Newport Central Catholic - 2019 Schedule

8/16 at Covington Catholic (Team "B"elieve Catholics vs. ALS Football Scrimmage)

8/23 at Campbell County

8/30 vs. Cooper

9/6 at Roger Bacon (OH)

9/13 at Walton-Verona

9/20 vs. Covington Holy Cross

9/27 vs. Newport (at Thomas More University)

10/11 vs. Ludlow (District Game)

10/18 vs. Dayton (District Game)

10/25 at Bellevue (District Game)

11/1 at Beechwood

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Much more reasonable schedule - no Conner, Belfrey or CAL will help this team.

I agree that they're much better off without Belfry. CAL, at least the past couple of years, wasn't a horrible idea because that was literally their competition if they had any hope of a state championship.

I'd argue that Conner is a good game. This isn't the Conner program of the 80's and 90's. They seem to be inconsistent-at-best these days, but offer a solid challenge for a small team like New Cath, even if New Cath loses.

I was just saying for this team as well as last year team would have benefited from a bit lighter schedule .... Walton - Roger Bacon - Holy Cross as a group is much more manageable than Belfrey - CAL and Scott from years past.

This team doesn’t have much depth for their schedule from years past but this is a really good 1A schedule.

No Lloyd. Wonder whose call that was.

Good schedule though.

My guess is New Cath's call. They're clearly looking to challenge themselves with their schedule. Not that Lloyd doesn't offer any challenge at all, but Lloyd doesn't add the challenge that Campbell County, Cooper, Roger Bacon, or really even Walton Verona will. My guess is that scheduling those teams took the front seat, and if the Lloyd game didn't work out, so be it, and they opted for Holy Cross instead. Totally just my guess at it, but that's how I would assume things went down.

Although a little lighter than years past and especially last year (Back to back road trips to Belfry & CAL) this has to be one of the toughest schedules in 1A. The Breds will be in a great spot under the new playoff format if they perform well. I also love the bye week before the first district game, great to regroup after a tough first half of the season.

• 4 months later...

From another thread:

Someone give some numbers on starters on both the defensive and offensive side is the ball. Because I know they lost A LOT off this years squad.

From memory:

Def: DL - Sr: Wormald / Lankheit / Howard

Returning: Soph #28

Def LB - Sr: Carver / Kelly

Returning: Craig / Doeker / Landrum

Def DB - Sr: Posey/ Cain / Miller

Returning: Jefferson / Runyan

So Def returns about 6 guys with experience

Off - OL loses Lankheit / Wormald

returns Craig / Deburger and a Stevenson with Morgan as well with some reps

TE: Sr Howard - No returning experience

WR: Sr: Posey / Miller