Clark County 2 Montgomery County 1

Jake Williams on the mound for Clark went 6 innings allowed 4 hits and 7 k's and 1 earned Hobie Hall was on the mound for Montgomery went 6 innings allowed just 1 hit and 4 k's and allowed 0 earned runs on the night hard fought game by both teams.

This game ended very ugly. Seems to be a trend when Montgomery plays at Clark. Top of 7th inning, 2 outs, runners at 1st and 3rd, Montgomery Co batting trailing 2 to 1. Batter fouls off pitch to take count to 1 ball 2 strikes. Pitcher is on rubber in set position, runner breaks for 2nd base. Pitcher balks coming off the rubber as called by the base umpire. Both runners advance allowing the tying run to score. After questioning the call by GRC coach, the home plate umpire over rules the call by saying the ball was never put into play so runners had to go back. Either the home plate umpire's memory is fading, he's afraid of Matt Ginter or just wanted to insert himself into the outcome. The game was video taped and he clearly indicated the sign to the pitcher and then points to the pitcher putting the ball in play prior to all the activity taking place. I know missed calls are part of the game but this was a deliberate decision made when the umpire to alter the game.

This game ended very ugly. Seems to be a trend when Montgomery plays at Clark. Top of 7th inning, 2 outs, runners at 1st and 3rd, Montgomery Co batting trailing 2 to 1. Batter fouls off pitch to take count to 1 ball 2 strikes. Pitcher is on rubber in set position, runner breaks for 2nd base. Pitcher balks coming off the rubber as called by the base umpire. Both runners advance allowing the tying run to score. After questioning the call by GRC coach, the home plate umpire over rules the call by saying the ball was never put into play so runners had to go back. Either the home plate umpire's memory is fading, he's afraid of Matt Ginter or just wanted to insert himself into the outcome. The game was video taped and he clearly indicated the sign to the pitcher and then points to the pitcher putting the ball in play prior to all the activity taking place. I know missed calls are part of the game but this was a deliberate decision made when the umpire to alter the game.

This statement is not about the outcome. It cannot be changed no matter what the viseo shows.

Send the video to the KHSAA and let them see this. It could make a difference about who gets to umpire games in the district/region/state.

The rules for the call is explained in this article:

Clark (10-11) never trailed and escaped with the narrow victory following an overturned balk call in the seventh inning. With one out and runners at first and third, Clark reliever Ryan Frye was called for a balk by the infield umpire after attempting a pickoff throw at second base, allowing both runners to advance, tying the game at 2-2.

Ginter questioned the call, disputing the play occurred during a dead ball because Montgomery County batter Will Bashford fouled off the previous pitch from Frye. Following a brief discussion between Ginter, Montgomery County coach Jonathan Hatchett and the officials, plate umpire Brian Wainscott overturned the call.

Wainscott said the field umpire wasn’t aware the ball wasn’t in play.

“The call on the field was a balk, but we had just experienced a foul ball,” Wainscott said afterward. “Until the plate umpire puts the ball in play, it’s still a dead ball. The pitcher was on the rubber, but I had not given (the signal) to play ball. That move all happened under a dead ball.”

Ginter agreed with the decision.

“The umpire hadn’t decided to put the ball in play after (the play) took off,” he said.

Hatchett added that he thought the play was live based on the pitcher’s movement at the time.

“The pitcher was set, looked like he was getting ready to come and getting his signs from the catcher,” Hatchett said. “The umpire said he didn’t put the ball in play and the rule book says you have to put the ball in play after a foul ball in order for it to be live. It’s an unfortunate situation, but if we take care of things early enough in the game, we don’t have to worry about that situation as much.”

