Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No Dunking

Featured Replies

I was watching a game the other night. One of the players dunked the ball while the ref was on the court. As suppose too, the ref gave that player a technical foul. I was just wondering why that is a rule? What is the point of it?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about warmups, I believe it is for safety reasons. If a backboard shatters no game.

If it is during a game then that is a horrible call, but I'm sure there is a rule about dunking during warmups when the refs are out.

  • Author

Yes, I mean during warmups.

The refs come out at the 15:00 minute mark. Dunking prior to that is allowed. Dunking after that is a technical foul.

 

Why? Its an old rule and I'm sure its related to safety.

The refs come out at the 15:00 minute mark. Dunking prior to that is allowed. Dunking after that is a technical foul.

 

Why? Its an old rule and I'm sure its related to safety.

So by rule players can be unsafe for 5 minutes but real safe for the last 15 min. of warmups that never made sense to me.

So by rule players can be unsafe for 5 minutes but real safe for the last 15 min. of warmups that never made sense to me.

 

Apparently so.

BTW, that dunk that results in a T also causes the other team to start the game with the ball. You could be down 5-0 before ever seeing the ball.

Well, its not legal to do it before the refs come out. The refs cant penalize what they dont see.

Out of sight out of mind.

I saw a game last year in the Louisville area where the players were dunking all over the place in warmups, and as the officials came out on the floor they blew their whistles several times just to make sure everybody knew they were there and it was time to knock it off. I had never seen that before and thought it was interesting, because the players couldn't help but know the refs were there.

This has been a rule for years. I actually played in a church league game years ago against a much younger team. Their players were dunking, slapping the backboard, and hanging on the rim during warmups. The refs came out and we started the game off up 2-0 and with the ball due to the technical assessed to that team. I wish we could have gotten several more FT's as they kicked our butts for most of that game, but at least we led for a little while! ;)

I can't even guess how many high school games I've been to starting back in the early to mid 70s but I have NEVER seen a T called for dunking.

I can't even guess how many high school games I've been to starting back in the early to mid 70s but I have NEVER seen a T called for dunking.

 

 

Really? I have seen one this year. I can remember when they had a no dunking rule during the game itself...... I believe it started in the 66/67 season? Poor Jim McDaniels of Allen County.......

Is it true that the refs have to be on the court or just where they can see you.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.