Is This A Second Date Deal-Breaker?

So I'm listening to Dave and Jimmy on 104.5 this morning and the subject is "things that should be divulged on a first date - already had children, etc.

So this comes up. You're at a nice restaurant on a first date and right after the food arrives, your date says "wait just a second", then prays prior to eating.

If I heard correctly (and there's always the chance I didn't), the two young ladies on the show said that there would be no second date; that this was a sign of being "super religious". Kinda surprised me some; although maybe I shouldn't be since this is radio, and it is part of the flaming liberal media.

Thoughts? Is this a sign of being super-religious? Would/should a second date be a no-go?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evidently the sentiment was that this was "normal" at home, but not so normal out and about. My parents have done it for years and years, whether at the local greasy spoon or the finest restaurant in town.

Evidently the sentiment was that this was "normal" at home, but not so normal out and about. My parents have done it for years and years, whether at the local greasy spoon or the finest restaurant in town.

I pray before I eat wherever I am. I don't necessarily make a deal of it by any means, but I do it. I might make an exception on a date, though, unless I was sure what the date's comfort level and personal beliefs were - which is unlikely. For some people it could be a deal breaker, and I wouldn't blame them if it was. It wouldn't be for me, though.

If a girl prayed on a first date, it would depend on where I was in my life. If I'm just "killing time" w/ her...deal breaker. If I'm looking to settle down, definitely a good indicator of someone that I'd want to see again.

If a girl prayed on a first date, it would depend on where I was in my life. If I'm just "killing time" w/ her...deal breaker. If I'm looking to settle down, definitely a good indicator of someone that I'd want to see again.

In other words, if she is praying at dinner the odds are good you won't be getting desert any time soon...:sssh:

So I'm listening to Dave and Jimmy on 104.5 this morning and the subject is "things that should be divulged on a first date - already had children, etc.

So this comes up. You're at a nice restaurant on a first date and right after the food arrives, your date says "wait just a second", then prays prior to eating.

If I heard correctly (and there's always the chance I didn't), the two young ladies on the show said that there would be no second date; that this was a sign of being "super religious". Kinda surprised me some; although maybe I shouldn't be since this is radio, and it is part of the flaming liberal media.

Thoughts? Is this a sign of being super-religious? Would/should a second date be a no-go?

papa, I am not religious and generally speaking that would not be a deal breaker. It would be something I would want to explore further (Is she a bible thumper? Is she going to attempt to cram her way of thinking down my throat? Is she just as open-minded as I am? Etc.) but again that one action is probably not a deal breaker.