Corbin vs. Washington County

WILDMAN

The game is Friday night in Corbin!

What kinda team is Washington County (style, players, who have they played/beat, ect?)

Corbin is starting to click and the Cashen/Tate/Blackwood trio is becoming a dangerous force. Freeman has picked up the running part and doing a great job. Let's hear some talk of the game.

I am waiting until I get some info on WC before making a prediction.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington County isn't big and physical, but rely on quickness. Their quarterback is solid. They have some nice, quick running backs and receivers. The Renfro kid is a good sized back that will run hard. They run out of the pro-set, with a nice mix of the run and pass. They like to throw the quick outs and screens, but can throw down field if they have to. They have been effective all year doing that. They will move the ball on offense. They are well coached in that area. They struggled with Bardstown and Western's speed. Especially the big play. Western had several long touchdown runs. DeSales lined up and ran over them. Larue shut them out which is hard to do. They will compete hard and their special teams is very good with several blocked punts, which helped win the game against E-town. They also do a good job with onside kicks as they did in the fourth quarter to make a little run at Western. Remeber Washington County came down to Corbin and played tough in a 36-33 loss the year Corbin was state runners-up. They got in the playoffs through the back door so they will be looking to take advantage of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see WC win.

Washington County isn't big and physical, but rely on quickness. Their quarterback is solid. They have some nice, quick running backs and receivers. The Renfro kid is a good sized back that will run hard. They run out of the pro-set, with a nice mix of the run and pass. They like to throw the quick outs and screens, but can throw down field if they have to. They have been effective all year doing that. They will move the ball on offense. They are well coached in that area. They struggled with Bardstown and Western's speed. Especially the big play. Western had several long touchdown runs. DeSales lined up and ran over them. Larue shut them out which is hard to do. They will compete hard and their special teams is very good with several blocked punts, which helped win the game against E-town. They also do a good job with onside kicks as they did in the fourth quarter to make a little run at Western. Remeber Washington County came down to Corbin and played tough in a 36-33 loss the year Corbin was state runners-up. They got in the playoffs through the back door so they will be looking to take advantage of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see WC win.

It sounds as though Washington Co. does some things offensively that have caused Corbin some problems, so I'm sure that they will move the ball pretty good on Corbin.

The Redhounds will have to continue to play well offensively to win this game. My guess is that it will be a high scoring shoot-out.

What type of defense does Washington Co. play? How well do they defend the pass?

CAL and Etown both tried to throw the ball and WC did a good job on them. In fact had E-town kept the ball on the ground more they could have and should have won that game. They insisted on throwing it. They run a four man front on defense. Or a forty three. Renfro plays the middle linebacker spot. Bowen plays a linebacker and I believe Wright plays the other, although he was ejected from the Western game. He is very replaceable though. Their defensive backs are pretty decent and quick. Corbin will have to be very physical in the trenches. WC doesn't tackle well in the secondary and like to arm tackle. WC will be well prepared. But can they keep their composure which they lost against Western with the personal fouls and trash talking? Wright would have been thrown out down there in the first minutes of the game as soon as the fans got on him, so it is probably well that he watch from the sidelines. If Corbin gets in their heads it could be a long night for WC.

CAL and Etown both tried to throw the ball and WC did a good job on them. In fact had E-town kept the ball on the ground more they could have and should have won that game. They insisted on throwing it. They run a four man front on defense. Or a forty three. Renfro plays the middle linebacker spot. Bowen plays a linebacker and I believe Wright plays the other, although he was ejected from the Western game. He is very replaceable though. Their defensive backs are pretty decent and quick. Corbin will have to be very physical in the trenches. WC doesn't tackle well in the secondary and like to arm tackle. WC will be well prepared. But can they keep their composure which they lost against Western with the personal fouls and trash talking? Wright would have been thrown out down there in the first minutes of the game as soon as the fans got on him, so it is probably well that he watch from the sidelines. If Corbin gets in their heads it could be a long night for WC.

Steve Jewell coached teams normally do not engage in any trash talking, so don't expect Corbin to get caught up in that. I do remember the last time that Washington Co. came to town though and they seemed to try and play that way that night also.

Hopefully none of that garbage will go on Friday and both teams play good, clean football.

Do they play zone or man-to-man in the secondary?

I don't think it was the Corbin players, but some fans that got the players riled up. Against Western, WC was down 28-0. You really need to keep your mouth shut at that point, but two or three players, not the whole team lost there composure. I hope the fans understand the magnitude of Corbin football and it's past history. It has been a good program in a football crazy area for years.

I don't think Perry played any at UK, but he was on the team. He was behind Couch and Mumme. Then Lorenzen came in behind them. He apparently paid attention on the sidelines because he has done a pretty decent job so far at WC and he has some good talent coming up. A lot to look forward to. Also some kids with better leadership ability than this years group of seniors apparently are lacking.