Cincinnati 46 East Carolina 43

Walter

Looks like Fickell doesn’t want the USC job.

Games like this are going to happen where you let a team that you are much better than push you to the limits. Being a B10 and OSU guy, you should know this. See Illinois-Wisconsin this year and Purdue for you guys last year. It's college football and it happens. Being able to overcome playing terrible and get the W is all that matters.

On to the next one.

I watched this one and having watched the previous week's game played at ECU, I was in total shock most of it. I, like most people, was expecting UC to romp. After last week's game, I honestly thought ECU was as bad as UConn, if not worse.

I had no idea UC was that vulnerable to the downfield pass.

On offense, I was surprised UC insisted on utilizing the passing game as much as they did in the first half. They had to know ECU was susceptible to giving up the QB run and was weak against the run in general. Once they figured it out, though, Ridder and Warren had a field day.

For reference, USF tore the Pirates up last week, 45-20, and the game was not that close. ECU ran the opening kickoff back for a score and picked up a TD with 2 minutes left in the game against USF's 2s. The Bulls QBs, they used 3 that night, had a total of 191 yards running the ball. The difference was that they came right out of the gate running (Because their passing game leaves a lot to be desired. :) ). While that was the best USF has played all year, the Bulls are not a good football team. UC caught me completely off guard with last night's performance.

I watched this one and having watched the previous week's game played at ECU, I was in total shock most of it. I, like most people, was expecting UC to romp. After last week's game, I honestly thought ECU was as bad as UConn, if not worse.

I had no idea UC was that vulnerable to the downfield pass.

On offense, I was surprised UC insisted on utilizing the passing game as much as they did in the first half. They had to know ECU was susceptible to giving up the QB run and was weak against the run in general. Once they figured it out, though, Ridder and Warren had a field day.

UC has been vulnerable to the deep ball and pass all year. Difference is they've masked it by getting turnovers in the red zone. That didn't happen last night until Sauce Gardner got the pick 6 to put UC up 43-40.

A lot of that had to do with Freeman being too stubborn to stop playing man and go to a 4 man front to put more pressure on Ahlers. UC had success with the 3-3-5 against UCF and seem to have fallen in love with it despite the corners being average in man coverage. The few times I saw them go to a 4 man front and not rely on blitzes for pressure, they looked much better.

Offensively, UC fans shared your thoughts/frustration on why they weren't running the ball more when ECU literally had no answer for Warren or Ridder. Was especially concerning to see the defense struggle and poor game plan offensively out of a bye week.

Games like this are good for a team though. I'd be willing to bet UC players came in with a little arrogance so it's good for them to get a reality check that they still have a lot to work on.

But... I'll take an ugly win over an L.

Games like this are going to happen where you let a team that you are much better than push you to the limits. Being a B10 and OSU guy, you should know this. See Illinois-Wisconsin this year and Purdue for you guys last year. It's college football and it happens. Being able to overcome playing terrible and get the W is all that matters.

On to the next one.

Bad wins are going to happen, just bad timing if he’s looking to go to L.A. The alumni out there will already start scrutinizing, guess it’s how he finishes this year though.

Bad wins are going to happen, just bad timing if he’s looking to go to L.A. The alumni out there will already start scrutinizing, guess it’s how he finishes this year though.

There's a few jobs I'm worried Fick would entertain and seriously consider/leave for.. USC isn't one of them.

I still have him going to Sparty but it’s subject to change. You know he’s on Bohn’s list somewhere.

18-3 over the past 21 games has him on a lot of AD's lists.

I personally think OSU and ND are the only two jobs he'll leave for. He is unique and that he doesn't have an agent and represents himself , so any one wanting to seriously pursue him will have to wait until the season ends.

I'm going to enjoy the ride until then.

18-3 over the past 21 games has him on a lot of AD's lists.

I personally think OSU and ND are the only two jobs he'll leave for. He is unique and that he doesn't have an agent and represents himself , so any one wanting to seriously pursue him will have to wait until the season ends.

I'm going to enjoy the ride until then.

As you should my friend. I’d argue that Amy is his agent. I don’t see ND or OSU opening. Still think the biggest threat is Sparty as soon as they realize the Dantonio run is over.

As you should my friend. I’d argue that Amy is his agent. I don’t see ND or OSU opening. Still think the biggest threat is Sparty as soon as they realize the Dantonio run is over.

Which is why I feel comfortable about him staying and building something big in Cincy.

And... Dont think he is that interested in dealing with having to play against OSU on an annual basis. He seemed extremely uncomfortable that entire week leading up to the game this year.

I'd also argue that he can build a better program at UC with an easier path to an NY6 bowl. Also, the American isn't the same conference that it was when Fick first got to UC. Four teams in the top 25 this week is more than the Big 12, ACC, and Pac 12.

Which is why I feel comfortable about him staying and building something big in Cincy.

And... Dont think he is that interested in dealing with having to play against OSU on an annual basis. He seemed extremely uncomfortable that entire week leading up to the game this year.

I'd also argue that he can build a better program at UC with an easier path to an NY6 bowl. Also, the American isn't the same conference that it was when Fick first got to UC. Four teams in the top 25 this week is more than the Big 12, ACC, and Pac 12.

I thought so too but he was looking around a little bit last year. He spoke with West Virginia. If Morgantown had a catholic high school, who knows?

Like you said just gotta enjoy the ride.

This sounds very similar to all the talk UL fans had most years about their coaches. Saying how they are happy where they are at and wouldn't leave, because they could build and do similar things where they are at.

At the end of the day I agree he could stay and really turn UC into a program that is fighting for a NY6 bowl every year. However, even as happy as a coach may seem and as made as they may have it. It may suck, but usually when a true football power school comes calling. It is almost impossible for a coach to turn down. I think there is definitely more than just 2 jobs he would leave for if teams truly come calling. I hope I am wrong though.