Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

Looks like ill be doing baby backs tomorrow, for some reason they have been really hard to find unless your looking for them precooked. Found a new rub I'm going to give a try too, its called "The Pigs Blanket." It's made locally so I figured why not.. opened it up and it has a good taste to it, a little spice with some brown sugar to sweeten it up a little.

So far, I have smoked one Boston butt roast and one full pork shoulder roast on my new Masterbuilt vertical electric smoker. I was worried that the result using an electric smoker would be disappointing, but I have not eaten such good pork since I left Mississippi a few years ago.

When I bought the smoker, I also ordered a Maverick wireless temperature monitor with two temperature probes. I highly recommend the Maverick to anybody who has a smoker. My smoker includes a system to refill the wood chip tray without opening the door. With the Maverick, I can smoke a roast 15 hours or more without ever having to open the smoker door, which means that I can keep the smoker temperature steady within about a 10 degree range.

So far, I have smoked one Boston butt roast and one full pork shoulder roast on my new Masterbuilt vertical electric smoker. I was worried that the result using an electric smoker would be disappointing, but I have not eaten such good pork since I left Mississippi a few years ago.

When I bought the smoker, I also ordered a Maverick wireless temperature monitor with two temperature probes. I highly recommend the Maverick to anybody who has a smoker. My smoker includes a system to refill the wood chip tray without opening the door. With the Maverick, I can smoke a roast 15 hours or more without ever having to open the smoker door, which means that I can keep the smoker temperature steady within about a 10 degree range.[/quote

Maserbuilt makes great smokers for the price. I like wood fired smokers myself, mainely because I enjoy tending the fire. Thats "me" time on my days off. The Maverick is a great choice too, I have two now, an et-73 and an et-733. Just don't pinch the wires and don't let flame hit the probe if you use it with direct heat.

When I bought the smoker, I also ordered a Maverick wireless temperature monitor with two temperature probes. I highly recommend the Maverick to anybody who has a smoker. My smoker includes a system to refill the wood chip tray without opening the door. With the Maverick, I can smoke a roast 15 hours or more without ever having to open the smoker door, which means that I can keep the smoker temperature steady within about a 10 degree range.

Maserbuilt makes great smokers for the price. I like wood fired smokers myself, mainely because I enjoy tending the fire. Thats "me" time on my days off. The Maverick is a great choice too, I have two now, an et-73 and an et-733. Just don't pinch the wires and don't let flame hit the probe if you use it with direct heat.

I had to go with an electric because I am currently living in an apartment. I have a large Primo ceramic cooker (similar to a Big Green Egg) back in Kentucky but I just can't use it here. I have an ET-733.

I would be tending a fire if I had a choice, but for now I will have to settle for an electric.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with electric, I have had some really good q from electric smokers. I'm thinking about buying a masterbuilt in the fall for cold weather cooks. I have nothing against electric smokers, most of them give great results. They are perfect for the situation you described and also for cold weather. The et-733 is a great thermometer, the best I have ever used.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sitting here in my living room waiting for the internal temperature of the picnic shoulder roast in my smoker to reach 195 degree. Only 3 more degrees to go after more than 16 hours of cooking.

I think that I am going to make some homemade barbecue sauce to go with it. My wife picked up some KFC slaw to go on the sandwiches. KFC and Long John Silvers coleslaw are my favorites for topping pulled pork.

I had to go with an electric because I am currently living in an apartment. I have a large Primo ceramic cooker (similar to a Big Green Egg) back in Kentucky but I just can't use it here. I have an ET-733.

I would be tending a fire if I had a choice, but for now I will have to settle for an electric.

After a few weeks smoking with a Masterbuilt electric, I could not be much happier with the results. My best pulled pork using lump charcoal and wood in a ceramic cooker was probably a little better than I have managed to get with the electric, but it is much easier to produce consistently good barbecue with an electric. I took samples to work and two of my coworkers are planning to get an electric smoker themselves.

• 5 months later...

Anyone ever smoked a beef tenderloin? Send someone to come back with a Prime Rib to smoke for Xmas eve. They came back with a beef tenderloin. It's a better cut of meat, but will cook completely differently.

Since the meat is so flavorful, I will smoke it lightly, going with some hickory lump charcoal, no wood likely. Has anyone tried this? Wondering what to expect.

From what I can tell I need a reverse sear, after cooking the meat to 125-130 or so. My plan is to cook it until it at 225 until it hits around 125-128, then sear it on a gas grill at 6-700 degrees. Anyone else have ideas or experience with this?