Conner 7 Covington Catholic 5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good battle to watch.

Complete game for Cameron Ross. Battles through 7 innings. Probably 120 pitches. Finished strong.

I really like Galvin from CCH. Nice bat. Runs really well.

Galvin is a player, and a very good athlete.

Going off of memory.

Hepp walked the first 3 Conner batters but then struck out #4, SacFly for #5, and then got #6 out. Only 1 run. Moral victory.

Conner scored two more in the 2nd(I think) and went up 3-0.

CCH's Galvin knocked in two with a triple and then Krumps called for the squeeze on a 3-2 pitch and CCH tied it up.

Conner went up 6-4. I think Jared Williams had a big hit.

Conner made it 6-5 and then Best Hair in NKY Ostertag threw out a CCH runner at the plate to end the 5th(maybe 6th).

CCH reliever had trouble in the top of the 7th. Lawler came in. In what was ruled a wild pitch that probably should have been caught Conner scored run #7.

Ross finished strong in the 7th. Struck out the side (again, if my aging memory is correct).

I don't know many of the CCH boys but a special shout out to Grant Schreiver and Ben Heppler. Rep'd CCH in a top-notch fashion on and off the field of play.

Best of luck to Grant at UL and to Hepp at Ohio State. I wouldn't be surprised if I look up one day and Hepp is operating on me.

Conner has run under the radar this season despite posting 24 wins. Only two N. Ky teams they lost to were Boone Co. and CCH (twice). Once again, we see that baseball is the most unpredictable sport. Conner lost both regular season games to CCH but get the win over CCH when it mattered most. Congrats to the Colonels on a great season.

If his foot did not touch the plate, out. Based on the reaction of the CCH on deck batter looking directly at the play, I would say the runner was out. Great job blocking the plate by the catcher.

I know nothing about baseball but the CCH fans said it now against the rules to block the plate. If you can not block the plate and you can not bull over the catcher then the most exciting play of the game is gone. Safety first I guess.

If his foot did not touch the plate, out. Based on the reaction of the CCH on deck batter looking directly at the play, I would say the runner was out. Great job blocking the plate by the catcher.

No question runner was out. No question it was a great play by the catcher. Unfortunately, it was clear cut obstruction and a poor job by the home plate umpire to not call it. Runner had already slid into catcher and knees buckled before catcher had the ball. It wasn't legal and run should have counted.

I was sitting next to a scout and he said the rule in Ky is that the catcher can block the plate if the ball is in his hands. The scout felt it was very close and the ump made a judgment call. It happened very fast so I could not tell but I thought the catcher did not have the ball before he blocked the plate. With that said I always believe teams play into wins and loses and if that is what CCH fans felt lost the game then I would argue there was a very good Conner team that played the better game tonight. CCH players were class acts and represented a great program the way one would expect from a CCH student athlete. Congrats to both teams and look forward to rooting on the Cougars in the championship game.

Go Cougars!