What state parks are near you

bargedawg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Bone:rolleyes: needs some work and a lodge, better camping, maybe some cabins:confused: do head down to Gen.Butler for a weekend get away in the winter and stay at a cabin pretty cool time

Originally posted by ROCK77

Big Bone:rolleyes: needs some work and a lodge, better camping, maybe some cabins:confused: do head down to Gen.Butler for a weekend get away in the winter and stay at a cabin pretty cool time

I have been by the mouth of Big Bone creek hundreds of times but have never been at the park. one of my old Boat Captains used to live near there he said it was a great place to visit hopefully I can get there in the next few years.:)

Originally posted by MDN

I've heard the trout fishing downstream from the Cumberland falls is great.

Most of the river is limited access from what I understand and you have to boat in.

I really want to do some fly fishing there this year.

I haven't got to flyfish it yet. But i have fished it several times, and yes the trout fishing is splendid, without a doubt the best in the state.

Originally posted by formerkywrestler

I haven't got to flyfish it yet. But i have fished it several times, and yes the trout fishing is splendid, without a doubt the best in the state.

How you do get access. Do you boat in or what?

I would love to get there this spring/summer.

MDN,

The few times I have fished at the Falls, I would lower myself to the bottom of the falls, near all of the rocks where you are a good 60 yards away from the falls, usually the only thing caught there was carp or some bottom feeders.

Originally posted by 3wishes

MDN,

The few times I have fished at the Falls, I would lower myself to the bottom of the falls...

For some reason I picture you dangleing off the edge of Cumberland falls by a rope with a fishing pole clenched in one hand.

:)

No:lol:

It is actually farther away from the falls than you might imagine, if you have ever toured the Falls then there is a place for tourists to over look from about 300 yards, it's right below there where I have been, firmly planted on large rocks...:D

I usually take a couple of pictures of the falls and head for the rocks downstream.

One of the most fun days I've ever spent was in college with a couple of friends of mine scrambleing around the bolders below Cumberland falls. We must have hiked 3 miles downstreak going from rock to rock. This was before I had ever heard of "Boldering"

Actually I have heard that Cumberland Falls is now the only falls with a Moonbow. Whether there is any truth to it or not, I dont know. The reason I heard Victoria Falls doesn't have a moonbow is due to some kind of shift in the Earth. I'm not the brightest of guys so I dont have an actual reasoning other than that. I'll try to check up on it though.

Like 3W said, Levi Jackson is a great park. The scenery is amazing and there is lots of stuff to do over a weekend.

Another place that is nice is in my hometown and right smack in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Kingdom Come State Park in Cumberland, KY is a very nice place. They have a putt putt, paddle boats, numerous picnic areas, a tent only campground, and good fishing in the lake. Raven Rock is a hike that is worth seeing. At the top of Raven Rock there is an ampatheatre. Overlooks are another thing that is nice about the park. There are numerous overlooks but Creech Overlook is the best. You can see for miles and miles through the Mountains of Harlan County.

You can also go on Little Sheppard Trail "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine". It is a nice place and lots of wildlife can be seen. The only knock on the park is that bears have migrated back into the area. A state record bear was captured there a few years ago and many have sightings have occured over the past 2 or 3 years.

Originally posted by WILDMAN

Actually I have heard that Cumberland Falls is now the only falls with a Moonbow. Whether there is any truth to it or not, I dont know. The reason I heard Victoria Falls doesn't have a moonbow is due to some kind of shift in the Earth. I'm not the brightest of guys so I dont have an actual reasoning other than that. I'll try to check up on it though.

Like 3W said, Levi Jackson is a great park. The scenery is amazing and there is lots of stuff to do over a weekend.

Another place that is nice is in my hometown and right smack in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Kingdom Come State Park in Cumberland, KY is a very nice place. They have a putt putt, paddle boats, numerous picnic areas, a tent only campground, and good fishing in the lake. Raven Rock is a hike that is worth seeing. At the top of Raven Rock there is an ampatheatre. Overlooks are another thing that is nice about the park. There are numerous overlooks but Creech Overlook is the best. You can see for miles and miles through the Mountains of Harlan County.

You can also go on Little Sheppard Trail "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine". It is a nice place and lots of wildlife can be seen. The only knock on the park is that bears have migrated back into the area. A state record bear was captured there a few years ago and many have sightings have occured over the past 2 or 3 years.

I have been wanting to go to Kingdom come park for years now

you make it sound like my kind of place

Do they have a Campground??:)

An interesting trim from Kingdom Come is to take Little Shepherd's trail all the way out to Whitesburg.

It's gravel all the way and was pretty passable three or four years ago.

you can actually start on top of Pine Mountain in Harlan and go all the way to Whitesburg.

Pack a lunch.