Boyd County 1 Bishop Brossart 0

Mustang

The Mustangs will not be defending their Cardinal Crown this year as they lose 1-0 due to a series of unfortunate events. The frustration sometimes with soccer is the better team loses and that was definitely the case tonight. Some of the words that come to mind could be snake bit, ill-fated, jinxed, hard-luck, or simply unlucky.

The Mustangs looked star struck in the first 3 minutes as Boyd County marched down the field and earned a corner kick fifty seconds into the match. The Mustangs cleared the ball, but Boyd County received another corner kick that again was cleared by the Mustangs. The Mustangs then owned the rest of the first half as they had shot after shot after shot. The shots went wide right, wide left, just missed right, just missed left, just over the crossbar, or right at the Lion's keeper. There were so many opportunities that we just can’t name them all. The Mustangs played unselfish as they made beautiful passes and moved the ball mostly down the middle of the pitch. The Mustangs best opportunity came with under 3 minutes to play in the first half off a corner kick. The corner was perfect and found the foot of Jacob Frommeyer who blasted the ball which hit the crossbar and came down on the goal line. It was cleared to a waiting Nick Dierig who sent a screamer that chipped the paint a second time and the ricochet was cleared by the Lions. Then disaster struck when an errant pass with less than a minute left in the half started a run for the Lions and a nice cross into the box that was deflected by a Mustang and the ball found the laces of a Lion forward who shot side netting for the only score of the game.

The Mustangs regrouped at the half and put on a non-scoring clinic as time and again they kept the ball in the Lions half of the field. In the 43rd minute, Gabe Roberts took a shot that hit the top corner of the post and rebound was saved by the keeper, then in the 48th frame Jon Henn hit the near post and again saved by the keeper. Gabe Robets had another shot that the keeper made a leaping punch that hit the bar a 5th time. The Mustangs had a few more great opportunities, but could not put anything in the net.

You do have to give the Lion’s keeper credit as he made a few nice saves. The Mustangs defense was fantastic except for the one lapse that gave up the goal.

The Mustangs had 29 shots, 13 on goal and 7 corner kicks. Boyd County had 3 shots on the night and 2 on goal. Boys also had 2 corner kicks. All three shots for the Lions came in the first half.

The Mustangs, 3-2-1 will now take on the Scott County Cardinals in the consolation game. The Cardinals lost to Cooper 3-0. Game time is set for 6:00 p.m. this Thursday night. Scott County record is 4-3-1.

I will have to agree with Mustang, this is a hard loss to take... and watch. I found myself pulling for BB because they were completely dominating the match but just could not get the ball to go in the net, I am sure that it was frustrating for the boys.

I will say that I think that BB should have been awarded a goal on the ball that Mustang says hit the line off the corner. From where I was standing I would have awarded the goal, it clearly hit the net right after it hit the crossbar, others where I was standing thought it was also in the goal.

I will say that I think that BB should have been awarded a goal on the ball that Mustang says hit the line off the corner. From where I was standing I would have awarded the goal, it clearly hit the net right after it hit the crossbar, others where I was standing thought it was also in the goal.

Did you happen to get a look at the net before or after notice how it was secured to the frame of the goal? The reason why I ask is that hitting the net in and of itself could easily happen and I've seen it before when the net was not tight to the frame and technically it's only a goal when the entire ball cross the full line/crossbar. So, although it doesn't seem possible its quite plausible for your observation to occur yet not score. That said, I'm hoping the AR was still on the goal line unless the Lions pulled out once the kick was made which is pretty rare in most games until after the first touch is made after the corner was taken occurs. If this is the case, they should be looking straight down and looking to see if the ball completely crosses the bars the 1 vertical bar (goal post) they are looking at and waiting for the plane to be crossed. Those bang bang balls are a tough to catch and its why the EPL starting placing additional officials on the goal line.

I'm chuckling now as I'm thinking of a HS game with "Goal Line Technology" like we saw during this summer's World Cup.

The AR was close to the line, but not on it, from where I was he looked to be out of position. The net was not pulled back from the bar, nor was it hanging straight down like others I have seen... hope this makes sense.

From where I was, it looked like the ball came down in such a manner that it was actually going back towards the field of play when it hit the line, it did not come straight down, this is why I feel that it should have been called a goal.

Another thing I noticed last night is that BB had a very short bench, I think maybe 4 subs. I heard that the JV squad also had a match last night, although they still played well... and had their chances, I can't help but wonder if a few more subs might have helped.

JV did have a game at Simon Kenton.

I also question the decision ... it's almost like the JV game took precedence over a Varsity game ... doesn't make sense. There were at least four Varsity contributors on the pitch at SK ... smh.

Another thing I noticed last night is that BB had a very short bench, I think maybe 4 subs. I heard that the JV squad also had a match last night, although they still played well... and had their chances, I can't help but wonder if a few more subs might have helped.

If you can't play a game with only 4 subs it sounds like a conditioning issue, unless there were injuries or ejections. CCH played Trinity using maybe 14 players from what I recall......15 tops.

If you can't play a game with only 4 subs it sounds like a conditioning issue, unless there were injuries or ejections. CCH played Trinity using maybe 14 players from what I recall......15 tops.

Groinpull... I should clarify, I was actually questioning the quality of what I saw on the bench more than the quantity. In other words, might some of the kids they were missing made a difference in the result if they had been there.