40-Second Play Clock

zebraman

Teams in Alabama started using it last year. It was not mandatory.

Georgia had a big controversy at their State Finals two years ago where Instant Replay could have reversed a horrible missed call that cost a team a State Title.

I would expect Georgia to be one of the very first to adopt this plan as a result.

Lots of uproar after this play with even politicians getting involved.

Replay would be an option for playoffs only. I can see the KHSAA approving its use only for the state finals.

It is my understanding that KHSAA State Championship game officials are NOT chosen based upon merit. Assuming that is true, I think using instant replay would put the KHSAA in a Catch-22 of sorts.

To the positive, at least we would get to see replays of controversial calls because in the past we all know if an official action/non-action is controversial the KHSAA rarely, if ever, shows the replay.

It is my understanding that KHSAA State Championship game officials are NOT chosen based upon merit. Assuming that is true, I think using instant replay would put the KHSAA in a Catch-22 of sorts.

To the positive, at least we would get to see replays of controversial calls because in the past we all know if an official action/non-action is controversial the KHSAA rarely, if ever, shows the replay.

You are correct guru. Championship game officials are not chosen on merit. It’s usually based on who has never worked a championship game or hasn’t worked one recently. I sometimes shake my head and wonder how certain officials are selected. But to your point, replay would be a way to correct obvious errors which could potentially cost a team a state championship.

You are correct guru. Championship game officials are not chosen on merit. It’s usually based on who has never worked a championship game or hasn’t worked one recently. I sometimes shake my head and wonder how certain officials are selected. But to your point, replay would be a way to correct obvious errors which could potentially cost a team a state championship.

It sounds like we are probably in lockstep on this one.

I think the KHSAA would have to be concerned if one of their makeshift crews had a bad game they could end up with a crazy of number of reviews that would totally disrupt the flow of the game and expose the system as a whole.

This is kind of true. Make no mistake all Championship officials are near the top in their position/region. They may not be the top, but their performance has been very good for the year. There are a few other factors that come into play such as if they have been before and a few others.

This is kind of true. Make no mistake all Championship officials are near the top in their position/region. They may not be the top, but their performance has been very good for the year. There are a few other factors that come into play such as if they have been before and a few others.

I hear you zebraman but I also know from experience that all KY officiating regions are not created equal.