Travel Ball Coaches

JMU31

Over the last couple of weeks we have played in several college showcases. Remember college showcases mean nothing as far as wins and loses we don't even turn in final scores. Half the time we don't even keep a book for the other team and its usually free substitutions and unlimited free runners and bat your whole lineup.

That being said every time we play a team as soon as they get a runner on they are trying to sacrifice bunt her to the next base with college coaches in attendence. Does anyone think a college coach who may get lucky to see a couple of bats for each kid a weekend or for that matter in a whole season wants to watch a young lady square around to bunt. Is there any chance in hell a coach is going to recruit a kid to sacrifice bunt. If its in the girls DNA to bunt and she is trying to bunt for a hit that's one thing but I just don't get it they are doing a real inservice to their kids. I know I have a big name team and most travel ball teams would love to beat us but really would you rather beat us or give your player the best chance to show off her skills in front of a college coach. This past weekend against a very good team in Ohio a coach bunted every chance they could and on 3 different times had a runner stike out trying to bunt. UK was there to watch one of his girls she bunted 2 of her 3 times at bat. I can tell you for a fact Rachel Lawson almost never wants to see a kid sacrifice bunt in a showcase type game.

We have played almost 20 games so far this fall and I am pretty certain I haven't called for a sacrifice bunt. In some cases I wounder if it may hurt us down the line bc we have almost no game practice doing it but we only have 3 times when we need to win in the next year so if it cost us one of those times I think I will be ok bc I know we let the girls get as many ab's as they could in the process.

Over the last couple of weeks we have played in several college showcases. Remember college showcases mean nothing as far as wins and loses we don't even turn in final scores. Half the time we don't even keep a book for the other team and its usually free substitutions and unlimited free runners and bat your whole lineup.

That being said every time we play a team as soon as they get a runner on they are trying to sacrifice bunt her to the next base with college coaches in attendence. Does anyone think a college coach who may get lucky to see a couple of bats for each kid a weekend or for that matter in a whole season wants to watch a young lady square around to bunt. Is there any chance in hell a coach is going to recruit a kid to sacrifice bunt. If its in the girls DNA to bunt and she is trying to bunt for a hit that's one thing but I just don't get it they are doing a real inservice to their kids. I know I have a big name team and most travel ball teams would love to beat us but really would you rather beat us or give your player the best chance to show off her skills in front of a college coach. This past weekend against a very good team in Ohio a coach bunted every chance they could and on 3 different times had a runner stike out trying to bunt. UK was there to watch one of his girls she bunted 2 of her 3 times at bat. I can tell you for a fact Rachel Lawson almost never wants to see a kid sacrifice bunt in a showcase type game.

We have played almost 20 games so far this fall and I am pretty certain I haven't called for a sacrifice bunt. In some cases I wounder if it may hurt us down the line bc we have almost no game practice doing it but we only have 3 times when we need to win in the next year so if it cost us one of those times I think I will be ok bc I know we let the girls get as many ab's as they could in the process.

I understand your point, but I also see the flip side. If you have 2 teams in a game situation you play to win and the sacrifice is an integral part of the game. I'm sure the coaches would like to see how well a 3rd, 1st or Catcher can field the bunt, if the 2nd gets there on time, if the RF backs up the throw, if the SS and LF are moving. 3b at Henry County who signed with UL fielded a bunt a couple years back that we talked about for weeks.

The point is these are showcases, not tournaments....every conversation I have ever had with a college "recruiting" coach has been the same regarding this: Let. Them. Hit......for them, there is no flip side, and they and the players are all that matter....they have an EXTREMELY limited window of opportunity to scout players, and coaches who bring their team to a pure showcase situation, ESPECIALLY in the fall, and has the "game strategist/play to win" mentality is, IMO, doing a tremendous disservice to the players AND parents, and is broadcasting to those recruiters that "this organization/team does not understand the process"......it's not a combine....there is still a competitive game to be played, but through the prism of allowing the players to showcase for the coaches they have invited to come watch/recruit them....not for the "W", that is meaningless in this arena.

