St Henry at Dixie (boys)

hoops5

Not only did they switch sides, I believe they ended up extending the clock. Do any officials know what the rule is that would dictate one team playing the same direction for three quarters of the game?

IMO the hydration break appeared to be mainly for the benefit of the center ref. I don't think the referees have had enough games to be prepared for hot and humid weather yet.

Final score 2-0. Adam Lannon scored the insurance goal.

Not only did they switch sides, I believe they ended up extending the clock. Do any officials know what the rule is that would dictate one team playing the same direction for three quarters of the game?

IMO the hydration break appeared to be mainly for the benefit of the center ref. I don't think the referees have had enough games to be prepared for hot and humid weather yet.

Final score 2-0. Adam Lannon scored the insurance goal.

Good job Adam. Nice header against CCH hit the crossbar.

The heat index on the field was taken at the half and it was above 95 degrees. That made the "hydration break" mandatory per state rules. I don't ever remember seeing teams change sides after one though.

I think the refs got this one wrong. I have never seen them switch sides in the past, it did not occur at any of the 3 matches I attended today either.

I think the refs got this one wrong. I have never seen them switch sides in the past, it did not occur at any of the 3 matches I attended today either.

Not only did they switch sides, but they stopped the game when the ball went out deep in Dixie's end with St Henry ready to throw the ball in. Dixie was awarded the ball when they restarted the game after switching ends. The refs kept saying that it was KHSAA rules. If those are the actual rules, they seem pretty poorly thought out. You take possession away from a team ready to throw the ball in and give it to the other team while switching ends? It would seem to make more sense to re-start the game where action stopped. Seems ridiculous to start at midfield again giving away possession. How is that fair?

And another thing I didn't understand, the break was 10 minutes long. I have seen a lot of soccer over the years and many "water breaks" and I have never seen one like the one I saw this morning! I tried to go to the KHSAA site and find the rules but it just gave me a headache so I gave up.

And another thing I didn't understand, the break was 10 minutes long. I have seen a lot of soccer over the years and many "water breaks" and I have never seen one like the one I saw this morning! I tried to go to the KHSAA site and find the rules but it just gave me a headache so I gave up.

Must be up to the crew doing the game, but what you are reporting is not what I would call the "norm". When I have seen this done it would typically be a 2-3 minute break, 5 minutes tops.

Khsaa mandates when the temperature index goes above 95 degrees that a ten minute water break is required. If at half time the threshold was met then they play 20 minutes with a mandatory ten minute water break and switch sides and the team that did not kick off kicks to start the "quarter". Highlands vs NDA played four quarters of twenty minutes with ten minute breaks switching sides and kickoff at each interval. It's all about liability issues and the safety of the kids.

Khsaa mandates when the temperature index goes above 95 degrees that a ten minute water break is required. If at half time the threshold was met then they play 20 minutes with a mandatory ten minute water break and switch sides and the team that did not kick off kicks to start the "quarter". Highlands vs NDA played four quarters of twenty minutes with ten minute breaks switching sides and kickoff at each interval. It's all about liability issues and the safety of the kids.

That's fine if you want to break for 10 minutes, but why give away possession and not start the game where you left off?