When You Wish You Had Said Something

Pura Vida

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds' code of conduct (link below) states:

"Major League Baseball and the Cincinnati Reds are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable ballpark. Our staff will act to support an environment where:

-- Guests will enjoy the baseball experience free from foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.

-- Obscene or indecent clothing will not detract from the guest experience."

Sounds like you would have been on firm footing to call the shirt to the attention of an usher, who then could have summoned a security officer. If nothing else, security could have told the person to wear the shirt inside out or get the heck out of GABP.

Ballpark Information - A-Z Guide | reds.com: ballpark

Really wish I had done this.

Thanks for posting this Twotoplace, great to know the Reds have this policy.

Appreciate the perspective (and humor). I guess in the end it would have fallen on deaf ears and could possibly have escalated somehow. I can’t help but wonder if red neck mom & dad worry they or their punk-a son will eventually offend the wrong person and get hurt?

Welcome to the site. Hopefully you will find both in good measure here.

Back to the Shirt...I've seen dozens of these type shirts "It's a _______ thing you wouldn't understand"

Kentucky

Wildcat

Louisville

Hoosier

Southern

Redneck

Black

Tide

Vol

Briar Jumper

and on and on...

Is "White" the only one that would be deemed offensive? Should it be?

Would anyone complain if it was an Asian Guy wearing "It's an Asian thing you wouldn't understand"?

Should Dukes of Hazard reruns be pulled from TV? Flag is pretty prominent in that show, heck car is even named after a southern General.

I'm not being obtuse, just wondering is the Confederate Battle Flag to be taken out of all public display?

Back to the Shirt...I've seen dozens of these type shirts "It's a _______ thing you wouldn't understand"

Kentucky

Wildcat

Louisville

Hoosier

Southern

Redneck

Black

Tide

Vol

Briar Jumper

and on and on...

Is "White" the only one that would be deemed offensive? Should it be?

Would anyone complain if it was an Asian Guy wearing "It's an Asian thing you wouldn't understand"?

Anything that refers to a race of people is dangerous ground IMO. The other entries on your list just make me smile and should not be considered offensive, especially "Briar Jumper". We see that on a t-shirt and we say "OK, makes sense" and move on.

Anything that refers to a race of people is dangerous ground IMO. The other entries on your list just make me smile and should not be considered offensive, especially "Briar Jumper". We see that on a t-shirt and we say "OK, makes sense" and move on.

So Asian Guy wearing the shirt in my example should also be asked to turn his shirt inside out at a Reds game?

So Asian Guy wearing the shirt in my example should also be asked to turn his shirt inside out at a Reds game?

Maybe I'm a prude, but "yes" if there is a standard and a desire to apply the standard consistently. I'm not a fan of words (verbal or written) that are intentionally provocative or meant to put somebody down.

Maybe I'm a prude, but "yes" if there is a standard and a desire to apply the standard consistently. I'm not a fan of words (verbal or written) that are intentionally provocative or meant to put somebody down.

I get what your saying and agree, but who would an Asian Guy wearing that shirt be putting down? Maybe if had planes on it bombing Pearl Harbor, but short of that can't he be proud to be Asian?

I get what your saying and agree, but who would an Asian Guy wearing that shirt be putting down? Maybe if had planes on it bombing Pearl Harbor, but short of that can't he be proud to be Asian?

Exactly, you nailed it...his shirt should say "Proud to be Asian!"

The confederate flag/phrase combination was ugly and offensive. Period.

The “It’s A Jeep (or whatever) thing” is intended to be fun, you’re proud of your obsession.

This crossed the line and was just wrong.

The confederate flag/phrase combination was ugly and offensive. Period.

The “It’s A Jeep (or whatever) thing” is intended to be fun, you’re proud of your obsession.

This crossed the line and was just wrong.

I understand adding the flag to it totally changes it, I agree and would never wear it either.