes they can get. Why would Coach Listerman insert a Frosh before a Jr who is 1st year?

I agree with the 2 Do's with hopes that it translates to wins.

Who said he inserted a Frosh before a Jr who is 1st year? Up until last night, New and Hergott had started the last several games. Ball, Kendall and Hebel then came off the bench. The other three guys that play are Harris, Weyer and Cain who are returning starters. Coach is trying to find combinations that can/will play the game the way he wants it played at both ends of the floor.

Highlands was in the game last night with about 1.5 minutes to go in the first quarter and then proceeded to throw the ball away 2 straight trips when Cooper pressed that led to easy baskets and then Kunkel grabbed an errant inbounds pass with about 1.5 seconds on the clock and heaved it in from half court. At worst score should have been 16 to 10 after 1. Some kids really lost their composure when the pressure increased and that needs to get better. If they handle the pressure and score some easy baskets, who knows what the score may have been, but they didn't and have to learn from it and get ready for the next game.

I think all would agree there will be better days. JV played poorly and starters were pulled and rightfully so. Varsity also did not play well last night. Harris did carry the load early but defense was poor and turnovers a plenty. Traylor out 4 weeks, LaFrange just now returning and loss of Jared for the year has the varsity bench thin. IMO until the frosh learn to pass and defend, they are just that. Lot of Spaulding references and no ball movement has hurt the younger group. I would imagine practice will not be fun today.

Guest comeonman
I think all would agree there will be better days. JV played poorly and starters were pulled and rightfully so. Varsity also did not play well last night. Harris did carry the load early but defense was poor and turnovers a plenty. Traylor out 4 weeks, LaFrange just now returning and loss of Jared for the year has the varsity bench thin. IMO until the frosh learn to pass and defend, they are just that. Lot of Spaulding references and no ball movement has hurt the younger group. I would imagine practice will not be fun today.

Defend an pass is exactly what they have to. But not just the frosh. Everybody on the team! They whole team is lacking guarding ppl!

Has Listerman been inserting any youth into the lineup to get them some Varsity exposure?

You ask this question, I'll answer. HHS has a 8 or 9 man rotation of the 8/9 guys that are best prepared to compete on the varsity level today. I would be very surprised and disappointed if 8 games into the season, after the recent 2 losses to top 5 ninth region contenders that Kevin would do anything but stay the course. If the younger kids were the better option they would have started the season in the rotation. As JOAT indicated, the JV group has not been successful (scored 1 point in the last 9 minutes of the first half last nigh) so why move them up against bigger stronger guys.

Q - -- you know first hand the challenges that exist at HHS. How would you respond had JOAT or I suggested that our boys get more exposure 8 games into your son's senior season? I'm guessing the exact same way I am - that the boys playing then gave HHS the best opportunity to win.

Cooper played very well, tight defense, Highlands has a couple great three point shooters otherwise the score wouldn't have been as close(though it wasn't really close to begin with). Wish Highlands all the best, seem to be going through some tough times.

Thanks CSF - the boys will be fine. They will continue to play hard and compete against the 2nd tier teams in the region.

Cooper has a really nice team. Much bigger than I expected. Their size advantage is on the perimeter. Leichty and McNeil are much bigger than I thought they would be. They shoot the ball well. Hit quite a few mid range jumpers off screens- a lost art in today's game of basketball.

Broke the game open with full court pressure. HHS wilted. Terrible spacing and played right into the Jags hands. Lots of turnovers and easy Cooper baskets.

Those HHS fans concerned over the scores of the CovCath, Cooper, and Dixie games need a reality check. Same will happen against NewCath and possibly Holmes. The games to evaluate are games against the second tier. These boys played well against St Henry. Got a couple of wins and a close loss down in Oldham Cty in a tourney against teams with like talent/size.

Clyde has posted quite a few times that he thought McNeil was the best pure shooter in the region. Got my first look at him last night. He passed the eye test (good size for a shooting guard) and scored within the offensive sets. Didn't force anything. Good call Clyde.

There was a conversation on our side, does 55 play on the FB team? Quite the beast in the paint

Of the 8 or 9 that Stinky mentions in his post, 7 are from the football team. Another from the football team is injured. In essence if these kids did not play multiple sports you would have a varsity team only in all probability.

You ask this question, I'll answer. HHS has a 8 or 9 man rotation of the 8/9 guys that are best prepared to compete on the varsity level today. I would be very surprised and disappointed if 8 games into the season, after the recent 2 losses to top 5 ninth region contenders that Kevin would do anything but stay the course. If the younger kids were the better option they would have started the season in the rotation. As JOAT indicated, the JV group has not been successful (scored 1 point in the last 9 minutes of the first half last nigh) so why move them up against bigger stronger guys.

Q - -- you know first hand the challenges that exist at HHS. How would you respond had JOAT or I suggested that our boys get more exposure 8 games into your son's senior season? I'm guessing the exact same way I am - that the boys playing then gave HHS the best opportunity to win.

I think you misunderstood my question as a suggestion. It wasn't it was a question with concern for the program in general. Trust me, I don't have the answers for the program and never claimed to on here. I suffered through enough Highlands Basketball seasons where an overall lack of talent as a team was the issue. I don't see any difference and won't until kids work on their skills in the off season and make basketball a priority instead of something to do in the winter. Jmo

Best of luck to the Birds. I watched those Sr boys 2 seasons ago as sophs and they are great kids who treaTed my son with great respect and I appreciate that. I wish them the best as they work out the kinks during their final season. As long as they can say they gave it everything they had and left it all out there it's all u can ask.