No Dunking

Even if you touch the rim, the technical can be called. I was playing in a game years ago when a teammate ran up to the basket without a ball and jumped to snag the rim (I guess he thought he was cool). The refs called a technical for touching the rim. To me, it didn't seem to be too much of a safety issue, more of a "tauting" issue. The again, seeing a player grab the rim doesn't necessarily strike fear through my veins.

I saw that last year at a JV game. The kid couldn't even dunk but he jumped up and grabbed the rim because he thought it was below 10 feet (which from how easily he grabbed it, I wouldn't be surprised!). Other team got the ball and two free throws to start it off.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that last year at a JV game. The kid couldn't even dunk but he jumped up and grabbed the rim because he thought it was below 10 feet (which from how easily he grabbed it, I wouldn't be surprised!). Other team got the ball and two free throws to start it off.

If the team awarded the free throws gets the ball without a tip off, which way does the possesion arrow go?

I was watching a game the other night. One of the players dunked the ball while the ref was on the court. As suppose too, the ref gave that player a technical foul. I was just wondering why that is a rule? What is the point of it?

I think it's Good sportsmanship, From what I heard.

I have seen the refs call this foul even in intramural games. Common on, the boys are out to have one hour of fun and a ref who thinks they are god with the black and white strips calls a T foul. This rule needs to be changed!!

I have seen the refs call this foul even in intramural games. Common on, the boys are out to have one hour of fun and a ref who thinks they are god with the black and white strips calls a T foul. This rule needs to be changed!!

Agreed! I think this rule needs to be changed. If you can do it in a game why not warmups?

The rule is in place to minimize the risk of injury to players and damage to equipment. When I was in school everyone did it before the refs came out and a teammate of mine did happen to get caught. Technical foul to start the game and the coach took him out of the starting lineup that night (senior night).