40-Second Play Clock

zebraman

Looks like the NFHS has approved a 40 second play clock in High School football. It is early in the game and I am sure details will be forthcoming. It looks like it will mirror the college rule on it.

There will be some bumps early but I think it will have a limited effect. Thoughts?

http://nfhs.org/articles/40-second-play-clock-postseason-instant-replay-among-football-changes/

40 second play clock

Must have at least 5 men on the LOS and no more than 4 in the backfield.

Horse collar now includes the nameplate area of the jersey.

There is an instant replay portion but I skipped that because it is for final games I believe.

@Voice of Reason

These changes from the NFHS has been announced in the last couple of days. No reason to suspect KY will not adopt, but I guess time will tell. The changes I see are:

1) 40 second play clock

2) Horse collar definition expanded to include the name plate area

3) Tripping the runner is now a person foul

4) Penalty for Illegal kicking/batting changed from 15 yards to 10 yards

5) Part of rule 1 changed to allow states the option of adding Instant Replay to post season games

6) There are 2 changes to the cosmetics of the numbers on the jerseys/ These will not implement until 2023-2024

Again these changes were approved by NFHS, not yet by KHSAA

@Voice of Reason

These changes from the NFHS has been announced in the last couple of days. No reason to suspect KY will not adopt, but I guess time will tell. The changes I see are:

1) 40 second play clock

2) Horse collar definition expanded to include the name plate area

3) Tripping the runner is now a person foul

4) Penalty for Illegal kicking/batting changed from 15 yards to 10 yards

5) Part of rule 1 changed to allow states the option of adding Instant Replay to post season games

6) There are 2 changes to the cosmetics of the numbers on the jerseys/ These will not implement until 2023-2024

Again these changes were approved by NFHS, not yet by KHSAA

Wow!

Instant Replay hits the prep ranks.

That one, I think, is safe to say will not be adopted in Kentucky anytime soon.

I understand.

Given the current technology available I definitely would NOT want instant replay being a part of Kentucky High School Football.

We all see from the NFL that they can't even begin to be consistent with instant replay and any system high schools use would not be near as advanced as what is currently in place in Pro Football.

I am the statistician for a high school team. Selfishly, I like the 40 second clock. It gives me more time to enter a play into my software. I really like the jersey change. Some of the fonts and color schemes on opponents jerseys were ridiculously hard to read from the sidelines or press box.

I am the statistician for a high school team. Selfishly, I like the 40 second clock. It gives me more time to enter a play into my software. I really like the jersey change. Some of the fonts and color schemes on opponents jerseys were ridiculously hard to read from the sidelines or press box.

Agree with the jerseys and they are getting harder and harder to read.

On the play clock, most crews strive to have the ball set 13-15 seconds after if becomes dead, add the 25 or so seconds and you are right at the 40 seconds. Don't think we will notice much of a difference honestly.

A change in the definition of a legal scrimmage formation was approved. A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage (instead of seven) with no more than four backs. The committee noted that this change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations.

So how did the current rule read? How can you only have five (or six) people on the line, absent having less than 11 players on the field?What am I missing here?

A change in the definition of a legal scrimmage formation was approved. A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage (instead of seven) with no more than four backs. The committee noted that this change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations.

So how did the current rule read? How can you only have five (or six) people on the line, absent having less than 11 players on the field?What am I missing here?

7.5.2 States:

ART. 5 . . . Player formation and numbering requirements include:

a. At the snap, at least seven A players shall be on their line of scrimmage.

b. At the snap, at least five A players on their line of scrimmage must be numbered 50-79

7.5.2 States:

ART. 5 . . . Player formation and numbering requirements include:

a. At the snap, at least seven A players shall be on their line of scrimmage.

b. At the snap, at least five A players on their line of scrimmage must be numbered 50-79

That all makes sense, but what is the benefit in the rule change? Don't you still need five down linemen?

That all makes sense, but what is the benefit in the rule change? Don't you still need five down linemen?

Yes still need the 5 interior. It mostly comes into play when a team doesn't have 11 players on the field. When I would see this most is punts. Many high school teams have problems getting there 11 punt team members on the field. So if one of the lineman did not make it on and they punted with 10 players, while it would not create an advantage, it would be a penalty on the kicking team for illegal formation. Now it will not.

Agree with the jerseys and they are getting harder and harder to read.

On the play clock, most crews strive to have the ball set 13-15 seconds after if becomes dead, add the 25 or so seconds and you are right at the 40 seconds. Don't think we will notice much of a difference honestly.

This is from the article you linked.

Previously, the ball was marked ready-for-play when, after it had been placed for a down, the referee gave the ready-for-play signal and the 25-second count began. Beginning next season, in addition to the above situations when the 25-second count is used, the ball will also be ready for play when, starting immediately after the ball has been ruled dead by a game official after a down, the ball has been placed on the ground by the game official and the game official has stepped away to position.

So there will not be a ready for play whistle? I would think it would speed up the game a little.

The horse collar rule will be interesting. I’m not sure there has been a rule out in place adjusted so many times in such a short period of time.