Franklin County Weightlifting Competition Results.

This Competition Consisted of all the teams in there 3a football district.

Varsity- 1st place Lexington Catholic 2nd Place Franklin County, 3rd Place East Jessamine

Junior Varsity- 1st place LEx. Cath. 2nd place Franklin County, 3rd Place Harrison co.

Some strong kids especially with most team just getting back in the weight room.

Jeffrey wheat from Franklin county was very impressive along with Ben Revere from Lex. Catholic

Western Hills also had 3 to 4 very strong kids.

Varsity- 1st place Lexington Catholic 2nd Place Franklin County, 3rd Place East Jessamine

Junior Varsity- 1st place LEx. Cath. 2nd place Franklin County, 3rd Place Harrison co.

Some strong kids especially with most team just getting back in the weight room.

Jeffrey wheat from Franklin county was very impressive along with Ben Revere from Lex. Catholic

You got any numbers on these guys?

It is my understanding that Ammons for Franklin County did not compete as he is playing Basketball, but I'm sure that the other teams had kids that did not compete as well.

Wheat 255 clean was easily completed, 260 Bench easily completed also at 160 lbs.

Ben Revere I think benched 275 at 155, and his clean was close to 250 I am not sure.

Fanofthe 11th Franklin county was missing several of its top lifters, wrestler Jeremy Barnett and Austin Jones would have place in the top 2 of their weight classes in the varsity and Aaron Mayes would have won the JV heavy wieght. Ammons would have easily took second in his class also, Chris hogan another b-ball guy also would have possibly placed, with that being said most schools were probably in the same boat.

Western Hills was in a similar situation as many of it's strongest athletes compete on the hardwood and wrestle. Bracken Napier easily cleaned 275 and benched something like 250 at 190 lbs. Evan Rutledge cleaned 250 and benched 290 at 215 lbs. Many of Hills stronger athletes were not there due to other sports. Had some JV kids do well though.

Lexington Catholic has always done well in these types of competitions as opposed to their own meet and the state meet. Reasons being: #1 they only lift their upcoming team and do not compete with seniors as they have to compete against in their own meet and the state meet. (this district competition did not allow current seniors to lift, so all was equal from that standpoint) #2 when the meet involves explosive lifts such as power clean or squat they always perform well because that is the type of strength development they emphasize. The brute strength, but non-explosive lifts, such as the dead lift are not their thing, so they never do well in their own meet or others like it. They have attended some competitions in the past that also included vertical jump and 40 yard dash and they were usually at or near the top in these competitions, even when seniors competed for other schools against them. Explosiveness and speed are what they try to develop to carry over to the game field.

Butkus, they won this competition because they had kids in each weight class most teams did not have that luxury, there clean or explosive lifts as you mentioned did not look to be very well performed, if cleans and those lifts are there main focus i hope they work on using their hips and speed in a better fashion. I agree with the explosive lifts being the most important.

Wheat 255 clean was easily completed, 260 Bench easily completed also at 160 lbs.

Ben Revere I think benched 275 at 155, and his clean was close to 250 I am not sure.

Fanofthe 11th Franklin county was missing several of its top lifters, wrestler Jeremy Barnett and Austin Jones would have place in the top 2 of their weight classes in the varsity and Aaron Mayes would have won the JV heavy wieght. Ammons would have easily took second in his class also, Chris hogan another b-ball guy also would have possibly placed, with that being said most schools were probably in the same boat.

Old ONETEQUNIQUE, I realize that strength in the weight room does not have everything to do with competing and winning on the field, but as a person that appears to be close to the teams competing in this district, are the football programs in this district just plain weak compared to Lexington Catholic? Are football programs (other than Lexington Catholic) in this district improving? Can anyone in this district build a program that can legitimately compete with Lexington Catholic on a regular basis?

It is and would be very tough to build a program that would consistently beat lexington catholic. Are the other teams in the district just plain weak? I would say no, Franklin County and Harrison would be in the top rung of any 3a district and are improving every year and closing the gap. I believe that lex cath will not win the district in one of the next few years but as far as an every year thing they are #1. As far as the reasons for this they resemble the complaints for Prop 20 and the issue of administrative support, most of the schools in the district other that lex. cath face a constant fight to get the needed facilities, funds, and help they need to close the gap faster. Those things combined makes it hard to keep a coach that wants to stay for the long haul.