Abortion Rights vs. Gun Rights

All Tell

You could be right about being out of date but your argument surely doesn't show that. No one is saying gun ownership hasn't increased.

My point is that the statistics they use in the article are way off compared to today. Also, most new gun owners buy new from dealers. That argument blows the 40% out of the water.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that the statistics they use in the article are way off compared to today. Also, most new gun owners buy new from dealers. That argument blows the 40% out of the water.

What do you base your opinion on other than hunch? You could be right but it would be good to see something supporting it.

What do you base your opinion on other than hunch? You could be right but it would be good to see something supporting it.

I am simply basing it on personal experience and gun show attendance. The last show I attended involved guns flying out the door. Most of them were new, and all of them sold in the booths were background checked weapons. People who are new to the industry usually go to an advertised, known dealer to inquire about and purchase weapons. This info was taken when people flocking to the gun ownership world for the first time was very light. Now we have many people in our courntry and our state making their first weapon purchase a black rifle. Sorry for the cross term, an AR15.

I am simply basing it on personal experience and gun show attendance. The last show I attended involved guns flying out the door. Most of them were new, and all of them sold in the booths were background checked weapons. People who are new to the industry usually go to an advertised, known dealer to inquire about and purchase weapons. This info was taken when people flocking to the gun ownership world for the first time was very light. Now we have many people in our courntry and our state making their first weapon purchase a black rifle. Sorry for the cross term, an AR15.

Clyde, while not dispositive on the issue, my observations are the same as plainspoken's. From what I've seen and heard, new gun owners generally don't know enough about guns to feel comfortable buying a used gun from a private seller. They trust the dealers selling new guns more than private sellers.

I'd be very comfortable buying a used gun from a private seller because I know what to "look for" when examing a used gun. But face it, a lot of the new gun owners are buying them out of emotion. A lot of them have quickly decided they need to buy a gun before they get banned (which I can understand if they are buying one of the weapons that might be banned, but hand gun purchases have exploded and I'd say there is less than a one/tenth of one percent chance that handgun will be banned in the foreseeable future, which isn't to infer some Democrats won't try to ban hand guns). So they want to rush out and buy something, without much in any prior knowledge about guns. They turn to dealers selling new guns to help them (and thus have their guns registered).

I could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised if anywhere close to 40% of the guns purchased in any year since President Obama got elected were used guns purchased from private sellers (and hence, not subject to registration).