"Mercy Rule" / Running Clock

We now have had several opportunities to witness the new "mercy rule" in girls' (and boys') basketball games. What opinions have you? My take is that the game really zooms by quickly once the stop switch is turned off, which well serves the rule's intended purpose. The misery factor is reduced for the losing team; it appears that one trade-off is that the reserve players may get a reduced opportunity to play for the winning team.

I would say the big losers are the starters on the losing team. They were obviously outmatched by the winning teams starters, but could benefit by playing against the winning teams third string. They are probably not pushed in practice by their second string. If you run the clock you shorten the portion of the game that provides the greatest opportunity for growth of the losing team. I think the running clock rule should be at the losing coaches discretion.

I would say the big losers are the starters on the losing team. They were obviously outmatched by the winning teams starters, but could benefit by playing against the winning teams third string. They are probably not pushed in practice by their second string. If you run the clock you shorten the portion of the game that provides the greatest opportunity for growth of the losing team. I think the running clock rule should be at the losing coaches discretion.

I was against you the whole way until your last sentance which I think is an outstanding idea! The reason I'm for the running clock is because most of the time the losing team could care less about their development in situations like like that. Especially in girl's bball, they just want off the floor and the embarrassment to stop. I don't think they get anything out of "practicing" against a 3rd team. Once they are down that much, most hang up the towel and aren't learning anyway. But if a losing coach is okay with it and can keep the girls focused, I agree 100% it should be there choice.

Also the other post stating the reserves for the winning team get playing time...I think most could care less about that in a game like that. When reserves get playing time in a varsity game, they usually want it to be meanignful time. Being thrown into a blow out situation really doesn't have the same reward. They have a whole game to get playing time. It's called JV and it's competitive and its against girls of similar talent (most of the time).

Just my opinion. No one wins in most of these situations.

I understand your thinking, but I think that could open up a can of worms. If a coach agrees to a running clock, then it may appear that he has given up on his team. And conversely, if he doesn't want the running clock, I guarantee you there will be people that said he wanted to embarrass his team to get some point across. So, take it completely out of their hands. Tell the players, you don't want a running clock? Then don't fall behind by 35. Simple as that.

I agree with you. Many of these smaller schools lack depth and sometimes the best way for them to practice is against somebody else's second and third strings.