Nationals at Reds Series 5/11 thru 5/13/12

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is a former first rounder of the Phillies...He has put together a nice year so far in the minors and has a little pop...Im all for putting him at third and Frazier in left...Anything over. 220 or so and you got a significant improvment from Rolen and he is another left handed bat...Add in that Frazier in Left is a huge upgrade and that is what I hope to see for a short while here...

Costanzo was a 2nd round pick by the Phillies in June '05...

Lou Pinella's winning percentage his last 7 seasons as manager - .472.

Jim Leyland is barely over .500 for his career.

"Genius" Mauch had a losing record as a manager.

Chuck Tanner had a losing record as manager.

Sparky had a .516 record as a Tiger manager with losing records in 5 of the last 7 season he managed.

My point is you can slice and dice numbers and make any manager look bad. Is Dusty a great manager - IMO no. But he is definitely above average and, as I said above, IMO in the top 5 Reds managers over the past 50 years. Every single manager on every level of baseball can get second guessed in virtually every game and Cincinnati fans are among the best at it.

Costanzo was a 2nd round pick by the Phillies in June '05...

Thanks I knew he was very highly thought of just not sure how high he went...Im very very proud of him though making his first trip to the bigs...He has earned it imo and I hope he is hungry, proves himselves and is here to stay...

For me, best Reds manager since Davey Johnson.

Sparky, Lou, Pete, Davey, Dusty ... that's my top 5 in order.

Sparky had a .516 record as a Tiger manager with losing records in 5 of the last 7 season he managed.

My point is you can slice and dice numbers and make any manager look bad. Is Dusty a great manager - IMO no. But he is definitely above average and, as I said above, IMO in the top 5 Reds managers over the past 50 years. Every single manager on every level of baseball can get second guessed in virtually every game and Cincinnati fans are among the best at it.

So you think it was a logical move to let Latos bat for himself and then replace him? That isn't even second guessing, that is pointing out a moronic move.

The list of Reds managers for the last 50 years is not a very inspiring crew to begin with. All it would take would be a slightly above average manager to have a chance to break the top 5. However, I think I'd put Fred Hutchinson in there over Dusty. He's in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Numbers are just numbers some managers can be great strategists and make all the right calls but not have the horses...Some managers might not be great but have superb talent which makes them look good...And some managers might have pretty average talent but not know how to manage a game, which isnt a good scenario and Dusty is in this category with the Reds...He is one of the worst in game managers, he is boneheaded and doesnt maximize the talent on his roster...He is stubborn and to patient just thinking guys are going to do the right things on their own and suddenly turn it around...If a guy is struggling sit him dont give him 30 games to prove himself and if a guy is washed up he is washed up except it insert a young gun with potential and move on...Dusty has had very good teams in the past with a lot of talent that made him look good any helped hide his inability to manage a game...My biggest gripe on him is you dont save a pinch hitter in a crucial point in the game for a more crucial imaginery moment later in the game that may never happen...There is a reason you have multiple hitters on the bench use one of them even if it is to bunt...A lot of managing is luck but a lot of things can also be done to increase your chances of winning and they arent going to just happen on theor that why manager make the big bucks...

Hey, look at that. He decided to use an acutal hitter today and Costanzo drives in a run.

So it is a good idea to use someone on your bench when pulling the pitcher? Learn something new every day.

So it is a good idea to use someone on your bench when pulling the pitcher? Learn something new every day.

I was talking about him having Latos bat for himself and then remove him for a relief pitcher. So I guess you think Dusty should have had Arroyo bat for himself in the 5th today and let another pitcher throw the 6th???

I was talking about him having Latos bat for himself and then remove him for a relief pitcher. So I guess you think Dusty should have had Arroyo bat for himself in the 5th today and let another pitcher throw the 6th???

He was being sarcastic.