Patty Oliveros

JMU31

Let's talk about Coach of the Year for Freedom Fogt. Who's involved in the voting process and how can we lobby for this? She has definitely been a positive influence on a program that was almost declared dead at the beginning of the year. I'll definitely be buying votes to guarantee this nomination

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about Coach of the Year for Freedom Fogt. Who's involved in the voting process and how can we lobby for this? She has definitely been a positive influence on a program that was almost declared dead at the beginning of the year. I'll definitely be buying votes to guarantee this nomination

Well make a case for her.

What was their record this year vs last year?

Whats their strength of schedule look like?

Key wins and bad losses?

Is St Henry usually a contender or is this a turn around of a program?

Development of key personel or did they that in place already? Pitcher, catcher, etc?

What other coaches would be in the running against her?

I think if there is a legit case for her, lets get it out.

Well make a case for her.

What was their record this year vs last year?

Whats their strength of schedule look like?

Key wins and bad losses?

Is St Henry usually a contender or is this a turn around of a program?

Development of key personel or did they that in place already? Pitcher, catcher, etc?

What other coaches would be in the running against her?

I think if there is a legit case for her, lets get it out.

Not sure what records from year to year has to do with things when they are two different teams.

Don't know all details about St Henry, but coach Fogt got the job at the end of Jan, so she was way behind the from the start. I would say it would be an understatement that people were not happy with the coaching staff in the past and that St Henry had as much talent as the top teams in the area but never lived up to that. They lost one of the better players and pitchers in the area with Salzer moving on along with some other very nice players.

Key wins off the top of my head would be Boone and Gallatin County and Bracken County which beat NDA twice. If GC was in the 9th they would for sure be in the top 4 talk. They finished 4th in the All A state tourney also. Not sure they have any real bad losses unless you count the 2-1 loss to Cooper bad.

I can't really speak about the Development of personel. What they have done from the outside looking in is change the culture there.

As far as other coaches you have to have NDA's coach and Highlands coach up there along with Coach P at Boone. NDA and Highlands were benefited greatly by having pitchers transfer into their schools but have still done a great job.

Not sure what records from year to year has to do with things when they are two different teams.

Don't know all details about St Henry, but coach Fogt got the job at the end of Jan, so she was way behind the from the start. I would say it would be an understatement that people were not happy with the coaching staff in the past and that St Henry had as much talent as the top teams in the area but never lived up to that. They lost one of the better players and pitchers in the area with Salzer moving on along with some other very nice players.

Key wins off the top of my head would be Boone and Gallatin County and Bracken County which beat NDA twice. If GC was in the 9th they would for sure be in the top 4 talk. They finished 4th in the All A state tourney also. Not sure they have any real bad losses unless you count the 2-1 loss to Cooper bad.

I can't really speak about the Development of personel. What they have done from the outside looking in is change the culture there.

As far as other coaches you have to have NDA's coach and Highlands coach up there along with Coach P at Boone. NDA and Highlands were benefited greatly by having pitchers transfer into their schools but have still done a great job.

This was a BIG boast to both programs, both teams were made stronger with these additions. Highlands benefited the most IMO, from a pitching standpoint, because they only had one other quality pitcher (Leighty) while the Pandas had Stewart and Jones. The addition of Haylee Smith definitely makes ND a regional favorite though.

Ms. Fogt has done an outstanding job and is definitely worth the nomination! Especially after taking the reigns late!

If they graduated half their team, then records from year to year don't mean much. I have no idea what they had last year vs. this year.

But my point for using the previous year's record is...it can be a measurement. I will use my daughter's team (HHS) as an example. They were 10-19 a year ago and only graduated one senior. Yes a nice pitcher transferred in, but they still had Leighty that i think pitches for the same travel team as Spencer. So, yes, they got a pitcher (who several on here have said doesn't make them a regional contender), but they basically flipped flopped their wins and losses from a year ago with basically the same team. Lost one (a senior leader) and gained one. That's where a look at last year's record vs this year's record may apply. but you're right, it may not apply to all teams.

I know ND got Smith and that was dropped in their lap, but let's not take away the fact they are still very good. HHS actually hit Smith in their matchups and the ND defense made plays to keep them off the bases. Nice plays! They also hit. So Smith may have jolted them to the top of the region, but I think there is some great coaching going on with the rest of their team also. And from watching them against HHS the other night, I think HHS only recognized 2 seniors. So they got it going on at ND as well. I just hate to see a great coaching job overshadowed because of a great transfer. It definitely helped, but the foundation was already there.

What about Dixie? I know they have been quiet this year, but if i'm not mistaken, they have had a pretty good year after what they've gone through. From talking with one of their parents, I think they had 3 girls transfer out and a couple decide not to play. To hold that together and have a competitive season deserves some recognition as well.

I also agree with the job done at Boone this year! Great year for the rebels!

This was a BIG boast to both programs, both teams were made stronger with these additions. Highlands benefited the most IMO, from a pitching standpoint, because they only had one other quality pitcher (Leighty) while the Pandas had Stewart and Jones. The addition of Haylee Smith definitely makes ND a regional favorite though.

