New Era In Whitley County Colonel Football

Now that Roger Gentry has taken over the Whitley County Football program, it will begin a new era. Mike Campbell did wonders but now it is time to move on.

I believe that Coach Gentry will revitalize the program and bring the excitement back. I expect GREAT things from him and the coaching staff.

With all of the talk, it will be interesting to see what type of offense, (nobody really knows for sure), and what type of defense.

I don't see any givens, and I am sure that there will be alot of people watching closely for all the new developments.

Good Luck Coach Gentry and staff.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Roger Gentry has taken over the Whitley County Football program, it will begin a new era. Mike Campbell did wonders but now it is time to move on.

I believe that Coach Gentry will revitalize the program and bring the excitement back. I expect GREAT things from him and the coaching staff.

With all of the talk, it will be interesting to see what type of offense, (nobody really knows for sure), and what type of defense.

I don't see any givens, and I am sure that there will be alot of people watching closely for all the new developments.

Good Luck Coach Gentry and staff.

Coach Gentry stated in the paper that they would run a lot of option on offense.

Any idea about staff? What will the non district schedule be? Should be playing Bell in City County Bowl and did week 2 get filled?Is Lynn Camp still goingto be on the schedule?

LC and Whitley are still playing. The last I heard, but don't know for sure, Whitley and Breathitt was a one year deal, don't know about the rest, like Shelby County.

Any idea about staff? What will the non district schedule be? Should be playing Bell in City County Bowl and did week 2 get filled?Is Lynn Camp still goingto be on the schedule?

If they fulfill their contracts from last season, they should play Bell in the city/county bowl, travel to Shelby Co., travel to Breathitt Co. and play 6 district games, which would leave only one opening to be filled by Lynn Camp I guess.

If they fulfill their contracts from last season, they should play Bell in the city/county bowl, travel to Shelby Co., travel to Breathitt Co. and play 6 district games, which would leave only one opening to be filled by Lynn Camp I guess.

Dont think its fulfilling...Breathitt and Shelby I believe were 1 year contracts..I know for sure they were looking to fill week 2...Think there is any chance CORBIN could get on the schedule

Dont think its fulfilling...Breathitt and Shelby I believe were 1 year contracts..I know for sure they were looking to fill week 2...Think there is any chance CORBIN could get on the schedule

I believe that Corbin schedule is already set for next year, but maybe the year after next.

Corbin's schedule for the 2006 season

1. Rockcastle Co.

2. Pigskin(East Jessamine or Oldham Co.)

3. South Laurel

4. LCA

5. Bell Co.

6. Pulaski Co.

7. Middlesboro

8. district

9. district

10. district

I look for Coach Gentry to be successful at Whitley in a very short time. Whitley is not a downtrodden program that needs to be rebuilt. It was only a short time ago that it was not unusual to see 80 or so kids on the middleschool team. An infusion of excitement via a coaching change could be just what the doctor ordered. In addition, I've seen Coach Gentry in action as a recruiter for Cumberland and I feel he has the personality to encourage young players to return to the program as well as the charisma to relate well with the boosters and supporters. I'll concede that being a AAAA school makes the process more difficult, but if he surrounds himself with the right staff, Whitley will be making a lot of noise in a very short period of time.

It will be interesting to see who Whitley schedules if they do not play Shelby Co. and Breathitt Co. Will they schedule up(teams like Rockcastle, Pulaski SW, etc.)or will they try to schedule wins to keep some people happy? Coach Campbell was criticized for playing some weak teams, then when he tried to upgrade, he was pushed out for not winning enough.

It will be interesting to see who Whitley schedules if they do not play Shelby Co. and Breathitt Co. Will they schedule up(teams like Rockcastle, Pulaski SW, etc.)or will they try to schedule wins to keep some people happy? Coach Campbell was criticized for playing some weak teams, then when he tried to upgrade, he was pushed out for not winning enough.

Gotta love the old "double edged sword."

You are right but not everyone can play in the west in AA. I can recall several thread where you were putting him down and now he is a martyre....Life is so funny.

If that was the reason he would still be there. If it were that simple life would be great.

You can be assured that Coach Gentry will be scheduling challenging games for his team.

You are right but not everyone can play in the west in AA. I can recall several thread where you were putting him down and now he is a martyre....Life is so funny.

If that was the reason he would still be there. If it were that simple life would be great.

You can be assured that Coach Gentry will be scheduling challenging games for his team.

I was one that thought that he should play a tougher schedule to prepare for the playoffs and for games that determine if you make the playoffs or not(i.e. the North Laurel game from last year). I saw progress in the program last year and thought that everything was set up well for Whitley to have some really good seasons over the next 3 years. I guess you can look at it two ways, one is that it is a good time to make a change since the new coach should have a lot of success and that could create excitement and interest or you could say that it is not fair to Coach Campbell to take the opportunity away from him to coach the stockpile of young talent that is now at Whitley Co. I just would have thought that Coach Campbell had earned the right to leave under better circumstances, especially considering Whitley appeared to be back on track to where he had previously taken them, only to have someone else reap the benefits.

I can't recall many people at all, if any, putting down coach Campbell.

I said in the other thread that it would be a long time before Whitley could compete in 4A football. Whitley is a competetive team in their district - but that's about it. Unfortunate for them they are in a region with Lexington/Madison/Scott Co., where if they win district their opening playoff game is going to be tough. I didn't mean that as a slam on WC, I guess I should have explained.

Good luck to coach Gentry.

You are right but not everyone can play in the west in AA.

If you want to throw stones, I can throw them back. The fact that Whitley probably plays in the weakest 4A region in the state has not helped them very much. :irked: