NKU Baseball

truthbtold

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated, I thouoght NKU would get two victories during the week over Morehead and Indianapolis. Dropped three to North Fla. (one of them in 13 innings). Record now 6-30.

I knew they would struggle being it was their first year in D1. I never thought they would be 6-30 to this point.

I agree with that as well. They have several one run and extra inning losses. I think from a Conference stand point it is pretty good baseball, which based on team locations you would expect.

This is true! I wish they would recruit more around the NKY area, there are good players here.

Coach has always recruited the GCL very hard. I do not believe that Northern Ky. High School players are seen as on the same level (perhaps rightfully so). He has done well (much as the basketball team) in picking up transfers from DI when they are not getting playing time. That changes now and will be interested if he hones in on the one or two players in this area each year that might be able to compete at that level.

Coach has always recruited the GCL very hard. I do not believe that Northern Ky. High School players are seen as on the same level (perhaps rightfully so). He has done well (much as the basketball team) in picking up transfers from DI when they are not getting playing time. That changes now and will be interested if he hones in on the one or two players in this area each year that might be able to compete at that level.

I'm not sure I totally agree with you on the GCL players. Usually, what I see are better teams in the GCL. When it comes to individual players, there are players from NKY area that are just as good. Summer ball is a great example.

Guys like Ryan Darner CovCath and David Estine (sp?) from Ryle, could and would have done very, very well, as could others who now play for Thomas More but NKU it always seemed could care less about the local NKy kids!

I always wondered why NKU hardly recruits in the NKY area?

There are several Northern Ky kids on the roster. As someone mentioned, despite the new turf, it's not a great facility. Recruiting is one thing, getting kids to go there is another. Also, despite the belief that many people have, there is not a lot of D1 baseball (just like football and basketball) talent in Northern KY. Statistically, a lower percentage of high school baseball players than football players go on to play at any college, regardless of level (5.6% vs 5.8%...a little less than 3 out of every 50). So realistically, you're looking at about 1 out of every 100 that will be able to play D1. Doing quick, rough math, about 25 high schools that play baseball, 18 kids per team, that's about 450 baseball players in Northern KY. At best, on average, 14 or 15 will play college ball, and about 4 will go D1. Lots of good players, and not bad baseball by any stretch. Just not a ton of true, D1 kids. And those kids will typically have other, better options than NKU.

Also, a lot of kids realize pro ball isn't in their future, and I think choose to go to smaller schools to play (like Thomas More, or Georgetown) where the commitment isn't as great, or choose not to play at all, and focus on education.

There are several Northern Ky kids on the roster. As someone mentioned, despite the new turf, it's not a great facility. Recruiting is one thing, getting kids to go there is another. Also, despite the belief that many people have, there is not a lot of D1 baseball (just like football and basketball) talent in Northern KY. Statistically, a lower percentage of high school baseball players than football players go on to play at any college, regardless of level (5.6% vs 5.8%...a little less than 3 out of every 50). So realistically, you're looking at about 1 out of every 100 that will be able to play D1. Doing quick, rough math, about 25 high schools that play baseball, 18 kids per team, that's about 450 baseball players in Northern KY. At best, on average, 14 or 15 will play college ball, and about 4 will go D1. Lots of good players, and not bad baseball by any stretch. Just not a ton of true, D1 kids. And those kids will typically have other, better options than NKU.

Also, a lot of kids realize pro ball isn't in their future, and I think choose to go to smaller schools to play (like Thomas More, or Georgetown) where the commitment isn't as great, or choose not to play at all, and focus on education.

NKU just went D1! What's the excuse for the previous years in D2? Obviously, kids that have been recruited aren't D1 caliber players either if you look at the record. It's funny how you say, there aren't D1 players in the area. In the past few years there have been kids sign to EKU, WKU, Ohio, UL and a few other D1 programs. Do you think perhaps the coach doesn't like to recruit in NKY area? I noticed there are a few players from NKY kids are the roster which majority were probably walk-ons.

Another thing, you have to make the attempt to recruit players to have a chance for them to commit there.

I think the HC at NKU waits for the NKy kids who get home sick to walk on when they come back home. That has happened a ton of times over the years. This is a way to get local kids without giving them any scholarship money. JMO:idunno:

I think the HC at NKU waits for the NKy kids who get home sick to walk on when they come back home. That has happened a ton of times over the years. This is a way to get local kids without giving them any scholarship money. JMO:idunno:

Due to the move to D1, he will have to find a different strategy.

NKU just went D1! What's the excuse for the previous years in D2? Obviously, kids that have been recruited aren't D1 caliber players either if you look at the record. It's funny how you say, there aren't D1 players in the area. In the past few years there have been kids sign to EKU, WKU, Ohio, UL and a few other D1 programs. Do you think perhaps the coach doesn't like to recruit in NKY area? I noticed there are a few players from NKY kids are the roster which majority were probably walk-ons.

Another thing, you have to make the attempt to recruit players to have a chance for them to commit there.

I never said there weren't any D1 players in NKY, just that there aren't as many as people think. I know a handful of kids do move on to play D1. Even more go on to play D2. But there are quite a few who just decide not play because there is very little money given out at the D2 level. Could Northern have done a better job?? Sure. But there are very few spots on a college baseball baseball...maybe 10 open up every year. Truth is, there isnt a lot of room for kids period, let alone kids from Northern ky. And when you consider position needs, it may get even tougher. I'd love to see more local kids playing there, but that staff is under no obligation to recruit local kids. They will recruit the kids that they feel are the best fit for the program. Just take a look at any college in Kentucky....you'll only find a handful of kids from this area at any Kentucky school. Lots of options for those who want to and are good enough to play at the next level....and that number isn't as high as you'd like to think, especially the want to part.

Edited by rjs4470