February 24, 201412 yr The game hangs on all sorts of things, but officiating is only one part of it. Whistles for certain things that a certain referee always watches out for may benefit one team and not another. It's the unpredictable, subjective part of an otherwise objective game. Right, it's only one small aspect of the outcome. To say it's the sole reason for a loss (or a win) is just simplistic and shows a lack of understanding of what all is a part of the game IMO.
February 24, 201412 yr Right, it's only one small aspect of the outcome. To say it's the sole reason for a loss (or a win) is just simplistic and shows a lack of understanding of what all is a part of the game IMO. I will say that in games where the scoring is less frequent, a couple calls can really change the outcome. In soccer, when a referee awards a penalty when one was not warranted or doesn't award one that is, a game can end 1-0 or 2-1 and really be altered by that decision. But that's a pretty serious case and very, very rare that games hang on them.
February 24, 201412 yr I will say that in games where the scoring is less frequent, a couple calls can really change the outcome. In soccer, when a referee awards a penalty when one was not warranted or doesn't award one that is, a game can end 1-0 or 2-1 and really be altered by that decision. But that's a pretty serious case and very, very rare that games hang on them. Also, a penalty in football can sure change a game.
February 24, 201412 yr I bet everybody who says it wasn't a charge either A.) likes UK or B.) hates Duke Love the perspective. I neither like UK nor hate Duke, and it 100% wasn't a charge with the way the rule is now written / to be interpreted. To reiterate, my biggest issue with the call is that Tony was clearly anticipating the call and started his mechanics darn near during the play.
February 24, 201412 yr I neither like UK nor hate Duke, and it 100% wasn't a charge with the way the rule is now written / to be interpreted. To reiterate, my biggest issue with the call is that Tony was clearly anticipating the call and started his mechanics darn near during the play. What play are you watching? Go to the 0:41 mark. That's where the contact occurs. He signals at 0:43. Not even CLOSE to anticipating or starting mechanics early.
February 24, 201412 yr LGP established at 0:40 in this slow-mo replay. Fair had not started up with his hands or arms as is required in the rulebook.
February 24, 201412 yr LGP established at 0:40 in this slow-mo replay. Fair had not started up with his hands or arms as is required in the rulebook. His feet were still moving and didn't have a set a position straight up so we are watching a different replay. But at the end of the day Duke should of got the call in the first game on Hood's dunk attempt and they didn't. Missed call happened. But Clyde I'm sorry with the new rule there is no way to justify the charge call . It was a missed call but those happen. The spirit of the new charge rule was to stop secondary defenders from impeding the flow of the game and camping out underneath the basket which is obvious here.
February 24, 201412 yr His feet were still moving and didn't have a set a position straight up so we are watching a different replay. But at the end of the day Duke should of got the call in the first game on Hood's dunk attempt and they didn't. Missed call happened. But Clyde I'm sorry with the new rule there is no way to justify the charge call . It was a missed call but those happen. The spirit of the new charge rule was to stop secondary defenders from impeding the flow of the game and camping out underneath the basket which is obvious here. The "moving" aspect is overblown. No rule says you can't be moving your feet. He certainly is "straight up." I can justify the charge call easily. I use the wording in the rulebook. I pointed out that he was set before Fair started his upward motion with the ball or his hands. Show me where I'm wrong on that.
February 24, 201412 yr The spirit of the new charge rule was to stop secondary defenders from impeding the flow of the game and camping out underneath the basket which is obvious here. Beautiful. Every person says he didn't get there in time and you say the rule is to prevent people from "camping out." You're saying Duke "camped out?"
February 24, 201412 yr Beautiful. Every person says he didn't get there in time and you say the rule is to prevent people from "camping out." You're saying Duke "camped out?" It appeared to me that he had established position, then moved forward slightly to create contact, possibly when he realized Fair had turned his body to try to slide by without making much contact. It was not an easy call, and since I hate charge calls. I believe it should be a block if it's close.
February 24, 201412 yr I did love how the defender did go down very easily though. I think it should have been a no call honestly. Anything that close should just be let go and played out. I don't know what's being accomplished rehashing out the same argument though.
February 25, 201412 yr What play are you watching? Go to the 0:41 mark. That's where the contact occurs. He signals at 0:43. Not even CLOSE to anticipating or starting mechanics early. Tony is walking up the baseline and is waving it off as the play is occurring, then continues strolling away. He loved the moment and you can't convince me he didn't anticipate that play as it was occurring. Had thought first 10 times I saw it and again now.
February 25, 201412 yr Tony is walking up the baseline and is waving it off as the play is occurring, then continues strolling away. He loved the moment and you can't convince me he didn't anticipate that play as it was occurring. Had thought first 10 times I saw it and again now. You're not watching . He's walking up the baseline because he initiated a switch. Tell me where on the video he starts waving it off. I just pointed out to you that he didn't make ANY signal until 2 seconds after the contact. How is that anticipating?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.