Is there another state the size of KY...

BigVMan23

...that is broken down into as many distinct regions? Sure, a place the size of TX or CA, but KY is comparatively very small to those states. On the face you have WKY, EKY, CKY, NKY...and can go even farther, depending on who you talk to, to south central KY...FAR western KY, southern KY, etc. I just wonder if it kind of follows suit with the number of counties KY has for it's size, people in certain areas really wanting to be set apart and distinct, or is it just completely geographical, or a combo of the two? I think it's definitely unique and I find myself using these terms quite often when discussing my travel. For instance, if I am going to Paducah, I might say I'm heading to "far" western KY to make that distinction from what some think of as western KY. Was reading a KY travel magazine today and got to thinking about this.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...that is broken down into as many distinct regions? Sure, a place the size of TX or CA, but KY is comparatively very small to those states. On the face you have WKY, EKY, CKY, NKY...and can go even farther, depending on who you talk to, to south central KY...FAR western KY, southern KY, etc. I just wonder if it kind of follows suit with the number of counties KY has for it's size, people in certain areas really wanting to be set apart and distinct, or is it just completely geographical, or a combo of the two? I think it's definitely unique and I find myself using these terms quite often when discussing my travel. For instance, if I am going to Paducah, I might say I'm heading to "far" western KY to make that distinction from what some think of as western KY. Was reading a KY travel magazine today and got to thinking about this.

There's Northern Kentucky, then the rest of the state. :banana:

Pennsylvania has a similar abundance of regions, off the top of my head.

Pennsylvania = 46,055 square miles

Kentucky = 40,409 square miles

Pennsylvania's Regions:

• Lake Eerie / Great Lakes Region
  • Pittsburgh / Southwestern Region
  • Alleghenies (Can be broken into northern/southern Alleghenies. Southern includes some of the Pittsburgh/southwestern region.)
  • Hershey/Dutch Country
  • Philadelphia
  • Poconos

Georgia has more counties thank Kentucky.

GA is also almost exactly 18,000 square miles larger than KY...or almost 50% larger than KY's total land mass. In relation to it's size, KY has a phenomenal number of counties.

It also has more than double KY's population.

Edited by BigVMan23
added info

Pennsylvania = 46,055 square miles

Kentucky = 40,409 square miles

Pennsylvania's Regions:

• Lake Eerie / Great Lakes Region
  • Pittsburgh / Southwestern Region
  • Alleghenies (Can be broken into northern/southern Alleghenies. Southern includes some of the Pittsburgh/southwestern region.)
  • Hershey/Dutch Country
  • Philadelphia
  • Poconos

Interesting. I know next to nothing about Pennsylvania.

My home state of Maryland is tiny compared to most states (12,407 square miles - just over 1/4 the size of the Bluegrass state), but has several distinct geographical regions.

350px-MDGeoReg.PNG

But do those in the state of MD break it up into distinct regions themselves? Not just geographically because of topography...but because of distinct "areas of belonging", or differences in quote un quote "culture" the way they do here?