This past summer we had a hitter that had hit 11 HR during the summer but in the Atlanta Legacy went 2-7 with 7 walks after the tournament one of the coaches told me she would have liked to have seen her swing the bat more than then taking the walks. I didnt know you could ask for more pitches. The want to see the girls hit

In a showcase enviroment, they need to hit. Even be a little more aggressive than they should be at times...because of the possibility of a walk. Meaning hack if it's close! You only get a few chances to shine. They don't want to walk away saying "wow, she had a good eye!". That may be the only opportunity the kid has to shine.

If its some kind of tournment situation with the winner advancing, play to win. Because coaches will see games throughout the tournament, but if your team makes it to the top 6-8 in a big tournament, you'll have a more concentration of coaches taking a more concentrated look at the players left. So in that situation, do what it takes to make it as far as possible, knowing the best opportunities are rewarded to the kids that are there on Sunday!

I understand your point, but I also see the flip side. If you have 2 teams in a game situation you play to win and the sacrifice is an integral part of the game. I'm sure the coaches would like to see how well a 3rd, 1st or Catcher can field the bunt, if the 2nd gets there on time, if the RF backs up the throw, if the SS and LF are moving. 3b at Henry County who signed with UL fielded a bunt a couple years back that we talked about for weeks.

Well my team gets the best of both worlds bc they get to hit and every other team bunts like crazy so they get to show the skills you are talking about!!

In a showcase enviroment, they need to hit. Even be a little more aggressive than they should be at times...because of the possibility of a walk. Meaning hack if it's close! You only get a few chances to shine. They don't want to walk away saying "wow, she had a good eye!". That may be the only opportunity the kid has to shine.

If its some kind of tournment situation with the winner advancing, play to win. Because coaches will see games throughout the tournament, but if your team makes it to the top 6-8 in a big tournament, you'll have a more concentration of coaches taking a more concentrated look at the players left. So in that situation, do what it takes to make it as far as possible, knowing the best opportunities are rewarded to the kids that are there on Sunday!

From my exp in a big tourney with a lot of coaches present you will see a ton a coaches early in a tourney during pool play and when bracket play starts either late sat or sunday its a ghost town as far as college coaches goes.

The point is these are showcases, not tournaments....every conversation I have ever had with a college "recruiting" coach has been the same regarding this: Let. Them. Hit......for them, there is no flip side, and they and the players are all that matter....they have an EXTREMELY limited window of opportunity to scout players, and coaches who bring their team to a pure showcase situation, ESPECIALLY in the fall, and has the "game strategist/play to win" mentality is, IMO, doing a tremendous disservice to the players AND parents, and is broadcasting to those recruiters that "this organization/team does not understand the process"......it's not a combine....there is still a competitive game to be played, but through the prism of allowing the players to showcase for the coaches they have invited to come watch/recruit them....not for the "W", that is meaningless in this arena.

I play to win every game in a showcase, we just do it in a different way. I expect to score the runner from first but I want my girls to hit her in not bunt her in. I think its just a mind set, I have two pitchers one is clearly ahead of the other but they split pitching time, I don't expect to lose when my number 2 comes in the game. You can still play to win and play hard and showcase your kids with out bunting every chance you get.

This past summer we had a hitter that had hit 11 HR during the summer but in the Atlanta Legacy went 2-7 with 7 walks after the tournament one of the coaches told me she would have liked to have seen her swing the bat more than then taking the walks. I didnt know you could ask for more pitches. The want to see the girls hit

11HR in the summer is big time, congrats to her. Hopefully she gets the looks she needs.

From my exp in a big tourney with a lot of coaches present you will see a ton a coaches early in a tourney during pool play and when bracket play starts either late sat or sunday its a ghost town as far as college coaches goes.

Really? You would definitely know! Was thinking what a better way to see several talented players in one place. I know a lot of the bigger showcases have several teams and the games get spread out over time and locations. Just thought it would be value added time to see the best all in one place.

You 100% correct. That has been our experience the last three years. I think the coaches like to be home on Sunday.