Who are the best boys teams in NKY?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polls and rankings are always a crap shoot but if you take the top 5 teams or so from last year and see who they lost and who they have coming back that's a good start. I'd say that was Boone, Highlands, CCH, Brossart and NCC. Boone lost the area's best player in O'Hara and a couple other key seniors that I doubt they can replace. Still, they have enough in the tank to be competitive in N. Ky. probably and remain in the top 5. Highlands lost some talented seniors. I think they may have a long year. Same with Brossart in my opnion. NCC also will be hit by senior losses but I think their JV team was strong so I'd expect them to have a solid team. Scott has Treadway, Schneider and a couple other pretty good players so I think they will also be top 5. I also think Cooper will surprise some people this year. They had a young team and have two of the area's better players in O'Brien and Ross. As I said in another post, I think CCH is the team to beat, at least on paper. By far the most quality in their starting 11.

1) CCH

2) NCC

3) Scott

4) Cooper

5) Boone

Polls and rankings are always a crap shoot but if you take the top 5 teams or so from last year and see who they lost and who they have coming back that's a good start. I'd say that was Boone, Highlands, CCH, Brossart and NCC. Boone lost the area's best player in O'Hara and a couple other key seniors that I doubt they can replace. Still, they have enough in the tank to be competitive in N. Ky. probably and remain in the top 5. Highlands lost some talented seniors. I think they may have a long year. Same with Brossart in my opnion. NCC also will be hit by senior losses but I think their JV team was strong so I'd expect them to have a solid team. Scott has Treadway, Schneider and a couple other pretty good players so I think they will also be top 5. I also think Cooper will surprise some people this year. They had a young team and have two of the area's better players in O'Brien and Ross. As I said in another post, I think CCH is the team to beat, at least on paper. By far the most quality in their starting 11.

1) CCH

2) NCC

3) Scott

4) Cooper

5) Boone

Cov. Cath is always #1 in Preseason . :)

CCH probably has to be the favorite. Only lost one regular season game to NKY teams last season... 3-1 to Boone County. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think O'Hara had a hat trick in that game. He's gone. Disappointing loss in PKs to NCC. A game, in which CCH played one of their better games. Really controlling most of the game. They hit the woodwork I think 5 times. Still no pure goal scoring threat, but should score more than last year. They will have many talented players who can find the back of the net.. as they say. Another thread mentioned the four seniors, but one of the juniors, Bryce Day, was also on the the state cup winning team with two of the seniors. Many of these kids have been playing together for years, so I expect this to be a very unselfish team. It will be interesting to see where the coach plays everyone. Need to see if any new defenders step up. Four players who played mostly in defense last year could, and some probably will, be moved to offense. I don't think the coach likes to sub much, but the depth of players should really help this year. Both for giving key players a blow, and the competition for spots.

And, I think they'll be better at PKs.

I agree that CCH is the team to beat in NKY, beyond NCC and Scott, the rest of NKY might be a crapshoot. Boone still returns Mayberry, Borkowski and Benjamin in goal. Ryle should also make some noise, they have a good core in the Roe twins, Elgusain and Bedel. Cooper is one that could be a suprise. O'Brien, Ross, and Williams (Goalie) return as Seniors and they will be relying on several underclassmen to step up. For most of last year, Cooper started 3 Sophomores and 4 Freshman so they will still be a fairly young squad. I believe that one of the Freshman, Adam Snow, actually tallied double digits in both goals and assists last season.

You all know I'm a Cov Cath guy, but this year they should be really strong........

They have 4 very strong seniors who all play or have played on very competitive state cup teams......the junior class is stacked with talent that have been playing together, in some cases, for over 9 years, at a very high club level......Last years FRosh class was very strong as well.....

Coach R could have his pick of 14 or 15 players that play at the highest level of their club teams and are very comfortable with each other......

I compare this team with the team of a few years ago (Talkers, Cooney, etc) in talent........and I would put them above that team , top to bottom in terms of soccer accumen and overall soccer talent........and this years team has a coach that knows the game.......

With that said......injuries and a wrong bounce of the ball can change everything.....

• 2 weeks later...

Cooper will compete this season, or at least score. They return Zane Ross, who, statistically was NKY's best offensive player. Other than a healthy Luke Treadway, that probably won't change. Ross, O'Brien, and Snow combined for nearly sixty goals and over forty assists last season. Only Boone scored more than Cooper last year. Logan Williams is more than solid in net. The question will be, can their defense stop anyone. As good as their offense was, their defense just didn't perform. They were extremely young and one would think that a year under their belt will help... only time will tell.

Cooper will compete this season, or at least score. They return Zane Ross, who, statistically was NKY's best offensive player. Other than a healthy Luke Treadway, that probably won't change. Ross, O'Brien, and Snow combined for nearly sixty goals and over forty assists last season. Only Boone scored more than Cooper last year. Logan Williams is more than solid in net. The question will be, can their defense stop anyone. As good as their offense was, their defense just didn't perform. They were extremely young and one would think that a year under their belt will help... only time will tell.

What class are Ross and O'Brien? Where do they play club?

Bad day to give up caffeine, I read every post, including the 5 mentioning CCH, and I wondered to myself if the thread was about girls or boys soccer. :ohbrother:

I will apologize since I started the thread, it was intended to be for boys soccer but I failed to make that clear from the beginning.

I will apologize since I started the thread, it was intended to be for boys soccer but I failed to make that clear from the beginning.

Don't apologize, it's all on me, I'm just clueless today without my jolt of diet coke.

Ross and O'Brian are used to playing at a high level and will need to be good teammates for Coopers younger less skilled players.

I do not think this will be an issue, they played with the same boys last year and some of the younger players have played at just as high a level in club ball. I think their biggest hurdle is going to be when they don't have possession, defense is a big question mark.

Cooper will compete this season, or at least score. They return Zane Ross, who, statistically was NKY's best offensive player. Other than a healthy Luke Treadway, that probably won't change. Ross, O'Brien, and Snow combined for nearly sixty goals and over forty assists last season. Only Boone scored more than Cooper last year.

I'm sorry to start this so early, but I hate when statements like this are made.....just quickly peeking at the "stats", I see 18 of Ross' goals were against St. Francis (8), Holy Cross (2), Villa (4), Scott without Treadway and their best defender (4) .....

I'm not saying he isn't talented, but strength of schedule should be a major factor.......One goal against a Lex Cath, Trinity, Elder, etc is worth 5 or 6 against Villa (sorry Villa.).......

So best "offensive player statistically" really should be measured against strength of schedule. If you weight the goals the same, you really need to deduct points when he doesn't score against good opponents......

You can't quote number of goals scored without looking at wins and losses.......Score 1000 goals, but if you do that in only 6 wins, then you were really quite ineffective.

With that said.......good luck all....