5A offseason discussion thread

Now that basketball season has come and gone, and the weather is taking a turn for the better, it feels like a good time to get the ball rolling on the conversation for the 2019 season.

This is the place to discuss everything from preseason rankings, to the top teams, players, and coaches in the 5A. Any and all topics concerning class 5A in 2019 are welcome here.

- Who's your top 5? Top 10?

- Is there a clear favorite going into the season?

- Who's the best player in 5A... Vito Tisdale, Michael Mayer, or maybe Walker Parks?

- Is there someone out there we haven't heard about yet that's primed for a breakout year?

Personally, the thing I'm looking forward to most is the impact that Scott County and Frederick Douglass are going to have on this class after dropping down from 6A. They're joining an already loaded field that includes South Warren, Covington Catholic, Highlands, Bowling Green, and South Oldham, just to name a few.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) South Warren

2) Douglass

3) Scott Co

4) Cov Cath

5) Bowling Green

6) Southwestern

7) Highlands

8) Pulaski

9) South Oldham

10) Harlan Co.

Top Players

1) Vito Tisdale

2) Walker Parks

3) Michael Mayer

4) Dekel Crowdus

5) Dane Jackson

6) Devin Neal Jr

7) Jordan Dingle

8) Tristan Cox

9) Jagger Burton

10) Lucas Jones

We think 5A may be the most entertaining class. Douglass has to find a QB but they are loaded. Scott County was down last year for a Scott County team and what will Great Crossing's opening do to them.

It appears that Josh McClurg has transferred in from Paintsville. He didn't play QB for the Tigers, but he was previously a QB at LCA. He could be the answer FD's looking for. McClurg to Crowdus would be a potent pitch and catch combo.

It appears that Josh McClurg has transferred in from Paintsville. He didn't play QB for the Tigers, but he was previously a QB at LCA. He could be the answer FD's looking for. McClurg to Crowdus would be a potent pitch and catch combo.

Wow. I love sports and I love my kids, but that stuff amazes and mystifies me.

I have heard the Crossings opening will not effect Douglass this year. The loss of Jake O’Buck does but they still have plenty.

Why would Great Crossing affect FD or did you mean Scott Co? Who is Jake O’Buck?

Why would Great Crossing affect FD or did you mean Scott Co? Who is Jake O’Buck?

Former offensive lineman at Frederick Douglass and a likely future D1 player. Currently enrolled at a school down in Georgia. Big loss for Douglass, but their line could still be one of the best in 5A anyway.

Cooper

Conner

Boone County

Highlands

Cov Catholic

That is a powerful and challenging district in 5A. I expect to see some real "battles" in Northern KY. This will be an exciting year. Highlands and Cov Cath will battle, but there will be some surprises from Cooper/Conner/Boone Co.

Cooper is maturing. They have played some young guys the past couple years. They have great potential with "The General" and an O line anchored by Dominic Rulli. Could be some surprises coming.

Boone has a new Head Coach and I hear a lot of excitement has been generated. They have some talent on that roster. I wouldn't take Boone lightly at all. They have something to prove.

Can't wait for August.

How different will Highlands look with the new OC?

1, Highlands will have the most talent they've had in the past 5 years. 2, Highlands scheme will look VERY different from the past few years. The new OC has these boys VERY excited about what to expect from the system. It's going to be a very tough 5A this year, but the Birds will without a doubt be in the top 5 in 5A and will battle CCH for the top spot in NKY. There are some talented teams in NKY, but people will quickly see CCH and HHS will be a notch or 2 above all the others.

1, Highlands will have the most talent they've had in the past 5 years. 2, Highlands scheme will look VERY different from the past few years. The new OC has these boys VERY excited about what to expect from the system. It's going to be a very tough 5A this year, but the Birds will without a doubt be in the top 5 in 5A and will battle CCH for the top spot in NKY. There are some talented teams in NKY, but people will quickly see CCH and HHS will be a notch or 2 above all the others.

Wow, pretty bold statement. Last 5 years? That would mean better than a state champion and better than a state runner-up. Sure seems like that has not happened since, well 2015. If not mistaken, they have not beaten CovCath since that time as well.