4 point play

dd734

Fouling the shooter during a 3 point shot. He makes the 3, and the bonus.

It isn’t good, but is it really as bad as many believe?

If The shooter gets open, and he knocks down an uncontested 3, it’s usually just a head shaker to most.

However, if you contest that shot, and it’s still goes through the hoop, and you foul him. People seem to loose their mind over that extra 1 point opportunity.

I understand game situations are part of this equation.......

But it’s 1 point.

If it’s not the difference in a win, or loss. Is it really that big of a deal?

Yes. Especially at the HS level the percent chance that the 3 is going to be made is not that great. Whereas if you foul, even if it doesn’t go in there is usually a pretty good chance that you’re giving up at least 1 point. You have to play the odds. It’s the same reason why it’s not a big deal to foul someone going up for a layup. They’re more likely to make that layup than they are to make 2 free throws. Obviously you want players out there trying to make plays and you don’t want to completely handcuff them so 4 point plays can happen, but as a general rule fouling a jump shooter is not a good thing.

In my opinion, it's less about the 1 point and more about the mental aspect of the play. Momentum of games can be huge depending on the timing of it. If a team needs a spark a 4 point play can do exactly that, thus allowing the mental part and excitement back into a team. On the other hand giving up the 4 point play if you are down and trying to mount a comeback can be demoralizing and take the wind out of your sails. Psychology has an enormous effect on the outcome of games. More so than people account for.

In my opinion, it's less about the 1 point and more about the mental aspect of the play. Momentum of games can be huge depending on the timing of it. If a team needs a spark a 4 point play can do exactly that, thus allowing the mental part and excitement back into a team. On the other hand giving up the 4 point play if you are down and trying to mount a comeback can be demoralizing and take the wind out of your sails. Psychology has an enormous effect on the outcome of games. More so than people account for.

:thumb: It can be a figurative dunk for guys who can't dunk.

Really depends on the point in the game it happens and the score. Overall, I don't believe it makes a difference. It is huge, however, in the final few seconds and a team is down by 3 or 4. Other than that, I usually don't see this as a momentum breaker or enhancer. Overall, just an air head move by the defender and wasting a foul.

I think it is more about fouling in general. The best thing that can happen on any possession is to get to the foul line.

Also, it's not the 3 turning into 4. Assume that shot is missed. The difference between getting the rebound and sending them to the line is the difference between zero points and 1, 2 or 3 points.

As mentioned its the same as a dunk. Yes its only 2 points. However if that dunk comes off a steal and the kid cuffs it back for the flush you have now inspired the bench, the players on the court, and the fans. HS basketball is just as much a mental game as it is physical. These are kids, with very short attention spans. A 4 point play or dunk easily swings momentum causing a 12 point game to quickly become a 2 point barn burner.