Grilling and smoking thread

JDEaston

I have a Traeger Wood Pellet smoker. I do Boston Butts, pork tenderloin, whole chickens and turkeys, fish (mostly salmon, tilapia and flounder), chicken wings and of course ribs. I've also done asparagus and potatoes. The Traeger is really easy to use, even in the winter time (it just takes a little longer) and pellets are no more expensive than buying propane for a gas grill. I go through about 4 bags a year, and I typically use the smoker 3-4 times a month. I've don brisket, with mixed results. There's a fine line between perfect and shoe leather. I try to keep it wrapped in foil and baste it occasionally with Bourbon (something cheap) mixed with apple juice a couple of times over the time it's smoking.

I do a lot of Boston butts throughout the year. I do a lot of ribs too, but prefer baby backs and they are hard to find at local butcher shops unless they are pre-cooked. I have most things pork down pat.

I would like to try more beef, I have done smoked burgers before and they were the best burgers I've ever had. I have been working myself up to the brisket, but I think I'm ready to try it. Smoked fish is on my wishlist this summer too, as are breakfast "fatties."

It's funny you mention "fatties". Prior to this evening I had never heard the term. Thirty minutes ago n "Swamp People" they shwed ne and niw I see it in this thread.

Smoked my first brisket Friday night. I'd read how hard it is. It was simple. Perhaps because I went with a smaller one (5.5 lbs). Used a Weber kettle grill. Kept it around 225 degrees. Used a pre-made dry rub purchased at Krogers. Wrapped it in foil for the last 1.5 hours.Came out extremely moist and juicy. Used it as an appetizer for a gathering of folks down the farm. It was devoured. Grilled venison burgers for the dinner, with topping choices of bacon, spam, metts and/or ham, with sides of salad and Cincy style chili on mac n cheese (basically a 3 way). Grilling season is indeed here.

Trust me, I've seen some pros mess up brisket. Most of the ones cooked in my "neck of the woods" are half-day long jobs, so there's more potential for something to go wrong.

I always doctor them up with whatever I have handy. This time I added a little hamburger, as well as Worchestershire sause, some onion soup mix, a dash or two of A-1; dried thyme (or was it rosemary?), garlic powder, salt and pepper. The charcoal still had some apple chips left over from the brisket, so the burgers had a little smoke apple taste to them. Henry won't let me cook anything more complicated than microwaved coffee at the house, so when I get to cook down at the farm, I like to have fun cooking. I learned my lesson last year when I cooked a fancy menu for about 25 folks. Lordy, that was work. This year I kept it much simpler.

Hope I didn't offend Joker with my comment about how simple it was to smoke a brisket after he'd posted something to the effect that it can be difficult. But it was pretty simple. I may have just got lucky with my first attempt.

Hahaha... not at all, it's all good. I'm actually pretty tough to offend unless it's super personal. My cooking skills aren't something I take that way.

:thumb:

It's funny you mention "fatties". Prior to this evening I had never heard the term. Thirty minutes ago n "Swamp People" they shwed ne and niw I see it in this thread.

I have never had or cooked them, but they sound and look great. There are a ton of different options with them.

I know it wouldn't be traditional, but I have thought about doing a fatty using Goetta as the base. I haven't found Goetta in my area though.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice! I've been meaning to tackle a brisket for one of my gatherings.

The brisket wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, maybe I got lucky.. we did beer injected whole chicken yesterday, it took a lot longer than I expected but turned out great.