Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke 66 Syracuse 60

Featured Replies

He was moving his body backward. Amazed people don't see that.

 

Moving backwards before contact? Is that considered a flop?

  • Replies 130
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moving backwards before contact? Is that considered a flop?

 

Most times yes, but it is possible to give ground and take a charge.

Moving backwards before contact? Is that considered a flop?

Not sure that Flop call comes into play like the NBA. I guess as a coach all you really can expect or want is consistency. Seems to me that both block/charge calls that were close were called differently. Just by chance they benefitted Duke at home. How bout the alternate possession screw up that benefited Duke at home vs. Maryland. Can see why people raise an eyebrow. Coach B must have felt pretty sure of himself since it was his 1ST ever regular season ejection. Did he cause his team to lose. Doubt it! No way Duke would be allowed to lose that game. Wait til the ACC turney in NC.

Moving backwards before contact? Is that considered a flop?

 

I always incorrectly assumed that made it a blocking foul. The kid from Syracuse was leaning back before the contact from Parker came and I thought that is why that was called a blocking foul. At the end of the game when that play was called a charge the kid from Duke was standing still and straight up. I thought that was the difference in the calls.

Not sure that Flop call comes into play like the NBA. I guess as a coach all you really can expect or want is consistency. Seems to me that both block/charge calls that were close were called differently. Just by chance they benefitted Duke at home. How bout the alternate possession screw up that benefited Duke at home vs. Maryland. Can see why people raise an eyebrow. Coach B must have felt pretty sure of himself since it was his 1ST ever regular season ejection. Did he cause his team to lose. Doubt it! No way Duke would be allowed to lose that game. Wait til the ACC turney in NC.

 

 

And then people will say that Duke got the calls because the tourney was held in North Carolina.

And then people will say that Duke got the calls because the tourney was held in North Carolina.

 

And they will, but at least then Boeheim will be feeling bad from his dinner and not from the bad calls...

 

Boeheim and ACC Country

It was a block. I watched it again and again and according to the rule change.

Duke -5.5.

 

Wow.

 

My buddy, who played Syracuse at +5.5, sent me a classic autocorrect text error after the game:

 

"I just got the worst ducking in the history of gambling," he said.

 

I replied, "They'll duck you hard every time if you're not careful."

I always incorrectly assumed that made it a blocking foul. The kid from Syracuse was leaning back before the contact from Parker came and I thought that is why that was called a blocking foul. At the end of the game when that play was called a charge the kid from Duke was standing still and straight up. I thought that was the difference in the calls.

 

It was a close call, at least according to the way the call was made prior to this season, but has been a block call this season. I thought that it was an obvious block, only due to Hood moving slightly forward and under the shooter after he had already started his jump. I also thought that

the shooter kind of slid around the defender and avoided most of the contact.

IS there a definition of this?

 

Regardless, I've never complained of one call in a loss, it amazes me the amount of people that complain about a call at the end of a game. What about the travel call at the 18:52 mark (just made this up). The #1 person to blame right now, is Boeheim himself.

 

Time and score...

Based upon the emphasis of getting away from calling charges in these type situations, one would asssume a block would be called. Obviously you can make a case for it either way. But, if you're having to make a case I would defer towards block given what we've been explained.

It was a homer call. A block should have been called.

And yes I hate duke with all my heart. It's still a bad call and hard call to make, but none the less it was a block. His feet were still moving.

But it was a t duke where they cheat.

Duke fan here. Honestly from one angle it appeared to be a charge, and from another, it appeared to be a block. (So, those of you who say it was obvious either way, I going to say you're rooting bias has come into play.) But, considering the differences that the angle made (at least to me), I would think the official should be given some latitude as well...because he saw it from a completely different angle than we saw on TV and didn't have the benefit of super slow-mo replay.

Only reason you guys have such issue with this is when it happened. Consensus of the experts, the ones who dont own UK bedsheets and underwear, is once you look in slow mo it was the right call. Certainly wasnt the worst call of the night. The flagrant 2 in the first half owns that hands down. Wasnt even a foul, let alone flagrant. K didnt run around and act like a two year old. Boeheim cost his team an opportunity to still win this game. Even his senior captain CJ Fair said as much after the game.
The flagrant two was the worst call of the century....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.