Conner 7 Covington Catholic 5

Not in the NFHS (High School) rulebook. If you have found that wording in that rulebook, please let me know where. I'm a rules nut and would love to see it. But I am 99.99% confident that particular wording is NOT in there. They have to be in possession of the ball. Period. Not in process of catching or waiting on a throw. Actual possession.

But always willing to learn and admit my mistakes (plenty of practice), so please let me know if you have an actual rule cite. Thanks.

That is in MLB, and no I couldn't find it in NFHS, so I'll fall on my sword and admit defeat. However, I've never seen obstruction called when a fielder is forced in the baserunner's way or in front of the bag to receive a throw.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is in MLB, and no I couldn't find it in NFHS, so I'll fall on my sword and admit defeat. However, I've never seen obstruction called when a fielder is forced in the baserunner's way or in front of the bag to receive a throw.

That's okay. I may be eating some crow myself about insisting fielder can't be in base path at all without the ball and runner gets "full access" (I made that one up!) to bag without being impeded. Live and learn. And I like to think I know baseball rules fairly well.

It appears to me the runner went into the base too soft. No way does that catcher keep me from getting to the plate in this critical situation. If he collides with the catcher and moves him off the plate what would the call be? How could he not have a right to the path?

It appears to me the runner went into the base too soft. No way does that catcher keep me from getting to the plate in this critical situation. If he collides with the catcher and moves him off the plate what would the call be? How could he not have a right to the path?

He can't go into the catcher standing up. He has to slide or go around.