Ashland - 2019 Schedule

I really like this schedule. Probably one of the toughest in 3A next season.

- The Knox Central game should be a good scrap right outta the gate. Ashland will be breaking in a new QB on the road, three and a half hours away.

- They'll steamroll Boyd County again. The fact that Boyd is a long time county rival is probably the only reason this series is continuing, now that they're no longer in the same district.

- That's a really good slate of out-of-state opponents. Wheelersburg and Spring Valley have been two of the top teams in the tri-state in recent years. GW is a perennial top 10 team in West Virginia's biggest class. And Ironton returns a good bit from last year. They should be much improved in year two under their new coach.

- Raceland has elevated itself from a good program to great one. All that's missing is a state title. The Ashland/Raceland series has been a really good one recently. I don't look for that to change.

- The Tomcats are probably the early district favorite, but this district is no pushover. On paper, Russell should take a big step forward next season. And Greenup returns Marshall commit Eli Sammons at QB.

• 2 months later...
That's a bummer. I know the series has definitely gone in JC's favor recently, but it's a good chance for Ashland to really work on competing against a quality team without having to travel too too far.

I agree but Spring Valley is a good replacement. They have a solid program and are much closer to Ashland, located on the southwest side of Huntington. It's about a 20 minute drive from Ashland to the school. Ashland plays them in most other sports as well as almost always scrimmaged them in football. It will be different not playing JC, but Spring Valley makes sense as well.

• 3 months later...