Walton-Verona 2014

Ram

What would a program like WV need to do to compete with the likes of NCC? They're a well coached, disciplined team that is always a threat to win their district. Facilities/field are very nice. Administration/community seems to be supportive. What do they need to do compete with an NCC? Hmm...what is NCC able to do that WV is not?

It's a very tradition rich program. Kids go there as legacies and expect to be successful. They are also very well coached and very hard nose mentally tough kids. They also have unlimited geographical boundaries and draw kids from all over Campbell County and maybe some from other counties as well. This is a huge advantage in almost all classes of football and especially in the smaller classes of A and AA.

What would a program like WV need to do to compete with the likes of NCC? They're a well coached, disciplined team that is always a threat to win their district. Facilities/field are very nice. Administration/community seems to be supportive. What do they need to do compete with an NCC? Hmm...what is NCC able to do that WV is not?

Great strides for Walton but still a notch below NCC. Then again, so are most in 2A. Watching the playoff game, there was a noticeable talent gap on the field. NCC has 2nd, 3rd, even 4th generation football families who raise kids to play football for NCC and understand the year long commitment to training.

It was a bit troubling to see Walton's lack of numbers last year, especially after a fairly successful first few seasons. I don't have any data for support, but venture to say Walton's weight room numbers don't compare with NCC. It doesn't hurt NCC has Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ft. Thomas, Cold Spring, and Alexandria to pull from, but Walton's population continues to grow.

To close the gap with the elites, Walton needs to find a way to:

1. Get more kids playing football.

2. Have more players commit to strength, speed, and agility training.

Great strides for Walton but still a notch below NCC. Then again, so are most in 2A. Watching the playoff game, there was a noticeable talent gap on the field. NCC has 2nd, 3rd, even 4th generation football families who raise kids to play football for NCC and understand the year long commitment to training.

It was a bit troubling to see Walton's lack of numbers last year, especially after a fairly successful first few seasons. I don't have any data for support, but venture to say Walton's weight room numbers don't compare with NCC. It doesn't hurt NCC has Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ft. Thomas, Cold Spring, and Alexandria to pull from, but Walton's population continues to grow.

To close the gap with the elites, Walton needs to find a way to:

1. Get more kids playing football.

2. Have more players commit to strength, speed, and agility training.

Walton has come along way in a short time. I agree with the above and getting more kids to play football at all levels youth through high school. Losing to the state champions and state runner up in two years is tough. On the other side Walton loses 3 defensive starters and 2 offensive starters off last years team. They also have some good young players that got playing time last year.

Totally agree with munoz and bluerunner. Having that tradition helps tremendously, but the biggest advantage I see is the ability to draw from such a big area. I didn't notice that WV's numbers were down. How many did they have? What kind of numbers do they have in the off season on average?

Totally agree with munoz and bluerunner. Having that tradition helps tremendously, but the biggest advantage I see is the ability to draw from such a big area. I didn't notice that WV's numbers were down. How many did they have? What kind of numbers do they have in the off season on average?

I agree that is the biggest advantage. When the Bellevue's, Dayton's, Walton Verona's, etc. of the world have a small defined area where their student athletes come from and others (and I include Beechwood and Highlands in this, not just Catholic schools) get kids from all over it gives them a big advantage. They are not breaking any rules so other schools just have to deal with it, build success, and maybe start drawing other out of distrrict kids to their schools. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I agree that is the biggest advantage. When the Bellevue's, Dayton's, Walton Verona's, etc. of the world have a small defined area where their student athletes come from and others (and I include Beechwood and Highlands in this, not just Catholic schools) get kids from all over it gives them a big advantage. They are not breaking any rules so other schools just have to deal with it, build success, and maybe start drawing other out of distrrict kids to their schools. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Walton is an independent school district. Beechwood is an independent school district. Highlands is an independent school district. So they all can draw kids from other areas if they choose to. Walton has more students to form a football team with than either Beechwood or NCC. If they can build a successful program (and so far they have done well) then kids will gravitate there.

Walton is an independent school district. Beechwood is an independent school district. Highlands is an independent school district. So they all can draw kids from other areas if they choose to. Walton has more students to form a football team with than either Beechwood or NCC. If they can build a successful program (and so far they have done well) then kids will gravitate there.

I agree with almost everything you said. It is on Walton to build their program to the point where out of district players want to go there. However to say they have more students to draw from is ilrelavent when the area NCC, and Beechwood get them from is unlimited. It can be for Walton too but I am guessing all their players live in district. Only if their district has great players bigger numbers help. You can only put 11 on the field at a time.

Let me give you an example. Campbell County has more students to form a football team than Highlands. Which has a better team and why Maybe it is not because Campbell is doing a bad job but Highlands is doing a better job and attracting players from outside their defined district boundries. Thus their 11 are better than Campbell's 11. So to say Campbell's team should be better because they have more students would be wrong in my opinion. It can help but I think there are a lot more important factors that Highlnds has done and is doing a better job at.

If all schools could only get students in their district than I believe population moves to the top of the list of importance. The way things are I don't think it is all that important. And Kudos to those NCC, Beechwood, Highlands etc. that use the current rules to the fullest.