Holy Cross 53 Highlands 50

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like "Willie-ball" to me.

True, true... I am amazed at how physical HHS is, even the guards. They get right up on you and challenge you to go around them. When you do, there is always someone there cutting you off, they swich so well. They need some other players to step up here at Tourney time. They cant depend on Vories to carry them the whole way. I think the Smith kid is going to blossom over the next few weeks and Hudy will need to give them good minutes off the bench and nail some 3's.

The result is in fact true. Holy Cross will not and I repeat will not defeat Covington Catholic in the Districts. Highlands shot very poorly from the free throw line in the last quarter which enable Holy Cross to get back in it along with some questionable calls or lack there of by the stripes. Again a very poorly officiated game IMO from the very start. As someone said to me at halftime, if the rules were complied with as stated in the book the scores would be in the 100's. Never seen more hand checks, elbows and flat out pushing that I have seen this year.

Sour Grapes?

Here our some points of the game.

1. HC came out scoring and up big in first half, Highlands is not fast enought and can not play man to man defense against HC. As I stated before the game HC gave them more match up problems than Highlands.

2. I applaud Coach Schlarman to going to his gimmick defense late 2nd half and 3rd quarter to get his team the lead.

3. HC is for real. How can a bluebird fan complain about refs letting them play. If they called every bump Ben G would never of made out of the first quarter the way he was guarding Steeken. Please I do not want to hear this. It was bad both ways, if the refs knew what a charge was Voriees would of been called on a couple in the 3rd quarter.

4. I'm not saying HC will beat CCH, but I think this win let CCH know they better come to play

5. I can't believe how much better Corey Sorrel makes this team.

Frustrating to watch the end of this game. After playing an incredible third quarter, the Birds unraveled in the fourth quarter. For the life of me can't understand why Vories wasn't holding the ball during the last few minutes. Senior leadership can win games like this. Don't want to pick on the younger kids but I don't think they have shown they can handle the pressure when the going gets tough. I thought Hudephol played some valuable minutes last night for the birds. The kids plays tough. I hope the Birds get sent to the free throw line a lot this week at practice or tourney time could get very frustrating. I won't harbor on the poor officiating other than it was hilarious when Smith picked up his third foul. It was such a horrible foul that the refs (all three of them) couldn't figure out who he fouled.

You have to give the Indians some credit, they fought back and knew exactly how to win this game.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Vories who had the most costly turnover in the game at the end when HC double teamed him and he threw the ball without looking directly to Dane Lantry?

I agree BigStud.... The refs may have been bad but they were definitely bad for both teams. I don't know how anyone can say Holy Cross got away with more fouls when Scruggs fouled out and Wil Eifert had 4. Another thing I noticed about this Highlands team is they are a much better team offensively when Vories plays the 2 guard instead of the point.

You are correct in that they are hot. It is a fact. You are incorrect when you start talking about leader board changes. Anybody can have a bad game on the road and lose. You cannot expect teams to win all of their games. Holy Cross did a remarkable job coming back and winning. They had from what it sounds like, homecourt, officiating (at times), HHS poor ft shooting, on their side....They will be given an early exit in the District Tournament thanks to a Cov Cath team that will be hungry to get to Rupp. It was a nice run while it lasted but they should just be happy with the NKAC div 2 title and forget about Rupp.

LOL anyone who thinks the CCH vs HC game isn't going to be a battle needs to wake up. CCH is the favorite but they only beat HC by 6 early this season.

The refs were not on HC side. If anything in the 3rd quarter you could argue HC couldn't buy a call. HC was down because of poor shooting, if you want to say HC got help from Highland. There won't be many game where Nick Steeken misses 4 wide open 3's in a quarter, so lets not talk about what ifs.

I don't think HC players are happy with just showing up against CCH.

I wasn't at the Holmes vs HHS game but did they play a man to man defense against them? HHS doesn't look like they have the team speed to guard a Holmes, CCH, or HC.

They play over aggresive and HC kept finding the open swing pass for a wide open shot.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Vories who had the most costly turnover in the game at the end when HC double teamed him and he threw the ball without looking directly to Dane Lantry?

Heaven forbid a kid who is getting double teamed, worked over all night by 3 different defenders throw an errant pass. It happens. Jeffrey and the Birds will rebound tonight and give the PC Wildcats all they have. Good luck Birds, shake it off.

