Highlands - Holy Cross Game Scheduled for 1/9 Cancelled

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to have all of the coaches out there in any sport list all of the times they went into a game when their teams were 100% healthy, every player was playing at 100% of their ability, and the game plan was executed 100% perfect.

Getting through hardships is what makes a team great. Overcoming losses is what makes a team great. You have to learn how to deal with adversity, not avoid it.

I don't have the time to list all of the different local HS sports where I've seen an underclassmen player come off the bench, start in a big game, and shine - something that pays big dividends later in the year for the whole team.

I'll also add that Silver Grove used to show up for Varsity games with mostly 7th & 8th graders, and a roster that often didn't make it to double-digits. They gave it all they had and weren't cancelling games.

I would like to have all of the coaches out there in any sport list all of the times they went into a game when their teams were 100% healthy, every player was playing at 100% of their ability, and the game plan was executed 100% perfect.

Getting through hardships is what makes a team great. Overcoming losses is what makes a team great. You have to learn how to deal with adversity, not avoid it.

I don't have the time to list all of the different local HS sports where I've seen an underclassmen player come off the bench, start in a big game, and shine - something that pays big dividends later in the year for the whole team.

I'll also add that Silver Grove used to show up for Varsity games with mostly 7th & 8th graders, and a roster that often didn't make it to double-digits. They gave it all they had and weren't cancelling games.

I wish the Bengals would have known this was an option a few weeks back when they played the Steelers. The Bengals with so many sick players could have called the Steelers and maybe put the game off. That's what they deserve (Bengals) for not having a coach with enough guts to call Pittsburgh or not knowing the rules well enough to make this kind of decision.

A simple question: Is the cancellation solely because of physical issues with the HC players ... or, without speculating, does it go beyond that?

I would try to answer...but I'm not positive where you're going with that?

A simple question: Is the cancellation solely because of physical issues with the HC players ... or, without speculating, does it go beyond that?

I know nothing of the circumstances but here's my two cents (as if anyone cares)

Unless HC has so many sick or injured players between Varsity and JV that it would be impossible to field a team, then you don't ask for a reschedule or cancellation. Sorry, but unless they don't have enough players, Holy Cross ( one of the top 10 teams in the state ) doesn't have a viable reason to ask for a rescheduling or cancellation of the game.

Even if I thought it was OK- really- what are the chances it would actually get rescheduled to a mutually agreeable date? The next two months are chock full not to mention bad weather always comes into play at this time of year which forces cancellations enough as is.

Heck, last year St Henry lost three of their five starters to injury mid way thru the season. Brought up girls off the bench, girls from JV, and played on.

I read this thread with no trepidation whatever, knowing you guys would never steer me wrong.

But alas, now I'm confused.

I'm unsure which of the various theories and ironclad explanations from this reliably in-the-know crowd to believe.

So I compiled the various suggestions that have been posited in this thread:

1 -- Holy Cross is scared of Highlands.

2 -- A Holy Cross player sneezed two weeks ago, and now the coaches are worried.

3 -- Holy Cross girls are princesses, and not used to playing in winter.

4 -- "Something" went down in a summer game, and this all flows from that.

5 -- Holy Cross had decided it was going to lose this game, and it didn't want another loss, so it canceled.

6 -- Holy Cross decided its girls needed rest for the small-school tournament coming up (because it's the highlight of the season), so it called off all practices and games for the week so the girls could stay home and sleep.

7 -- Coach Murphy just had something he'd rather do that night.

8 -- There's bad blood between Coach Murphy and Coach Richey.

9 -- Holy Cross' girls need to get ready for prom.

10 -- The Holy Cross boys' team wanted the gym to practice in, so the school canceled the girls' game.

11 -- Holy Cross wants to "protect" its season, so the coaches have decided to go through the remaining schedule and cancel each game against a tough team. This was all poor planning, you see, because they scheduled so many tough schools.

12 -- Holy Cross refuses to play any game without every single one of its players (and the fact that the school has played 13-14 games with seven girls out at various times with injuries, and has played almost every game with a starter or starters missing, is just an coincidental string of anomalies.)

13 -- This reflects the "prevailing mindset" of girls basketball, which is that this isn't a serious sport and the girls aren't really athletes.

14 -- There's a problem with the furnace, and the temperature fluctuated by a degree, and Holy Cross girls are princesses (corollary to previous theory).

15 -- Holy Cross isn't as tough as those guy football teams, which by gawd would suit up 6th graders -- and have, dag-nabbit!!!-- against the state champion to uphold the good name of their school. (This one is popular with the "back in my day" crowd.)

16 -- Holy Cross is still upset about losing to Brossart, and their "tummies hurt" (i.e. don't have the stomach for competition any more).

17 -- Holy Cross is worried about its "conference" record because this is a big "conference" game (tho I'm still trying to find someone at HC that even knows what "conference" that is).

18 -- Holy Cross doesn't understand the value of letting underclassman step up and get experience when there are injuries or sicknesses, and it would never ever ever ever EVER let younger girls play (again, it was just a string of anomalies that Deja Turner, Dajah McClendon, Courtney Turner, the Crigler girl and DeAsia Beal played varsity as 8th graders, and Abby Hassert, Ally Mayhaus, Aleah Tucker and a slew of others played as freshmen).

19 -- Holy Cross is scared of Highlands (I list this one twice because it seems pretty darn popular).

So, please, fellas, help me out. Which one is right?