Prep Baseball: Overturned call gives Clark win over Montgomery County - centralkynews.com

I agree and understand the rule regarding the ball being dead following a foul ball. The umpire said the ball had not been put into play which is incorrect. Following the foul ball the pitcher is on the mound, batter in box, runner takes lead and the home plate umpire shows the count and points to the pitcher (recorded on video). So the question becomes did he not know he put the ball in play, couldn't remember putting the ball in play, or just wanted to reverse the outcome of the play. If he wasn't sure how could he overturn a call made by another umpire? I agree if you don't have errors and score lots more runs it doesn't turn into an issue about a ridiculous call made by an umpire but here's yet another example of an umpire controlling the outcome of the game.

I agree and understand the rule regarding the ball being dead following a foul ball. The umpire said the ball had not been put into play which is incorrect. Following the foul ball the pitcher is on the mound, batter in box, runner takes lead and the home plate umpire shows the count and points to the pitcher (recorded on video). So the question becomes did he not know he put the ball in play, couldn't remember putting the ball in play, or just wanted to reverse the outcome of the play. If he wasn't sure how could he overturn a call made by another umpire? I agree if you don't have errors and score lots more runs it doesn't turn into an issue about a ridiculous call made by an umpire but here's yet another example of an umpire controlling the outcome of the game.

I you sent it to the KHSAA yet?

No. Even though it was a horrible call whether you believe it was intentional or just lost his memory, you still have to live with these umpires as they often show up in district and regional tourneys. Last year Coach Combs was tossed in the first inning of the district tourny because of something he said to the umpire 5 years prior. That's what he told our asst coach before he threatened to toss him next.

Last year Coach Combs was tossed in the first inning of the district tourny because of something he said to the umpire 5 years prior. That's what he told our asst coach before he threatened to toss him next.

Do you really believe that?

Do you really believe that?

The statement is factual. If I do recall correctly, the call blockhead is referring to was a call at home plate that decided the game. A GRC player was called safe, and the next day, the paper in Montgomery County had a picture of the play on the front page that clearly showed he was out. I have some friends close to Montgomery County's program and I have heard this particular story, along with many others, told too many times...

The statement is factual. If I do recall correctly, the call blockhead is referring to was a call at home plate that decided the game. A GRC player was called safe, and the next day, the paper in Montgomery County had a picture of the play on the front page that clearly showed he was out. I have some friends close to Montgomery County's program and I have heard this particular story, along with many others, told too many times...

I don't doubt that a high school umpire missed a call five years ago. What I find hard to believe is that a umpire ejected a coach over something that was said five years ago.

How did it happen? Did the umpire just walk up to the coach and say, "I remember what you said five years ago, your Ejected".

Is that how it happened? Find that hard to believe?

Was this the first time the coach and umpire had seen each other in five years? Find that hard to believe also.

I would just like to hear the real story because Blockhead's version seems a little fishy.

First round district tournament game between Montgomery and Clark at Clark County in 2012. In top of the first inning one of our players is called out at 3rd base on a questionable call to end the inning. Montgomery county was in 3B dugout. Following the call the player took off his helmet and tossed it to the Montgomery Co dugout. The umpire then ejected the player. The head coach at Montgomery was coaching 3B and questioned the call to eject the player. The Moco head coach had lost his cool in previous games but was under control in this game but was ejected in short order by the same umpire. The asst coach came from 1B coaching box to the umpire to see what was going on and he was finally told by that same umpire that the head coach was ejected because of something he said 5 years previous and the asst coach would be ejected next if he continued the conversation. I've discussed this with the same asst coach and that was exactly what he was told. If an umpire ejected a coach for a good reason wouldn't they share that rather than make up some other excuse? Later in that same game one of the GRC players bunts a ball in front of the plate which bounces high and he runs into it to deflect it off his chest toward 3B. A 3 man crew couldn't see this and is called safe. That became the winning run. A shortstop and head coach are tossed in the 1st inning and what became the winning run was given a free pass on base. This is all in a 1st round district game so the winner advances and the loser stays home. It certainly appears the umpires wanted to be involved in the outcome rather than just officiate the game. MoCo won't use the umpire in question but I'm not sure if that exemption works in post season play.