I will agree with you in that Vories needs to be able to play the 2G in order to be most effective. He handles the ball like a wizard so in tight games Willie likes to have the ball in his hands but HHS needs Simpson to step up and take over the PG duties if they want to get to Rupp. Too much standing around watchign Vories when he is out front.

Heaven forbid a kid who is getting double teamed, worked over all night by 3 different defenders throw an errant pass. It happens. Jeffrey and the Birds will rebound tonight and give the PC Wildcats all they have. Good luck Birds, shake it off.

I will agree with you in that Vories needs to be able to play the 2G in order to be most effective. He handles the ball like a wizard so in tight games Willie likes to have the ball in his hands but HHS needs Simpson to step up and take over the PG duties if they want to get to Rupp. Too much standing around watchign Vories when he is out front.

I didn't say he's not allowed to make a turnover, but I was simply replying to ur statement that had he had the ball in his hands they would have been better off, and no matter how good Vories is and how hard he worked last night that pass was stupid. I'm sure he knows it, HC knows it, and Willie knows it; whenever u throw a pass without even looking to the other team it's not a good decision.

A couple of notes on Voriees he is a good High School player. But he is not better than Duran Jefferson. Voriees can not control the tempo of the game like Duran.

Secondly I read on here where it was Voriees crossover that is his best move. I would disagree, his crossover is average. His go to finish move is his reverse pivot/spin move when he has the ball in his right hand. I think Goetz noticed that half through the game and adjusted, I'm hoping most High School basketball coaches in the 9th have scouted that by now. I saw it in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Also I'm still laughing that someone is trying to say HC got help from the refs. Myself and a couple of other former HC basketball players were worried before the game on the very reason who the ref crew was. The crew had never done an HC home game in any recent memory of mine and only one of them had reffed a HC home game that I can remeber.

HHS showed me last night they will not be able to guard Tyler Mains man to man.

A couple of notes on Voriees he is a good High School player. But he is not better than Duran Jefferson. Voriees can not control the tempo of the game like Duran.

Secondly I read on here where it was Voriees crossover that is his best move. I would disagree, his crossover is average. His go to finish move is his reverse pivot/spin move when he has the ball in his right hand. I think Goetz noticed that half through the game and adjusted, I'm hoping most High School basketball coaches in the 9th have scouted that by now. I saw it in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Also I'm still laughing that someone is trying to say HC got help from the refs. Myself and a couple of other former HC basketball players were worried before the game on the very reason who the ref crew was. The crew had never done an HC home game in any recent memory of mine and only one of them had reffed a HC home game that I can remeber.

HHS showed me last night they will not be able to guard Tyler Mains man to man.

Thank you for your Analyseeeeez Big Stud... did you notice all of that after knocking off a few coldys at GTimers... :p

Jeffrey may not control a game as good as Duran but from the looks of it lately...Duran isnt controlling much of anything. Jeffrey's 1st step is his deadliest move and once he sneaks by you baseline....it is lights out if it is a one on one situation. He finds the crease better than anyone and explodes.

To say his crossover is AVG....you have been smoking the drapes.

To say he will not be able to guard Tyler Mains.... that is also laughable.

I cant speak to the refs last night as I was not at the game... I was at Chuck E Cheese...so I will not comment on that.

Thank you for your Analyseeeeez Big Stud... did you notice all of that after knocking off a few coldys at GTimers... :p

Jeffrey may not control a game as good as Duran but from the looks of it lately...Duran isnt controlling much of anything. Jeffrey's 1st step is his deadliest move and once he sneaks by you baseline....it is lights out if it is a one on one situation. He finds the crease better than anyone and explodes.

To say his crossover is AVG....you have been smoking the drapes.

To say he will not be able to guard Tyler Mains.... that is also laughable.

I cant speak to the refs last night as I was not at the game... I was at Chuck E Cheese...so I will not comment on that.

Voriees is not a show stopper on defense, and Tyler Mains might be the best PG that no one around the state is talking about. After watching Pendelton play a couple times this year, I would take Mains over Duran Jefferson.

Also I didn't get to knock a couple down prior as planned, but after the game I made my way down the alley to GT.

Correct, probably known better for his offensive abilities but tonight will be a decent matchup no matter what.

Glad to hear you celebrated down at Gtimers..... does Joe Goody still hang down there?

It wouldn't be a GT night if he didn't.