Harrison County 2014/2015

I believe that is an unfair assessment of Coach Kendall.

He's been the head man at Harrison County for 2 seasons now and won the 38th both years--something the Breds had not done since the 2008-09 season. Won 20 games his first year & had Harrison knocking on the door of the Regional championship game last year.

At worst, D.J. Jenkins was going to be the #3 player in the 10th Region for 2014-15 & at best he was going to be the top player. No matter how someone would have ranked Matt Wilson, Dre Jackson, & D.J. Jenkins, there's not a lot of separation between those 3 at this time. Jenkins was going to be a star this year at Harrison County under Kendall; now he'll be a star this year at Scott County under Hicks.

Jenkins was free to do what he wanted & he chose Scott County--a decision that has been made by a plethora of quality players over the years. With Jenkins & with those other players, it is not always the fault of the previous coaches that they transferred. I have my opinions about Billy Hicks & what has happened in Georgetown over the years--opinions that a lot of Scott County folks wouldn't like--but I cannot deny that the program is one of the best in the state, if not the best. I get why a lot of kids want to be there.

To lay the blame for Jenkins' transfer at the feet of Larry Kendall is unfair IMO. He has a ton of experience, being the son of another solid coach, and has proven himself more than capable of leading a proud HC program. Not a lot of programs can lose a player like D.J. Jenkins & still be a solid team, but Harrison County will be that this year.

RP, If it makes sense I don't agree with Great Lakes post, but I understand the part on what he is saying about the talent level at HC. After all they did have a losing season last year, which is what I was basing my opinions on if they could reach the next level. I thought last year should have been their year. I questioned the offense for defense substitutions in the last few minutes of the regional tournament against CC, I thought it took players out of rhythm, but that is just me. That and the losing record last season with that talented group a year older is all I have to go on with Harrison County. Hope Coach Kendall will regroup and prove everyone wrong in the 10th, not a big lover of the purple and gold.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the camp that Harrison under achieved last year. For the raw talent they had, I'm thinking they should have won a few bigger games. Inconsistent, played out of control at times and I noticed often a hot player would be yanked for an extended period of time or would become invisible on the court. Jenkins often tried to do too much. If coach Kendall can get his kids to buy into his program and play his way, I have faith they will have a good year.

I'm in the camp that Harrison under achieved last year. For the raw talent they had, I'm thinking they should have won a few bigger games. Inconsistent, played out of control at times and I noticed often a hot player would be yanked for an extended period of time or would become invisible on the court. Jenkins often tried to do too much. If coach Kendall can get his kids to buy into his program and play his way, I have faith they will have a good year.

Two things: raw talent? Might be raw but how "talented" is up for debate. Good players? Yes. Overly talented? Maybe. Secondly, IMO their record doesn't indicate their year. Played a tougher schedule and was very competitive. One cannot expect a team to play 10th region teams all year and expect to get better. I applaud Coach Kendall for stepping up the schedule. Won a district title and lost in the regional semis to the eventual region champ.

I agree with TAC as far as under-achieved. I think with the talent they had on their roster and by seeing then in a handful of games I'm thinking they should have had 20+ in the W department. I also agree with the TACster on the timing of some of Coach Kendall's substitutions.

I also agree with Hickory when he said their record did not indicate how good the team is. They played one of if not hardest schedule in the 10th last yr. they were 11-4 in the region last yr and 4-0 in their district. Which are great numbers. I often heard people say last season that the breds were the best team in the state.....................with a loseing record. Which that's a statement I tend to agree with.

Two things: raw talent? Might be raw but how "talented" is up for debate. Good players? Yes. Overly talented? Maybe. Secondly, IMO their record doesn't indicate their year. Played a tougher schedule and was very competitive. One cannot expect a team to play 10th region teams all year and expect to get better. I applaud Coach Kendall for stepping up the schedule. Won a district title and lost in the regional semis to the eventual region champ.

Agree. To say they underachieved based on their record is a mistake. No one is saying they should have been a top 20 team in the state. They were a top 5 team in the region last year, and would have been a strong region title contender had they not lost Jenkins.

I would say they are with a lot of other teams in the second tier of the region based on what they still have returning.

Harrison

Robertson

Nicholas

Pendleton

In that order solely based on last yrs teams do t really know much about Nicholas or Pendleton. Losing Pulaski will hurt RC. Edwards will have to pick up the slack but I think he is capable of doing so.

If I would change anything I could flip RC and NC and be happy with that list also. :thumb:

Harrison

Robertson

Nicholas

Pendleton

In that order solely based on last yrs teams do t really know much about Nicholas or Pendleton. Losing Pulaski will hurt RC. Edwards will have to pick up the slack but I think he is capable of doing so.

If I would change anything I could flip RC and NC and be happy with that list also. :thumb:

I believe Edwards is gone also.