David Letterman Annouces His Retirement From the Late Show

When he first started his show he was the best. He wouldn't hold back when he had guests and was by far the funniest late night host on TV at the time. I miss the old Larry Bud Melman skits and the rest of his comedy.

He has changed a lot as he got older, but still was pretty good. I got to go to his show last time I was in NY and loved it. I just don't watch anymore as was already mentioned due to the political stuff.

Little trivia about Dave. One of his biggest influences when he was growing up was the one and only Paul Dixon, for those who are old enough to remember him, a local tv celebrity here.

David Letterman to retire: 'His greatness will always be remembered' | Inside TV | EW.com

"End of an era: David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night host in TV history, announced he’s retiring next year.

The iconic CBS host revealed the news during the taping of his Late Show on Thursday. He said he informed CBS president and CEO Les Moonves that he will step down as the host of the show in 2015, which is when his current contract expires.

“The man who owns this network, Leslie Moonves, he and I have had a relationship for years and years and years, and we have had this conversation in the past, and we agreed that we would work together on this circumstance and the timing of this circumstance. And I phoned him just before the program, and I said ‘Leslie, it’s been great, you’ve been great, and the network has been great, but I’m retiring,’” Letterman said."

When he first started his show he was the best. He wouldn't hold back when he had guests and was by far the funniest late night host on TV at the time. I miss the old Larry Bud Melman skits and the rest of his comedy.

He has changed a lot as he got older, but still was pretty good. I got to go to his show last time I was in NY and loved it. I just don't watch anymore as was already mentioned due to the political stuff.

Little trivia about Dave. One of his biggest influences when he was growing up was the one and only Paul Dixon, for those who are old enough to remember him, a local tv celebrity here.

Pretty soon we'll be reminiscing about the Midwestern Hayride.

Realized I'd only posted about Conan earlier.

The sad truth is that time catches up with everyone. Letterman was apparently legendary in his (relative) youth on Late Night. I wish I had been old enough to see him at the top of his game. He was still hilarious to me when I started watching him on the Late Show in the 90s. There's a reason that Carson was the best and really the only one who could be the best even into advanced age. Letterman was more of the edgy comic and eventually, you get too old for that. So while it perhaps might have been better for him to have retired before he lost that edge, it is still sad to see a TV icon shuffle off. I hated Leno's show but between the two being gone, it really feels like a true end of an era.