Oklahoma Halts State Football Playoffs!

cshs81

The star qb of a high school team in OK was ejected for kicking an opponent. The rules say ejected players miss the next two games. Team goes to court. Judge issues injunction against the State and declares the kid eligible. State cancels game until this is handled. The other semifinal was played and that team is still waiting for their opponent to be determined.

Still looking for a link.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just play the game, let the kid play. I am sure anyone would be ticked off when you are up late in the game and someone jumps offsides and cheapshots you. I don't think it's worth having all these kids wait to see when they will play their state finals, if at all.

So the rules apply "some of the time" and there are exceptions??

Here we go again, this is a situation where a little common sense and good discretion could go a long way. Rules are in place to protect players and when a player committed a penalty (maliciously) he should have given up his rights to protection. Even if a penalty was enforced against the QB (position irrelevent) there should not have been an ejection and subsequent suspension. If the officials were unable to control the situation and the player refused to stop his retaliation then maybe the ejection and then possible suspension. Sounds like a little more detail could possibly sway a decision. It is just a shame that our society has become so litigious, next thing we will hear about a tee-ball game going to court because a player carried a bat to first. RIDICULOUS!

So the rules apply "some of the time" and there are exceptions??

I agree with you on this one. This is, IMO, THE problem with today's society, folks eager to make excuses for the unacceptable behavior of others. "It's not his fault because..." This bull has lead this country down the wrong path, seems nobody is willing to take responsibility for their actions.

One of the purported values of high school sports is to teach life lessons. What kind of lesson gets taught when breaking the rules is forgiven so the offender is allowed to play in a game??? I mean, it wasn't his fault anyway... :irked:

Here we go again, this is a situation where a little common sense and good discretion could go a long way. Rules are in place to protect players and when a player committed a penalty (maliciously) he should have given up his rights to protection. Even if a penalty was enforced against the QB (position irrelevent) there should not have been an ejection and subsequent suspension. If the officials were unable to control the situation and the player refused to stop his retaliation then maybe the ejection and then possible suspension. Sounds like a little more detail could possibly sway a decision. It is just a shame that our society has become so litigious, next thing we will hear about a tee-ball game going to court because a player carried a bat to first. RIDICULOUS!

We're now blaming the refs for the kid kicking the player? Where did you read anything that suggested the refs could have prevented this? To me , it sounds like the defensive player was PO'd, hit the kid, and the kid quickly retaliated with a kick. If the kick was an obvious kick, you have no choice but to eject the kid/enforce the rules.

I totally agree....who's wrong here...the player who broke the rule! Next we'll be letting criminals get away with crimes because they can play a sport....whoops...we already do that don't we??????

We're now blaming the refs for the kid kicking the player? Where did you read anything that suggested the refs could have prevented this? To me , it sounds like the defensive player was PO'd, hit the kid, and the kid quickly retaliated with a kick. If the kick was an obvious kick, you have no choice but to eject the kid/enforce the rules.

Probably did not state my case precisely, I think there are a lot of blanks, and my point was originally pointed more at the people who always revert to the courts to solve all their issues. Things like this should never make it to court

:thumb:

Probably did not state my case precisely, I think there are a lot of blanks, and my point was originally pointed more at the people who always revert to the courts to solve all their issues. Things like this should never make it to court

I agree with you on this one. This is, IMO, THE problem with today's society, folks eager to make excuses for the unacceptable behavior of others. "It's not his fault because..." This bull has lead this country down the wrong path, seems nobody is willing to take responsibility for their actions.

One of the purported values of high school sports is to teach life lessons. What kind of lesson gets taught when breaking the rules is forgiven so the offender is allowed to play in a game??? I mean, it wasn't his fault anyway... :irked:

Or, if you don't like the consequences, take it to court...