Ok are you nuts, NDA is the top team in the 9th and no disrespect to the other pitchers but they are not the top team with out Smith so I say NDA benefited the most. I would take it a step farther and say if Smith would have transfered to HHS they would be the top team in the 9th. Pitching matters.

Ok are you nuts, NDA is the top team in the 9th and no disrespect to the other pitchers but they are not the top team with out Smith so I say NDA benefited the most. I would take it a step farther and say if Smith would have transfered to HHS they would be the top team in the 9th. Pitching matters.

I agree, pitching matters, and true the addition of Haylee makes them top contenders. However, my point was ND still had two very solid pitchers before Haylee entered the mix, while our friends at the Fort ONLY had one in Leighty. With the addition of Spencer you have two good pitchers, and more importantly, Leighty is able to solidify the outfield. If ND doesn't get Haylee they still have a solid pitching staff.

St. Henry had like 7 players starting this year. Freedom got the job one week before practices started. This team has come a LONG way from start of year. Most of all, the team has come together very well, they like the coaching staff, and each other. They pull each other up every day and they have had a BLAST. What more can you ask for? Its not fair to compare this team to years past or even coaches from years past. This year's team is this year's team and this year's coach is this year's coach. By any important measure, its been fantastic. Hows that?

I agree, pitching matters, and true the addition of Haylee makes them top contenders. However, my point was ND still had two very solid pitchers before Haylee entered the mix, while our friends at the Fort ONLY had one in Leighty. With the addition of Spencer you have two good pitchers, and more importantly, Leighty is able to solidify the outfield. If ND doesn't get Haylee they still have a solid pitching staff.

I agree with most of what you are saying. With all due respect to Stewart, she is a very nice athlete and a solid softball player, but IMO Smith and Jones are on another level when it comes to pitching, especially Smith. JMO.

St. Henry had like 7 players starting this year. Freedom got the job one week before practices started. This team has come a LONG way from start of year. Most of all, the team has come together very well, they like the coaching staff, and each other. They pull each other up every day and they have had a BLAST. What more can you ask for? Its not fair to compare this team to years past or even coaches from years past. This year's team is this year's team and this year's coach is this year's coach. By any important measure, its been fantastic. Hows that?

How many coaches loaded up a bus of kids and drove down to watch a UK softball game this year? Not many and that by no means makes Freedom a great coach or coach of the year but I know she's in it for the right reasons, not that others are not but I do not know everyone else. St Henry hit the coaching lottery with Coach Fogt.

Ms. Fogt has done an outstanding job and is definitely worth the nomination! Especially after taking the reigns late!

If they graduated half their team, then records from year to year don't mean much. I have no idea what they had last year vs. this year.

But my point for using the previous year's record is...it can be a measurement. I will use my daughter's team (HHS) as an example. They were 10-19 a year ago and only graduated one senior. Yes a nice pitcher transferred in, but they still had Leighty that i think pitches for the same travel team as Spencer. So, yes, they got a pitcher (who several on here have said doesn't make them a regional contender), but they basically flipped flopped their wins and losses from a year ago with basically the same team. Lost one (a senior leader) and gained one. That's where a look at last year's record vs this year's record may apply. but you're right, it may not apply to all teams.

I know ND got Smith and that was dropped in their lap, but let's not take away the fact they are still very good. HHS actually hit Smith in their matchups and the ND defense made plays to keep them off the bases. Nice plays! They also hit. So Smith may have jolted them to the top of the region, but I think there is some great coaching going on with the rest of their team also. And from watching them against HHS the other night, I think HHS only recognized 2 seniors. So they got it going on at ND as well. I just hate to see a great coaching job overshadowed because of a great transfer. It definitely helped, but the foundation was already there.

What about Dixie? I know they have been quiet this year, but if i'm not mistaken, they have had a pretty good year after what they've gone through. From talking with one of their parents, I think they had 3 girls transfer out and a couple decide not to play. To hold that together and have a competitive season deserves some recognition as well.

I also agree with the job done at Boone this year! Great year for the rebels!

I by no means want to take away what these coaches are doing I think both have done a great job but its hard to tell how good they are doing from the outside looking in when they have a new pitcher. I understand they have a another pitcher and she may be better suited to play another position but I would think if they were close to being the same she would pitch more.

Dixie's coach would be another great choice for COY.

They had a solid pitching staff not a great pitching staff. I watched the NDA/Dixie game the other day and Smith DID NOT pitch and I could agrue that Dixie may have won that game if Smith did not play. NDA is a good team but remember they were not a top team before Smith got there. They have some really nice players, I love watching #5 play and 00 has done really well in the games I have watched.

Highlands would be a long shot to win the region, NDA is the favorite so I think they benefited more.

I agree with most of what you are saying. With all due respect to Stewart, she is a very nice athlete and a solid softball player, but IMO Smith and Jones are on another level when it comes to pitching, especially Smith. JMO.

AGREE 100%