KY Heat Rule Silly for Baseball?

I would say the heat rule is not as important for baseball as it is for football. In a baseball game, there is a chance to constantly hydrate, sit in the shade of the dugout, and the catchers can remove their gear in between innings. While in a football game, the players are pretty much stuck in the heat, and cant remove their gear, with the exception of the helmet. I think the rule says that if it's over 100* that a water break is required every 30 minutes. Well, in a baseball game, this is done in any weather due to the changing of the innings. I would like to see the KHSAA amend it's rule for certain sports, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Rule has to be all sport inclusive due to the fact it also effects Gyms with no air conditioning as well. I will still abide by the thought that if 105 Heat index is bad for football kids, its bad for baseball/softball, golf, track, cross country, lacross, bass fishing, soccer, cheerleading and all the officials out there with these sports as well.

Summer sports are made to play in the heat. If proper hydration and nutrition routines are followed, as well as frequent breaks from strenious activity, then there should be no problem. I remember playing several games, both football and baseball, in which the heat index was well over 100, but that was before all of the heat related deaths in recent years.

When the 9th region baseball tournament game, Highlands/Conner was postponed this year due to heat, all the players and most of the coaches, along with the athletic directors wanted to play the game. By the time they made the decision to postpone the Highlands/Conner game, they could have gotten the darn thing in. In my opinion its silly.

Summer sports are made to play in the heat. If proper hydration and nutrition routines are followed, as well as frequent breaks from strenious activity, then there should be no problem. I remember playing several games, both football and baseball, in which the heat index was well over 100, but that was before all of the heat related deaths in recent years.

When the 9th region baseball tournament game, Highlands/Conner was postponed this year due to heat, all the players and most of the coaches, along with the athletic directors wanted to play the game. By the time they made the decision to postpone the Highlands/Conner game, they could have gotten the darn thing in. In my opinion its silly.

I was told by one freedom staff member that the heat index on the field prior to the decision being made for the Highlands/Conner game was 99. One AD stated that if it hit a 100 his team was not allowed to play. The staff guy also said that in the 20 minutes they spent on the field trying to decide when to play that game the temp on the field rose to 105. I believe the right call was made.

Does anyone like the rule, no. But it is in place for the safety of all that are participating (players, coaches, umpires). Right/Wrong the safety of the student/athlete should be the number one priority.