Flaget - Top All-Time 3 Players

Bert

The #1 is pretty obvious - Paul "Golden Boy" Hornung

I would have to think #2 is Howard "The Pipe" Schnellenberger

#3 has me stumped?????

Hold more senior Trinity and St. X alumni, who do you think would round out Flaget's top three???

Wasn't there an end - Bill Jansen? - who played at Flaget and then at UK in the mid-60s? I recall him being very good. I think he played with Harold Joyce, another end. Harold, I believe, was head coach at DeSales and was quite an emotional character.

When did Flaget close? Was there any correlation between the closing of Flaget and the rise of St. X and Trinity's programs?

It closed in 1974. Flaget's fall had primarily to do with the area of town it was in and how the population was leaving that area of town.

I think you could add Bob Lehmann to that list. He went from Flaget to Notre Dame, was an all american and captain of the team in 63 or 64. Had the bad luck of playing on some not so good teams at ND but none the less was a great player. Was drafted into the NFL (Rams) but never played due to injuries from college.

When did Flaget close? Was there any correlation between the closing of Flaget and the rise of St. X and Trinity's programs?

T yes. X not as much.

Many of the Flaget grads threw there support to Trinity after Flaget closed because Flaget and St. X were rivals back to the 40's.

T yes. X not as much.

Many of the Flaget grads threw there support to Trinity after Flaget closed because Flaget and St. X were rivals back to the 40's.

Despite the fact that Flaget and X both had Xaverian brothers on the faculty.

Despite the fact that Flaget and X both had Xaverian brothers on the faculty.

I think the old rivalry was too much to overcome. plus I don't think x took the necessary steps to woo the old Flget alumni. There is a Flaget museum at X now. Too little, too late.

One of the Lehmanns is in the CFL Hall of Fame!