Tates Creek Spring Ball

CreekFan

How about some feed back on Spring Football in Lexington. Tates Creek has been doing a lot of 7 on 7 drills. I think they are planning on passing the ball a lot more this year. Any feedback on other programs in the area?

Tates Creek played a lot of sophmores on both sides of the ball last year, and lettered three Freshmen (Graham Gordon at QB, Martavious Carter at KR, and Max Sweet at DB). They will be returning a hand full of seniors this year, with Dennis Oxendine being the most valuable. He's a strong running back that can catch the ball as well. Over all, there will be an experienced group of upper classmen returning. Gordon had some impressive performances in freshmen and JV games, and got into the last couple of Varsity games (3 for 3, for 31 yards and a TD pass in their last game against Campbell County). It looks like the plan is to start him at QB. From what I'm seeing in their spring practices, they want to start throwing the ball more...

CreekFan, how much better do you think they will be in 2012 vs. 2011? And there was a time TC was nearly at the top of the mountain, is that in view again anytime soon?

For what ever reason, I think Creek has had problems getting kids to come out for the football team in the past. They have good coaching not haven't had a lot of talent to work with. Mike Harmon is a sharp football guy. I think they had something like 10 seniors last year and will probably have the same this year. But the incoming Junior and Sophmore classes are big, and stacked with talent. They could use a few more big guys on the line, but have enough to get by. If they protect the ball on offense (no fumbles or INT's) they could put up a lot of points in each game. They have an experienced running back that can run, and a quarterback that can make any throw on the field, with a few recievers that can go up and get a ball. Deffensively they are solid, and will be tough to pass on. So the answer is yes. This year they have a winning season, and post their first playoff win in years. The two classes after that will be worth watching. Winning programs usually inspire other kids to come out for the team, that might not have wanted to play for a losing team (sad as that is). Creek starts turing things around this year...

I hope that Tates Creek does get their 1st playoff win in many years this season. However, Im not sure if you are aware of who their district drew in the playoffs? That Lexington-area district of Tates Creek, Lafayette, Clark Co and Madison Central will be paired with Trinity, St X, Male and Manual in the 1st round.

I hope that Tates Creek does get their 1st playoff win in many years this season. However, Im not sure if you are aware of who their district drew in the playoffs? That Lexington-area district of Tates Creek, Lafayette, Clark Co and Madison Central will be paired with Trinity, St X, Male and Manual in the 1st round.

That isn't a good matchup for anyone. I sure hope that TC has a good football team this season.

Ugh... that is a bad draw for anyone. But I said it, so I will stick with it. Oxendine will be a scoring machine at running back and receiver. As long as that defense can step up against the run, Creek will boast a solid record this year.

Just an update for those of you following football in Lexington. Creek had their Maroon/White game last Thursday. It was a treat... Very exciting. Dennis Oxendine is a beast, he is tuff to bring down, and that's if you can get your hands on him, have I mentioned he can catch the ball too? The O line was decent, but needs work. The receiving core did a great job getting open and holding onto the ball. I know there has been some speculation as to which QB was going to get the start next year, but (sophmore to be) Graham Gordon clearly pulled ahead. 225 passing yards, 42 rushing yards, and 2 TD passes were pretty impressive. I know it was on his own team, but Tates Creek was ranked number 2 against the pass last year. I was also impressed with Cal Stewart at linebacker, Casey Grimes at RB/WR, Keith Denton at WR, and Martavius Carter at RB/WR. Next year is looking pretty bright...